Foreigners in I-League

Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
edited March 2012 in Indian Football Team
This thread is to discuss the foreigners in the I-League.

Comments

• So lets begin, right now if you look at the foreigners in the I-League you would think to yourself "Oh they are shit" because most of them are. You do have the good ones though like Densil Theobald, Odafe Onyeka, Ranty Martins, Tolgay Ozbey, and Keita Mandjou.

Now these guys are good but the rest are shit and just take up room. What have guys like Hudson Lima or Edmilson or Koko Sakibo do. They are taking up room for upcoming youth talent. Now I understand the need of 4 foreigners. They bring more professionalism to Indian Football and some do help the younger players but most of them are just here for money than gone. Is it time for the AIFF to start the "Icon Player" rule. A rule that allows you to overspend on 1 player but that player must have played for a national team over the ranking of 50 or he must have participated in at least 1 World Cup.

We need foreigners like Afonso Alves (Brazil), Lee Dong-Gook (South Korea), Dejan Damjanović (Montenegro), Abdelmalek Ziaya (Algeria), Luis Moreno (Panama), