Coaching in Indian football

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/clifford-miranda-indian-coaches-football-coaching/l5p1ivch4vvuziid4893cqdg

'Good to introspect why clubs are hiring foreign coaches,' says Clifford Miranda

The former FC Goa winger feels Indian coaches need to improve their professonalism...

Clifford Miranda is of the opinion that Indian coaches should prove themselves in order to change in the mindset of the club management from preferring foreign managers.

In fact, in the Indian Super League (ISL), the eligibility of a head coach suggests that he needs to possess experience of managing a national side or a top club to make him a marquee manager. 

The I-League also has several foreign coaches, which only suggests very few coaching opportunities in the country's top-tier for Indians. 

However, the assistant coach of FC Goa's developmental and junior sides, Clifford Miranda feels that the influx of foreign coaches in the country is essential. He also mentioned that it is time to reflect upon why Indian coaches are not getting enough importance. 

"The foreign coaches brought about a wave of professionalism on and off the field which the Indian coaches lack. That is the reason (why) I feel they (foreigners) have been taking all the top positions, which is actually good. However, it is also time to introspect why club owners and presidents are hiring foreign coaches," he expressed to Goal.

"So if Indian coaches get the same professionalism, organisation and put the same amount of hard work, I don't see why we won't get the top posts. Of course, the influx of foreign coaches is not only in India but for us, it is a challenge to realise why we are left behind. So we need to work a bit harder with intelligence and dedication and also do a bit of research," the 35-year-old added.

Miranda referred to India U16 head coach Bibiano Fernandes as a "perfect example" while admitting the need for new methods when it comes to coaching the next generations.

GFX Clifford Miranda Bibiano Fernandes

"Look at Bibiano. He is an Indian coach who is a perfect example. So if we as coaches change (for the better), the mindset of the club presidents and owners will start changing in favour of appointing Indian coaches," the former Dempo SC player stated.

"I am hearing some really good things about Bibiano. I would say that he is one of the best upcoming coaches in India because his team has been doing so well. We need to respect the experienced coaches but we also need young coaches like Bibiano with new methods of coaching for the next generations."

It must be noted that former Dempo players Climax Lawrence, Mahesh Gawli or Samir Naik have all taken up coaching. Miranda, also from the same generation, mentions that the experience he gained from playing under coaches has helped him. 

"Climax, Mahesh, Samir and all of us played together at Dempo and we were lucky enough to play under some really good coaches - Indian as well as foreign. The experience that we gained under Bob Houghton, Arthur Papas, Wim Koevermans, Armando Colaco, Savio Madeira and even Sukhvinder Singh and Syed Naeemuddin really helped us.

"It's a mere coincidence in and around the early 2000s that most of the players from Dempo were playing in the national team. And it's normal that some players who retire would take up coaching," he concluded.

Mikisanvedjadhavmunna219777
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/gumpe-rime-isl-ileague-foreign-coaches-indian-coaches/wzwpfzy0019vz666hs392974

Gumpe Rime: Not all foreign coaches are better than their Indian counterparts

Gumpe Rime defended the licensed Indian coaches and suggested that clubs must believe in their abilities...

The Kolkata clubs have often been criticized for not taking a modern approach to football even in the 21st century. At a time when clubs across the world as well as in India are adopting a more professional outlook towards the game, the Kolkata giants are yet to adopt the new methodologies. .

A very important part of the modern system involves the coaching staff who are the team’s think tank. The coaching unit is headed by the head coach or the manager followed by his assistants, physiotherapist, physical trainer and the list goes on.

A very important member, who is practically indispensable, is the goalkeeping coach. Only a former goalkeeper or a person who specializes in that role will be able to take up the position.

Unfortunately, this is something which has not taken seriously by the Kolkata-based clubs. The ignorance reached its peak when East Bengal appointed a former striker Sanjay Majhi as their goalkeeping coach in the 2015-16 season.

Former Shillong Lajong goalkeeping coach Gumpe Rime, who is currently working with the Reliance Foundation as a youth coach, pointed out the shortcomings of the Indian clubs.

