Food : what you are eating

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Great bit of History there with Railways and Jackfruit. Its other name in Hindi is कटहल.
    reddevil87
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    edited June 2016
    I chocked to severe discomfort at least a couple of times having the Kaanthal (Jackfruit). I dare not eat that again.I like the sweet smell though, in moderation. The Bankura region is quite famous for this fruit. In my school there, we had the fruit growing off tree trunks touching the ground.
    munna219777red_devil
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    It is a awesome delicacies. Due to the smell, it took me a long time to dare myself to eat it. But after that I have been fan of it. The ripe ones are the sweetest. Typically a awesome desert for breakfast/lunch. Not to undermine, they are really heavy on digestive system. :tongue: 

Moreover, the dried Jackfruit seeds used to make fries and vegetable dishes are really awesome. And not to forget the raw jackfruit dishes. Too many food varieties in Bengal.
    munna219777
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    I Love Jackfruit. there are actually two variates as I know we call the soft juicy sticky one as "Ponous" in konkani and the Hard one pictured above as "Borkoi". I love Borkois.
    munna219777reddevil87
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29576 Points
    This thread has been languishing for a long time, so I thought of posting something here. However, this time I am sharing a Bengali dish, Kachupatay Diye Chingri Bhapa (Colocasia with Steamed Shrimps), which I have not eaten but would definitely love to eat it some day. Here is the dish followed by the recipe:
    Recipe: http://www.eenaduindia.com/just-food-news/2015/06/10173908/Kachupatay-Chingri-Bhapa-Colocasia-with-Steamed-Shrimps.vpf
    The Kasturi restaurant in Kolkata is famous for this dish, so I am thinking of visiting it one of these days. Here's a pic of the dish  from the restaurant itself:
    kochu patta diye chingri bhappa - Kasturi Restaurants photo

reddevil87red_devilDeb_Banmunna219777Nagendra
    Vegetarians should  not feel left behind  in this thread.
    One of my favorite dishes from my home state Rajasthan,

KADHI   PAKORA

It is made with Besan and Yoghurt and then add up a Spicy Tadka.

Punjabi-Kadhi-Pakora

Kadhi Pakora Recipe

thebeautifulgamereddevil87kartik91Nagendradeepu
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29576 Points
    Any sort of pakoda is welcome to me...as long as it is hot and crispy...particularly in the monsoons....bread, potato, onion, chicken...I am an omnivorous foodie
    munna219777samiam
  • samsam 16425 Points
    edited July 2016
    I had this, didn't like it though. In the gravy the pakora loses its crispness. Didn't like the sour taste too. 
    munna219777Deb_Bansamiam
    We eat Kadhi Pakoda with Makki ki Roti. The dish has contrasting flavors- Sour taste due to Yoghurt element and fiery taste due to Tadka. Add Butter to Makki ki Roti (Corn Flour).

reddevil87kartik91samiamdeepakcdeepu
  • kartik91kartik91 Delhi1139 Points
    Kadhi pakora <3 !! In Delhi you have two types of people, one who say kadhi chawal is best and the other vouch for Rajma Chawal. 
    munna219777deepakc