Suggestions for Indian Football

Comments

• Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9967 Points
    edited September 2015
    More than entry of the big two, I am interested to know who will own the league post-unification (that is, if that happens at all or is proposed).

If IMG-R retains the ownership, will they be interested to run the league for 9 months? Do they have the capabilities? What will AIFF gain (apart from various kickbacks and the apparent relief from the grotesque situation they have brought Indian football into)? Kickbacks again go to individuals, and not to AIFF.

Will a 8-9 month glitzy league be sustainable for the sponsors? Obviously NO. So back to I-league style?

Now, if the league is owned by AIFF, will IMG-R relinquish the potential cash cow? Then why did they made such heavy investments? They were surely pitching for a long haul, like IPL. Now if they are ousted in such a short period without giving them time to recover the costs, one wonders if they would take it kindly.

Will the ISL clubs, which will be axed (ATK, for one), accept the decision and digest the losses?  Will the I-league clubs agree to make losses to the tune of Rs 20-30 crores per season for at least 5 years or more instead of several lakhs as of today? Most I-league clubs will have to sell part-ownership to other financiers to gather the financial muscles. Will the owners/ managers agree to this? For example, the simpleton idea of ATK buying into MB: Simply will not happen, as the effort from Etihad did not.
    reddevil87The real AGmunna219777footydipsilicon3
  • munna219777munna219777 28513 Points
    edited September 2015
    Kushal Das is talking sense. But one thing he did not say that what is IMG-Reliance take on the new league? ISL Franchises are not a stable product either.  Will they be able to sustain a long league? They have payment problems even in this short version.
    I agree with @Deb_Ban that they bought into this product because it was a short haul, promotion hype with Bachchans and Tendulkars and away from regulations. Will ISL owners open up their account books to AFC, FIFA and follow AFC Guidelines?
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9967 Points
    Yeah, ISL clubs not following FIFA/ AFC guidelines (though they are advancing Indian football as per the fanboys) is another burning issue.

A possible reason for generally-inert Profool moving is suggested by the Bengali Press: the imminent shake-up in FIFA. The most-probable incumbent Platini is firmly not in favour of any non-FIFA circuses. So Profool is fearing opposition there and trying to clean up his dirty stable before any censure comes.
    munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28513 Points
    edited September 2015
    A little off-topic but Platini is not going to win FIFA president election. The successor will be chosen by Sepp Blatter. Platini is a Pro-West man -support from some powerful countries but Asia, Africa, Oceania is not going to fall for that. It is Blatter who gave them tournaments, money, dignity and equality. With Platini, we all will again become second class citizens in FIFA world.
    But before going, Blatter and his successor are trying to clean the house. ISL will be in that list.

Indian Football is in Crossroads, real dilemma. Our junior players are not performing. Most tournaments have been shut down. National Team performance is disheartning. We are short of clubs now. and with this new uncertainity over ISL, many ISL teams will also shut down. Lets see what happens?
    Deb_Bangoalkeepar
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    First off, Platini is pro-West? I will be honest that I have not been following what his platform is or what he wants to do (other than the expansion of the Euros) but as far as I know, the usual big FA's and the US do not want Platini in charge while a lot of other nations would not be so against him (like Qatar for example).

Anyway, on the ISL... what is this? 16 teams? 9 month league? You guys are acting like it is realistic that in less than 2 years we will see 8 new teams in the ISL and an extension by 6 months! That is ludicrous and would kill the competition quickly.

Maybe long-term it can happen but no way not by 2017-18. The MLS did not reach 16 teams till 2010, its 15th season! The A-League is still at 10 teams. In a closed league where money is a major factor, it will take awhile to reach 16 teams and that is fine, you don't want to over-expand. And the length of the league, I see it being more, 10 teams by 2017 and a 6-7 month season with a 7th/8th month for the finals. That is a lot more feasible and realistic and not far from what other nations do in Asia.

As for foreigners, ya, there will be a bit of a hit at some foreigners are just here for a few months till December and then in January move to different sides. That is why I could the ISL doing a split season or a break in January. But overall, with the salary cap, this should not be a problem. Salgaocar at FC Goa already said that the owners are ready for this and that they can work with the salaries through the extra revenue that would come in from an expanded league and obviously things will have to be tweaked but it won't be impossible, not at all.

And the owners. So what if they don't make money right now, they know they won't. Many owners in fact just come in, increase the value of their teams, and then sell for a profit anyway. Of course making a profit is very important as well in the team but I don't look at it as a major concern at this point anyway.

As for the AIFF. I don't want an I-League or I-League 2nd Division. I am going to try and work with the ISL right now cause, lets be honest, it ain't going away, at least not yet. If the AIFF can have the ISL managed by a separate entity that would take a burden off them and we can focus on other aspects such as youth development, state, and community football. Of course something will need to be worked out cause where will the AIFF make their money from but it can be done... we got time.

The pieces are there right now IMO... we just need to do the right thing this time! Eventually, maybe 20-30 years from now, we can implement pro/rel but for now, lets take things slowly instead of rushing things. Things like a World Cup/Asian Cup, a proper football calendar etc, take patience (and money).
    archakatuljgkartik91
  • footydipfootydip Ranaghat, Nadia, West Bengal2722 Points
    there should be some motivation for state football clubs. if no pan India league to represent some of them will just fold up. some state even have 1/2 major clubs, they will also become useless, if there is no all India league to represent. In my opinion I league is necessary with all remaining clubs, restrict foreigners to 2/1/0 whatever, keep u23 quota in palying squad ( increase them to 2 ).
    munna219777Deb_Bangoalkeepar
  • footydipfootydip Ranaghat, Nadia, West Bengal2722 Points
    ISL will be the div 1 with no pro-rel, I league , and div 2 I leagues with current format, but with changes in foreigners rule ( zero or max 2 ) , youth players, youth teams, academy etc. if they have to spend less for salaries they can spend in youth development.
    Motivation for the state league clubs? To be the best in your state? Look at Australia. There is no national level second division, some want it, but others are content with their current role at the state league. Running another national level with the ISL is just a waste of time, money, and resources. We could use all that for more. The goal should not be to make the World Cup yet but by the 2030s at least and become regulars in the AFC Asian Cup by 2027, IF NOT 2023, and it is possible with 24 teams allowed in.

What you could do is again, take a leaf from the Aussie's, and put some of the state leagues under one umbrella. Have the winners of the CFL, GPL, MPL, etc. meet for tournament to decide who the best state league team in the country is and this could lead to more... this could lead to proper guidelines in the state structure if a state league wants to be a part of this... include things such as proper facilities, youth development, and community involvement. Perhaps even throw in having a women's league as part of the requirements (you don't need to pay them at this level and everything would be less strenuous).

And this is could lead to even more things! Perhaps start testing a national cup competition. The ISL will most likely continue with their current game every day format at first but for now, test how well a cup competition could do by having the state leagues have one and have the best state league team in India take on the reigning ISL champion in some sort of pre-season tournament game before the season. This could eventually lead into something and overall could lead us to a proper league, proper state leagues, youth development, community involvement, and even women's development (which we will need to do as well).

This is all possible!
    atuljgDXkartik91
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    +1
    conduct a copa del ray like tournament involving ISL teams and state league winners side by side with ISL.

ISL, the cup competition, and the AFC champions league can form our treble.
    Well I was thinking more of a Community Shield type thing with the winner of the state league tournament (say, Aizawl FC) taking on the previous seasons ISL winner (say, East Bengal). I mean, I could see doing a domestic cup type thing as well but ISL teams would probably just treat it as a full pre-season tournament. It is tough to implement at the moment but definitely something that should happen in the future.