Indian Super League 2015

Comments

• ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Tough call really. Gavilan has not played over 30 league games since 2008-09 in La Liga and barely started any matches since 2010-11. Only had 5 in 2013-14 before a rubbish spell with Levante and an average time in Greece. I don't think he would be a marquee in Australia. He would be one of the higher payed guys on the team but would not be offered marquee money. He would be an average player in MLS.

Fernandez would only be a marquee on a smaller team like Newcastle but other than that I think he would be like Gavilan and be a high payed player but not marquee high.

• debarghya89debarghya89 7328 Points
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Piovaccari

This guy is also a Marquee in Australia,and that too for the Asian champions..While two of his teammates who have played more minutes than him last season is in ISL & would never be a marquee
    This article sheds some light on the marquee scene down under..

theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2015/08/06/how-mls-white-ants-league
    So far I've read half the article and noticed one big error... Pirlo will not only earn $2.3 million a year in MLS... he will earn double. He is getting $2.3 million for the HALF season as he only joined in July and the season ends in October'/November. His full salary is probably over $4 million a season.
    Meanwhile, overall, this is such a bullshit article obviously written by someone who probably only follows the A-League when the league signs super-stars and does not care about the rest and will at that point go to his Real Madrid or Chelsea. Fucking hell, he even says that marquee players are for business, not the field... that is complete rubbish!  A marquee player is for both. You don't just want to go with a big name and then have this happen.

A marquee player should be a player who makes more money than the average player on the team does. More known when it comes to teams with a salary cap, the marquee player usually gets payed beyond the cap. He is basically the highest earner and with that comes things for both off-field and on-field.

Now, with the A-League. Del Piero made money for Sydney FC? Sydney FC games only became a little more full from him joining them, rarely ever fully-full from him and he was never super-effective after his first-season. Meanwhile, Berisha is an unknown from Europe but is one of the most lethal A-League strikers of all time. Carussca is one of the best midfielders in the league. Same with Thomas Broich. These are guys who have earned their marquee status's due to the amount of money they earn and how much they mean to their teams.

In MLS, beyond the big clubs like New York City FC, Toronto FC, and LA Galaxy, you don't have many teams going for star power. Orlando City have Kaka but the other two marquee players are Colombian youngster Carlos Rivas and Honduran youngster Bryan Rochez. Both players would not be marquees in India.

But why are these guys marquees? Someone can just easily say that they are marquees because they earn more than the cap or their transfer fee was a little high (transfer fee goes into whether you are marquee in MLS) but Orlando City probably KNEW that before signing these two so why go with it? This is a team that has Kaka and was linked with Javier Hernandez and Ganso so why go with these two young unknowns? Cause of what they can do on the field and provide to the team long-term. You also have future transfer considerations but overall they could turn out to be like FC Dallas' Fabian Castillo, a young marquee there who is being looked at in Europe.

You also got the fact that some teams don't need super-high marquees. Seattle Sounders do have Clint Dempsey but they also have Obafemi Martins and Osvaldo as marquees. They already get 40,000 a game so no need to break the bank much, just sign good players who can entertain the fans and create a name for themselves with there team. That is why I am pissed that Kerala Blasters signed Carlos Marchena. They have 50,000 a game, they should not be forced to break the bank. Honestly, save money, get someone like John Johnson for the backline and sign Wilson Morelo as your marquee.

Create your own stars and marquees. No one will look at Marchena or David James as the stars of before but would look at Morelo, who would probably bag more goals than Iain Hume in half the time he did. It would also save money as well.
    munna219777foxRonnyThe real AGgoalkeepar
    Holy shit I can finally understand from the side of the ISL haters: This league is a sell-out so far... too commercial. To much influence from the Premier League. Or, to put it from the perspective of an American high-school: The Premier League is that popular kid who does not have the best grades (Attendance) but they are bearable but does have the most money. He gets all the girls and goes to all the parties, and hosts the best ones. Everyone loves him, even teachers. He does have his haters (Germans) but overall he does not care (supposedly) and goes on. The ISL is the new kid in school. He is weird (short-season, games every day) but he also has money and is not afraid to show it (Del Piero, Anelka etc) and he even gets some good grades.

Eventually, the new kid is invited into the inner ring by the popular kid (Premier League) and starts to hang with him in order to get more chicks and become more popular and rich. However, along the way, he losses his original friends. The friends who were with him from the start before everyone knew how cool he was.

This is the Indian Super League.
    foxmunna219777RonnyrudraDomnicSunbha123atuljggoalkeeparsilicon3
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    edited August 2015
    @ArsenalFan700 ; This is early days for ISL. As I undertsand their plan now, they are looking more for marketing then actual standard of play. Thats why old expensive and even unfit over the hill players so that they can somehow get news headlines in international media. Their aim is to get some Foreign investers like say Abu Dhabi, Qatar type Investment funds who own bigtime European clubs.
    Right now their priority is not goals by Morelo, they are waiting for an Arab Sheikh with Dollars.
    See how they say that in 3 years, there will be one league who will follow all official AFC/FIFA guidelines and will be the main league of India as well as play in AFC Cup etc.
    After marketing in next 3 years, there will be a combined league with big fish I-League clubs like BFC, Mohun bagan, East Bengal plus some ISL teams like Goa, Kerala who get funded by some new investers.
    DXfoxgoalkeepar
    First off, I am very surprised at that response from you, never expected that.

Secondly, would not be surprised although I am not sure how I feel. I hope there is a chance to keep some Indian ownership at all the teams instead of fully foreign. And how does Marchena help with that? If you want to sell Kerala Blasters to someone you don't need to name as Kerala Blasters already makes the news for their attendance.

I also do wonder how Mohun Bagan and East Bengal will get in still with Atletico de Kolkata... hopefully ATK goes and EB and MB can come in but with better operations (will be needed to survive).
    munna219777
  • foxfox 529 Points
    Kerala wouldn't had taken marchena,Kerala ist approached Riise,but Delhi got into it hijacked the deal saying that their papers were false,kerala had very few options left,the agents of northeast helped them to secure the marchena deal
    You are right there. Still don't think Riise would be a good signing either.
    Domnic