In an exclusive chat with Goal, he said, “We have some senior goalkeeper coaches who have been working with the clubs. Also the clubs must hire proper goalkeeping coaches. For example in East Bengal in 2015, Sanjay Majhi was their goalkeeping coach. How can you appoint someone as your goalkeeping coach when he is not a goalkeeper? Goalkeeping is a specialized department. This is something all the clubs have neglected. We need to have quality goalkeeping coaches in academies and the club.”

Rime also spoke highly about the current batch of Indian goalkeepers and mentioned how they have progressed over the years. He said, “I think the quality of Indian goalkeepers has improved. In the first ISL, we saw many foreign goalkeepers and now so many Indian keepers are playing in the starting XI. This shows how much they have improved.”

Another issue which currently exists in Indian football is the lack of respect for the license-holding national coaches. Most of them are without a job and the ones who have a job hardly get to execute their own ideas.

In Indian Super League (ISL), most of the Indian coaches are working as assistants to foreign coaches. In I-League, clubs hire licensed coaches to fulfil the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) club licensing rule but ultimately appoint a technical director who runs the show. In most of the cases, the technical directors do not have the required licenses.

Gumpe opined, “The clubs have to understand that if a coach has ‘A’ licence he must have some credentials. He has gone through some coaching education process and that is why they have the licence. They have to believe in the coaches and that he can deliver.”

When asked if all the foreign coaches who work in India currently are better than their Indian counterparts, Rime suggested, “I don’t think all foreign coaches who come are better than the Indian coaches. In ISL, the trend is such that the Indian coaches cannot become head coaches there. They are looking for the big names. There are some very good foreign coaches who have a lot of experience.

“ISL wanted to bring the big names of world football to India. I hope this trend changes in next few years so that we have some Indian coaches who can get the experience and can deliver.”

The former Mahindra United goalkeeper believes that the AIFF ought to be stricter when it comes to implementing the club licensing system in order to ensure that every team has an ‘A’ license coach who has all the power.

“So far for the coaching licenses, the instructors have all come from abroad. Now the technical director Savio Medeira is conducting the ‘A’ licence coaching exams. He is trying to change the coach education system. A lot of changes are coming. It will help the Indian coaches. But when you talk about the process or the licensing criteria, that is something the AIFF can look into. There has to be some strict criteria and rules which the clubs follow and the coaches should get their due.”

munna219777
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/savio-medeira-bibiano-fernandes-india-u-17-world-cup/18kde2pvzu0va1jd0sd8z4nnbe

Savio Medeira: Bibiano Fernandes is the best example of an upcoming Indian coach

Madeira has backed the U-16 coach to lead Indian contingent, should they qualify, into the 2019 U-17 World Cup

India U-16 coach Bibiano Fernandes has been talked up as one of the best examples of an upcoming Indian coach, says Savio Medeira, who is an AFC (Asian Football Confederation) coaching instructor.

"I think Bibiano is the best example," Medeira told Goal. "As a player also, he (Fernandes) was very calm and always gave his best in in all areas," he continued.

"Nobody thought that he would get to the level where he is. I feel that the boys are trying to respond to his attitude very well. His team's performances are also a good example to measure his progress."

Medeira also stated that a professional playing experience helps an aspiring coach but is not a necessity. "A lot of ex-players do attend (coaching) courses which is very good for us. It will help them to express much better on the field, although you cannot say that who has not played football cannot be a good coach. A playing background will however always be an added advantage."

Medeira went on to say that the All India Football Federation (AIFF) must give Indian coaches like Bibiano more chances to develop themselves. 

"Somewhere we have to start believing in our local coaches. If we continue with him (Fernandes), the other coaches will also believe that 'we are getting somewhere'. It will be only a matter of giving them more confidence to go ahead.

"I would feel that if he (Bibiano) has done well at the AFC U16 qualifiers. If you give him all the facilities and keep him in that age group for some time, where we can develop better players, that will form a good base," the former India coach reasoned.

Medeira also went on to praise FC Goa's decision to appoint Derrick Pereira as the team's Technical Director after he served as an Assistant Coach last season. 

"If we really want to have a bright future for our youth, then he (Pereira) is the right person to set up a good youth system which we are lacking in Goa at the moment.

