SAFF Championship 2013, Final, India vs Afganistan Live Discussions

Comments

• ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Even Arunava Chaudhuri is fed up he wants changes in the law to allow PIOs to play for India.. :)<br>

<br><div><br></div><div>Coming from the same guy who wanted Pailan Arrows to play all around the country like a circus.</div><div><br></div><div>PIO's are the easy way out. We would become good, no doubt, but there would be no effort and honestly no pride.</div>
  • AkoiAkoi 2 Points
    Congratulations Afghanistan ...so as i had predicted Afghanistan would win the cup they did. Feeling happy for Indias good performance. =D>
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    So me opening the thread didn't heped. But we played realy well(copaired to group stage), we totaly dominated them except first 10-15 mins of each half. Although Robin missed few goal scoring chances but him being in the team helped other players get some free space to run and him heading the lond balls in the feet of onrushing players were superb. This is what giving more time to coach to implement his style of play can do.
  • <P>
    Akoi wrote: »
    Congratulations Afghanistan ...so as i had predicted Afghanistan would win the cup they did. Feeling happy for Indias good performance. =D>
    <BR></P>
    <P>am suprised u did not  put your usual " Sack Wim " statement</P>
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    I personally feel Wim has got nothing to do with the result.<br><br>Its our team which needs to be blamed.I feel that we did play our best game of the tournament but on the night that was no enough.We did everything other then scoring,dominated for long and created many genuine goal scoring chances.If we would have had half a decent striker we should have ideally scored at least 5 goals.<br><br><br>Chhetri seems a shadow of his past.A normal in form Chhetri should have had atleast 8-10 goals in the tournament and at least a Hattrick yesterday.<br><br>Players like Jewel , Mohanraj , Arata and Jeje have consistently not performed well.<br><br>I mean at least five times if not more Jeje was released  on the left wing with 2 defenders(opposition) and Robin to find in the box and both times he switched back and passed the ball back to nabi and spoiling the completed move.That is not an ideal winger would do .Being a Winger you would back yourself to beat a defender and find your teammate who would be marked by another defender as you would be 2vs1 on at least 1 occasion during the match.<br><br><br>Robin looked decent but is not a finisher as we can see.<br><br><br>Francis looks decent on the right wing but at times during the matches he seems to fade away.<br><br><br>JEJE not a wing player. He seriously does not know what to do when he plays on the wings.<br><br>Lenny was ok but he does not have that creativity to succeed against tougher opponents.However,one of his passes to Sunil Chhetri in the match against Pakistan where Sunil missed an open chance was perhaps the passof the tournament(that ball cut 3 defenders out of the way.)<br><br>Mehtab was decent.<br><br>Defence looked ok apart from Nirmal Chhetri at times who looked nervous but i still feel Nirmal is better then Denzil.<br><br>Gouramangi, Arnab and Nabi looked ok but were punished on both the occasions where the Chemistry among them went missing.<br><br>Subrata -He should have done better with the first goal.Instead of diving on the ball he dived in the opposite direction.Perhaps our best choice for Gk.Hopefully Gurpreet can develop into a new spiderman.<br> <br><br>In Short, i feel that considering the quality of players that are coming through the ranks(U-23,u-29,u-16) India should be winning the SAFF cup by a margin of at least a 2 goals on the day when they are not playing well.<br><br><br><br><br>
  • AkoiAkoi 2 Points
    <p><em>am suprised u did not put your usual " Sack Wim " statement</em></p><p>I still want both Wim and Savio to be out. </p><p> </p><p>@Joydas.........you are very unlucky indeed....aage se kabhi thread mat start karna..!</p>
  • Even Arunava Chaudhuri is fed up he wants changes in the law to allow PIOs to play for India.. :)<br>

<br><div><br></div><div>Coming from the same guy who wanted Pailan Arrows to play all around the country like a circus.</div><div><br></div><div>PIO's are the easy way out. We would become good, no doubt, but there would be no effort and honestly no pride.</div>

<br><br>@Arsenalfan I tend to agree with that but lets face it..we are not good enough with our home grown players if that was the case today we would have been a force to reckon with atleast in the SAFF region but its the opposite.<br>Also are we not losing our pride by losing to teams from SAFF who we all at some point of time agreed aren't good enough for us??<br>We are no Brazil, Argentina, etc to have a gr8 home grown players for that matter Germany didnt have/still dont have too many home grown players..so I dont see why we cant at least for few years try out some playes based outside India..provided GOI agrees to it.<br><br><br>
  • ashindiaashindia 9248 Points
    Well said and I don't know what kind of pride people are talking about. We don't even have a domestic system which average countries like Jordan and Uzbekistan have.

Look at the pace we are moving, there is no chance we'll be making to Asia Cup in next 20 years forget WC. AIFF Academies will not take us anywhere. People will talk about promising youth players but we all know how quick they disappear and this not the first time.

Personally I'm not a immortal so I would like see India do good or atleast respectable before I die and as of now PIO can only make that difference.
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    My Ratings

Wim - Showed balls by continuing the same team despite having Chettri. Bited him but atleast he was clear in what he wants. The formation that he is so stubborn doesnt work if he doesnt have the right players in there.
    CAM - no quality ARATA should have scored in the match no excuses there, I dont see him as a creative attacking midfielder, LAM - Jeje is no winger , RAM - Francisco has pace but poor crossing and shooting skills so need someone better or him getting better
    RB - Nirmal is light weight and prone to errors,
    CB - Arnab for me is not the answer, Too many times he gets into last ditch tackles instead of shielding or shepherding the stricker away from goal, Panics quite often and lacks pace
    ST - Robin for me is a limited striker, Has physique but inconsistent. Shooting needs to be more purposeful

Positives -
    Generally we attacked well, Used width and kept possesion well. Created numerous chances and for once were aggressive in tackles. Great intensity shown, Heads didnt drop till the end. Wim's astuteness and keeping the business on the pitch is what India showed how a matured team should behave.

Negatives - Poor Crossing & Shooting. I mean is it because of the grass or is feets made of cotton that ball isnt travelling? Plus We should have atleast scored 2-3 goals and ended up with Nil shows we either panic upfront or the vision to pass to the best player in position isnt there. Movement off the ball is severly lacking, Need off the ball movement to provide the passer with option. Static position will only force the passer to lob it in hope.

Overall - SAFF has become better and Indian team is rebuilding away from the houghton boys. Reason is because of so many Overseas players now taking the national team seriously. India on the other hand instead of doing the easiest thing of reaching out to PIO's need to take the hard route.
    - Have a single game play embibed in I-League (One team playing the direct game while other playing passing game will not help)
    - Ensure that the NT now has a talent pool setup of 50 players and ensure they play week in week out. IMG league is not the answer. Players only playing that league should not be part of the NT setup.
    - Ensure you play 10 friendlies minimum next calender year. Improve your rankings.
    - Keep Wim for another Year.
    - The Talent pool needs to be having atleast 1 week camps before each friendly with the best of facilities available to them.
    - Track AFC 19 & U23/Academy teams. Ensure a couple are called up to the NT every now & then.
  • samsam 16425 Points
    namewtheld wrote: »
    I used to wear dhoti twice everyday for prayers in my school. And it looks great on anyone. I still use it during puja at home. My grandpa always wore dhoti all his life and still a lot of older generation wears it. In South, they wear Dhoti in a different form but is more widely used there even during traditional festivals. Frankly I do not see it as abuse. The matter of fact is that even Nepalis wear Dhoti!
    You were in Ramharipur RK Mission school? <br>