2011 Santosh Trophy

1101112131416»

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points
    AIFF's report

Another Santosh feather in Bengal's cap

West Bengal added another feather in their cap when they defeated Manipur 2-1 to lift the 65th edition of the Santosh Trophy at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Guwahati. It was the 31st title for the Champions after having won the Championship last season.
    Goals from strikers, Branco Cardozo and Budhiram Tudu were enough to see them home while Manipur pulled one back through Nabachandra Singh.
    Both the teams started on an aggressive note. While Manipur went all out for an early goal, Bengal preferred to play sensibly and gained in confidence as they played the waiting game.
    Branco put Bengal ahead in the 21st minute. He blasted a Francis Fernandes pass from the top of the box as Bengal went into the interval with a one-goal lead.
    Changing over, Bengal doubled the lead in the 48th minute. Midfielder Budhiram Tudu found the back of the net when he tapped in from close.
    With no other option left, Manipur went all out. And it paid dividends when Nabachandra Singh reduced the margin in the 75th minute. Inspired, they did launch a series of attacks but it all came a bit too late.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.the-aiff.com/pages/news/index.php?N_Id=2577">http://www.the-aiff.com/pages/news/index.php?N_Id=2577</a><!-- m -->
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    For 2 years now Bengal are using players from other states. Last year it was Denson and Robin and this year it Branco. It surely doesnot help players originating from Bengal nor does it help other states by weakening their chances to win the trophy. So my proposal is players only originating from their own state can represent their states although this would make teams like Railways and Services ineligible but we can replace them with the union territores. Guys what do think of this proposal?
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9964 Points
    For 2 years now Bengal are using players from other states. Last year it was Denson and Robin and this year it Branco. It surely doesnot help players originating from Bengal nor does it help other states by weakening their chances to win the trophy. So my proposal is players only originating from their own state can represent their states although this would make teams like Railways and Services ineligible but we can replace them with the union territores. Guys what do think of this proposal?

I think it is a good idea, though the out-of-the-state players Denson and Branco both were discards from their mother states. Without being played for Bengal, their carriers would have been spoiled. So I think the present system has some check and balance for the overall system. I, however, agree with you on Railways and Services teams, they are anachronisms in present times.