"Everybody knows that what (players) we had produced in the past and it is not the same today. I think he is the right man there to put the system back in place. I hope he gets all the support he needs and hope we can see some good players coming out," the 53-year-old concluded.

Medeira went on to praise the scouting initiatives started by the AIFF and Sports Authorit of India, which has been led by former Indian international Abhishek Yadav. Ever since being appointed as India team's Technical Director by the AIFF (All India Football Federation), Yadav has escalated the scouting projects for various age groups.

Medeira said, "Before, we used to scout only from national championships but now Abhishek has started visiting various states and holding open selections. In this way, kids can get into the system and perhaps we can find one or few talented players who can be very useful in the future. So that is a very good step that we have incorporated."

Giving an update on the next big thing for Indian coaches in India, Medeira informed, "We are focusing on coach education at the moment and there will be a conference jointly hosted by the AIFF and AIFC (Association of Indian Football Coaches) in Mumbai next month. Our theme will be on grassroots and coach education. There are some good speakers coming in who were formerly affiliated with clubs such as Liverpool and Borrusia Dortmund."

spartaDeb_Banmunna219777Carbon_14ashindiakarenesudhakar2050kartik91
    https://scroll.in/field/887082/football-from-an-it-engineer-to-indian-arrows-coach-floyd-pintos-journey-is-one-of-a-kind

Football: From an IT engineer to Indian Arrows coach, Floyd Pinto’s journey is one of a kind

Starting with the five-team tournament in Spain, Pinto will take interim charge of the Arrows team.

munna219777kartik91ashindia
    https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/sports/others/top-coaches-one-link/articleshow/65190271.cms

Top coaches, one link

AIFC has become an enlightening platform for Indian coaches to assemble and share ideas, explores Vivek Ajinkya

From rubbing shoulders with the likes of Pep Guardiola and Gareth Southgate at the League Managers Association (LMA) awards in England to teaching islanders the intricacies of the game at the first-ever ‘D’ License course in Lakshadweep, Dinesh Nair is doing the legwork in his effort to herald a new age for Indian football.

In the company of like-minded stalwarts of the game such as Dereck Pereira (FC Goatechnical director), Sanjoy Sen (Atletico de Kolkata technical director), Thangboy Singto (Kerala Blasters technical director), IM Vijayan (ex-India football player) and Savio Medeira (Head of Coach Education and technical director at AIFF), Nair has made a priceless contribution to the development of the sport in the country in the form of the Association of Indian Football Coaches (AIFC).

“AIFC is a body of coaches that has come together for the development, betterment and welfare of coaches in the country. It is recognised by the AIFF,” Nair told Mirror.

“We did not want to start a parallel body, but work with the federation. We intend supporting the All India Football Federation (AIFF), assist them in conducting license courses and introduce things like refresher courses for coaches who have done their licenses many years back. We will do workshops for parents, so that we can introduce kids to football at a very young age,” Nair said, laying bare the AIFC’s blueprint for growth.

With the AIFF’s blessing and support, AIFC conducted their inaugural two-day Indian Football Coaches’ Convention (IFCC) at the DY Patil University in Navi Mumbai on July 23 and 24, 2018 giving over 300 coaches, travelling from all over the length and breadth of the country, a common platform to share ideas and knowledge.

This was a unique initiative, intended to become an annual fixture, where a ‘D’ License coach can share a room with Pro License managers and pick their brains. “That happened all the time. In coffee breaks and lunch, they were all together,” Nair said.

At DY Patil, AIFF general secretary Kushal Das kicked off affairs with a note about the federation’s contribution towards coach education. Nair then spoke about the AIFC’s vision before Medeira presented future plans for refresher courses and Continuous Professional Development.

The theme of this convention was grassroots and coach education.

Tom Byer, one of the most decorated grassroots coaches in Asia, emphasised on the importance of grassroots development.

Ten years late...

