Suggestions for Indian Football

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28514 Points
    Marquee Player concept is not very useful in Football. This is not cricket. How do we select Marquee player?? Some old retired foreigner in last stages of his career who is selected only for Media eyeballs? or the best player on the pitch. Suppose Marquee player is unfit-then what? Captain Armband is fine.
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10454 Points

I-league clubs from goa Kolkata must be reduced

• hadfadkarhadfadkar 1236 Points
    that would never happen
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    @Munna219777 And yet it has still been done in football and has worked massivly. Japan (indirectly), Australia, the US, and even China (indirectly) have used it and it has worked wonders on and off the field.

Don't worry about the disparity of the salaries, that would not even be a new problem as that has been around for years.

And @Deb_Ban Well, again, in my wieird fantasy world, hopefully, by the time we get to a point where a 2nd Division could work we could also be at a point where a salary cap and/or marquees are not needed (2020s-2030s).
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9976 Points
    edited May 2014
    @arsenalfan, you meant 3020s-3030s, didn't you? :))

What rule they follow in Japan and China as to indirect marquee players? Direct one l know thanks to MLS and A League.
    By indirect I meant that some clubs have bought in players to obviously play the marquee role but without there being an official rule to do so... get what I mean. Like Cerezo Osaka signing Diego Forlan, the way they have marketed him, and the league has marketed him since his arrival is pure "marquee player" stuff. In China you have clubs like Guangzhou Evergrande and their signings of guys like Lucas Barrios, Dario Conca, Muirqui, Alessandro Diamanti etc.

So they have signed guys to be their marquees without there being an actual marquee rule is what I am saying there.

But seriously, I mean 2020s-2030s. I am a firm believer that if a football league like this was started in say 2016-17 with 10 clubs with no pro/rel then by at least sometime between 2030-2040 we can see a top tier with 24 teams and a second tier with 20 teams with no silly salary rules or stuff. By then I already predict that Asia will be huge in the football world and that India could be among the elite.
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10454 Points

if I-league had 5 more clubs like bfc it would be great and clubs like united sc and rufc and Mumbai fc must be trown ut

Well in that case, I would prefer a direct marquee rule because that way probably the League (League One India, if you prefer) will have some say and control and utilize him for marketing.

So can I say Hernandez in United, Odafa in MB were indirect marquee players? If yes, then how these signings lifted the profile of the club/ the league/ the game in India? Can a sigle player do these, unless we are talking about Forlan in MB or Aguero in Dempo?
    Well, lets put it like this. A player like Thierry Henry or David Beckham would not require any effort to market or spash off-the-field by the team they are on. There names alone can grab fans in. Guys like Hernandez, while exceptional players, still require the clubs to make an effort to get the word out, educate fans and people on who these guys are and why they are "marquees". You can't just expect them to come in and sit back... action is still required otherwise it is a waste of time and money.