Daily dose of east bengal

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29621 Points
    http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/mumbai-fc-look-forward-to-full-points-from-east-bengal-116011600582_1.html
    Mumbai FC all geared up to meet the East Bengal challenge. Though Khalid Jamil receives plenty of brickbats as a coach, there is no doubting that he has virtually made the Cooperage into a fortress. Mumbai FC has always proved to be a thorn in East Bengal's flesh, having drawn or won against EB on the last five occasions. East Bengal will have to play a very strategic game to come up trumps in this contest.
    deepakcDeb_Ban
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    It's going to be a physical game and in a small ground like Cooperage MFC has advantage. Set pieces are going to be crucial and we would need to defend well, specially in set piece scenarios.
    Deb_Ban
  • deepakcdeepakc Mumbai 3416 Points
    MFC also has probably a superior first xi....maybe for the first time...compare dong/ranti/bello to taisuke/choi...
    Deb_Ban
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    @ thebeautifulgame      

Chibuzor Nwakanma

Chibuzor arrived in India a student and left a priest. In between, he played football. Chibuzor became the first foreign player in India to represent all three Kolkata giants — Mohun Bagan, East Bengal and Mohammedan Sporting — but his longest spell in the country was with Tollygunge Agragami, from 1987 to 1997. After a year in Bangladesh (1995-96), his career ended in 1998 with Churchill Brothers where he scored seven goals. He tried his luck in coaching and commentary but gave up to pursue his religious interests. He has a post-graduate degree in Theology from Bangalore and is now a priest in Imo, Nigeria.

goalkeeparDeb_BannamewtheldSoccerloverarun
    Yes, I have read the article in the Indian Express....the irony of it, from a gallivanting footballer to a priest.
    Meanwhile, change in tactics by the East Bengal coach. Rafique to partner Ranti in attack, while Dong to replace Tulunga and play as a free footballer. Mehtab to marshal the midfield in Sehnaj's absence. 
    munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Chibuzor also had Indian wife.
    @munna219777: Really? I remember reading in the Anandabazaar Patrika in the late 80s of his confessing being a flirt. When he was thinking of going to India, someone had told him not to mess with women because in India they are treated as gods. :s Chibuzor remained so petrified of Indian women that he did not even shake hands with them... the first time he did so was because the offer of handshake had come from a girl :o ...brings back a whole flood of memories.
    munna219777Deb_Bannamewtheldfootydiparun
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Do not hold the floods back. This is so much fun to read.
    munna219777
    Another interesting anecdote regarding the drama related transfers in the 80s-90s era narrated by ex-East Bengal striker and prolific goal-scorer Kuljit Singh in today's 'Bartaman': Kuljit said that he played for East Bengal from 1988 to 1992. He did not wish to join any other club. But in 1992, Mohun Bagan officials managed to get hold of him and kept him in their hideout in Grand Hotel. But, at an opportune moment, Kuljit head-butted the African guard of the hideout and managed to flee to the East Bengal camp. Such was his passion for East Bengal.
    namewtheldmunna219777reddevil87kartik91
  • dhritiman7dhritiman7 4029 Points
    Uhhh when its come to memory sharing, you know Dhritiman is always there - Some funny Dalbadal (transfer) story (fact may be) - 

Late Sudip Chatterjee aka Tuluda was a father figure for Late Krishanu Dey & Bikash Panji. Bikash Panji first introduced to Maidan by Bengal Nagpur Railway where Sudip Chatterjee was playing. Later when Krishanu & Bikash pair got famous they both became friend with Sudip and Sudip always had some influence on them. Exactly which season it was I can't recall but what happened that I am going to tell you. Sudip, Krishanu and Bikash all were playing for Mohunbagan. K - B were not happy with payments and they wanted a hike. Sudip convinced them to sign for MB without much hike as Sudip was going to be the captain for that season. So K - B sign for MB and all three were taken into custody in Hungerford street's house. What EB officials did? They brainwashed Sudip's wife and took Sudip wife along with them to Tutu Basu's house. Sudip's wife started shouting ... "You people kidnapped my husband ... I know he is here ... let him come out otherwise I will go to police station and register a kidnapping case" Sudip was allowed to go to avoid any scene and his token was kept by MB officials that he could not sign for EB. The next day it was Sudip who lodged the complain in a police station that he lost his token and a requested IFA to allow him to sign for EB what he eventually did. 

Kahani abhi khatam nahi hua ... after couple of days when Krishanu and Bikash furiously charged Sudip that due to him they signed for MB without a hike, how could he betray them and took a hike from EB? Sudip smiled and said "Ki korbo ora bou ke ekta 10 vorir sonar har kore dieche je" (What to do they presented a 100 gm gold chain to my wife) !!!

(From bengali sports magazine Khela)
    thebeautifulgameDeb_Bannamewtheldmunna219777