Noted speakers such as John Owens (Ex-Liverpool academy manager), Ono Makoto (Japan Football Association Women’s development director), Dr. Ryland Morgans (director SPI &former Head of Performance for Liverpool FC), Scott O’Donell (FIFA & AFC instructor), Richard Hood (AIFF head of player development), Dr Norbert Rubicsek (ex-Intelligence Officer —European Police Sports Corruption Unit) and Christian Diercks (head of Borussia Dortmund’s football schools) also took the dais over the next 48 hours.

The IFCC also included a panel discussion as trainers, including grassroots certified coaches, sat in attendance alongside FIFA technical consultant to South Asia, Chokey Nima, and FIFA Development Officer, Prince Rufus.

AIFC also received congratulatory messages from newly-appointed Holland manager Ronald Koeman.

“From Holland, we wish you a very good conference, and for the future we look forward to a long-term co-operation with AIFC and its coaches,” Ronaldo Koeman said pledging his home FA’s support in an e-mail to the AIFC.

“We are also in touch with some of the top associations in the world: Coaches Betaald Voetbal (CBV, Holland), Alliance Of European Football Coaches Associations (AEFCA), Football Coaches Australia (FCA). It’s more about knowledge sharing. We want to get their speakers here, send our coaches for exchange programmes and give them exposure,” explained Nair.

The IFCC was followed by a twoday masterclass conducted by Byer and Morgans for the top 50 coaches in the country.

“This initiative should have happened 10 years back. It is a gamechanger and all credit to Dinesh Nair. When we were young coaches, we would think it is a big thing to meet the big managers. This is a big platform and anyone can interact with anyone,” said Jamshedpur FC’s Kashmiri coach Hilal Rasool Parray, whose name was among the prestigious list of elite managers.

“It’s been a crazy two months, no sleep,” said Nair, who has been running from pillar to post to get things in order.

“When I did my ‘A’ license last year, I started speaking to Savio (Medeira) on these lines that we should come out with something. That’s how it all materialised,” said Nair, who is pursuing Level 3 goalkeeping licence course from Australia.

Mumbai’s Manoj Nair is a young ‘D’ license coach who sold his technology start-up and quit his corporate job last year to pursue his passion for the sport. Never in his wildest dreams had he expected to be chatting football one-on-one with his idol. “I had a fan boy moment with Khalid Jamil. I’ve been following him keenly for the last few years,” said a shell-shocked Manoj expressing admiration for the current East Bengal and former Mumbai FC manager, who won the I-League with Aizawl in the 2016-2017 season. “This is the first time in the history of Indian football that something like this is happening for us young coaches.

It is brilliant. The speakers from all over the world shared their experiences, their failures,” he added. “Rubbing shoulders with the likes of Jamil and Sanjoy Sen…you can ask the silliest of questions but they would answer patiently. It was an overwhelming experience. I’ve already started implementing things I learnt in my training academy,” said Manoj.

“I think everyone was pleasantly surprised that the top names were so helpful and down to earth in terms of answering any queries. Everyone went home enriched and enlightened.”

AIFC TEAM

Director: Dinesh Nair
    Director: Derrick Pereira
    Director: Sanjoy Sen
    Director: Thangboi Singto
    Director: IM Vijayan
    Advisor: Savio Medeira

AIFC AWARDS

AIFC HALL OF FAME: PK BANERJEE

AIFC COACH OF THE YEAR . YOUTH LEAGUE U13: ANTHONY ANDREWS, MINERVA PUNJAB FC

AIFC COACH OF THE YEAR . YOUTH LEAGUE U15: HARPREET BEDI, MINERVA PUNJAB FC

AIFC COACH OF THE YEAR . YOUTH LEAGUE U18: BOBBY NONGBET, SHILLONG LAJONG

AIFC COACH OF THE YEAR . LEAGUE 2: DAVID ROBERTSON, REAL KASHMIR

AIFC COACH OF THE YEAR . Indian Womenfs League: SHUKLA DUTTA, RISING STUDENT CLUB

AIFC GK COACH OF THE YEAR . I-League: ARPAN DEY, MOHUN BAGAN

AIFC SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: MAHARASHTRA, WIFA

AIFC COACH OF THE YEAR . INDIAN SUPER LEAGUE: JOHN GREGORY, CHENNAIYIN FC

AIFC COACH OF THE YEAR . I-LEAGUE: KHOGEN SINGH, MINERVA PUNJAB
    https://www.greaterkashmir.com/news/sports/4-day-coaching-course-for-football-coaches-students-concludes-in-leh/301539.html

4-day coaching course for football coaches, students concludes in Leh

Four-day grass root Coaching Course for football coaches and students of Leh concluded at football ground Kendriya Vidyalaya School Leh on Monday.

