AIFF Champions Cup 2017

Comments

• reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    I feel having regular invitational friendlies with stronger teams on FIFA dates will be useful than these tournaments. Invitational friendlies on FIFA date will more likely to be their main squad or B squad (at worst) not being U-23 or any developmental sides. If the quality is not ensured, then this tournament will result in same fate as Nehru Cup. Moreover,  it will be costing lower to call up a single good team than calling up 4 average or below average teams. There are also lots of small things like August is a monsoon season in India (low quality pitch and game), many African leagues start in August/September and Asian & American Leagues are at the end of the season causing many good teams to send their development squad than main squad, etc.
    Deb_BanCarbon_14
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Tournaments like Nehru Cup are a lifeline for AIFF. What happenes is that whenever any federation signs up a deal with Sponsor, there is a clause that "A" number of matches will be played by the National team in a given season. For last 15 years or so, World Cup Qualification lasted only 2 matches Home and Away. Asia Cup qualifiers were also erratic with AFC Challenge Cup being played here and there. Only SAFF Cup was regularly played. So Nehru Cup filled the void with providing NT with atleast 5 matches to fulfill the sponsorship commitments of AIFF towards their Main Sponsors and remaining quota can be filled with some Friendlies.
    It is only now that such extended World Cup and AFC Asia Cup Qualification process is there that our NT is playing so many matches. From next year, this will dry out, so AIFF needs such tournaments. Just 4-5 Friendlies in one year at the max will not fulfill the AIFF sponsorship obligations.
    Carbon_14
  • BrainFallINDIABrainFallINDIA India7108 Points
    What sponsorship obligations are we talking about ? From where did it popped out all of a sudden ?
    munna219777
    It was there, with Nike or other companies. I am not sure about any changes since IMG-Reliance came up. I will get the source.
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9950 Points
    Playing friendlies are much cheaper and better option. Only, AIFF needs someone who will do the spadework to fish out willing countries.
    munna219777
    @BrainFallINDIA Panasonic had this clause of "A" number of matches as a pre-condition for sponsoring. I will find out the same with Nike deal with AIFF.
    BrainFallINDIA[Deleted User]Carbon_14
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9950 Points
    Yes, Panasonic had that. But I doubt if Nike also have similar kind of clause (unusual, if they don't).
    munna219777
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    Nike doesn't care if they play or not.
    munna219777karenesudhakar2050
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10440 Points
    Actually this tourney is another way of FDSL to earn back 700crs which they're paying AIFF

Why sudden love towards NT when u hadn't allowed NT to play matches in international breaks during ISL
    Deb_Banmunna219777BrainFallINDIAgoalkeeparCarbon_14deepakcsanvedjadhavsparta
  • debarghya89debarghya89 7326 Points
    Why is it wrong for the marketing partner to want to make money?
    [Deleted User]gopiajeesh