The course is part of coach education program of All India Football Federation which is designed to produce grass root coaches for the country. About 25 physical education teachers and students successfully completed the grass root football coaching course. More than 100 students learned basic skills of football game during the four day course.

The Deputy Commissioner, Leh Avny Lavasa who was the chief guest on the occasion highly appreciated the endeavour of AIFF, Jammu and Kashmir Football Association, Football Development Officer FIFA J&K and Grass root Coaching Instructor for organizing this vital course at Leh. 

She hoped that such training will go a long way in improving the standard of football in the district.

While interacting with coaches and students she appreciated their enthusiastic participation and urged them to implement their skills at their respective schools. Responding to the demands of PETs for organizing such basic course in other sports and games in the district, DC Leh assured that district administration will do its best to lift the level of every game by organising such activities in days to come.

Grass-root Coaching Instructor Intikhab Alam said that besides giving basic football coaching, one of the motives behind engaging large number of teenagers in this coaching camp is to keep them away from television and cartoon shows which is turning into a bad habit among kids these days.

Interacting with the media persons, Tsering Tsomo who is the coordinator of the course and member of J&K Football Association said that since last one year, a number of activities have been organized in Leh district for the development of football both for boys and girls. It also includes establishment of first boys professional football academy in November 2017  in Leh followed by first girls professional football academy of Leh in May 2018. Moreover, under the leadership of head coach Stanzin Tsepak the girls of Leh lifted the first Inter SFA Women’s League cup recently held at Jammu.

ashindiaCarbon_14

15 COACHES CLEAR AFC A LICENSE, 9 CLEAR AFC B CERTIFICATE COURSE

The results of the AFC A and B coaching license courses, held in Maharashtra and Odisha, respectively, have been announced, and a total of 14 coaches have made the cut in their respective categories.

Module 1 of the AFC A License Course was conducted between June 12 to 26, 2018, while Module 2 of the same was conducted four months later, between October 8 to 20, 2018. A total of 15 coaches have cleared the AFC A License course.

Meanwhile the AFC B Certificate Course was also divided into two parts – Module 1 was held between 20 August to 3 September, 2018, whereas Module 2 was conducted between November 21 to 26, 2018. As many as nine coaches have cleared this course.

Apart from those that have cleared their respective licenses, one candidate from the AFC B Certificate Course was Pro-Passed. Three candidates from AFC A License and four from AFC B Certificate were declared Fame.

AFC A License Pass:

Ishfaq Ahmed

Mehrajuddin Wadoo

Raghuvir Pravin Khanolkar

Disha Malhotra

Birendra Thapa

Rajat Guha

Vikrant Sharma

Alison Caradeen Kharsynitew

Paschal Simon D’Souza

Sachin Tanaji Badadhe

Noel Anthony Wilson

Amit Kumar Jaiswal

Yan Chen Law

Saksham Kakkar

AFC A License Fame:

Salim Akbar Pathan

Manish Ramesh Kajania

Parshuram Salwadi

AFC B Certificate Pass:

Mahesh Gawli

Jose Marcio Barreto Ramires

Koraliyadam Anees

R Nivetha

Gyan Moyon

Stephen Charles

Remus Damio Gpmes

Nitesh Kumar

Mouriya Sethupandiyan

AFC B Certificate Pro-Pass:

Shahnaz Iqbal Khan

AFC B Certificate Fame:

Muzammil Mahmood Dar

Mahabir Nath

Kuldeep Kumar

Pushpender Kundu

https://the-aiff.com/news-center-details.htm?id=9476

munna219777spartaCarbon_14Nagendra
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Yan Chen Law. I remember that name. Calcutta Chinese community player / coach unless I am massively wrong.
    goalkeeparEastBengalPride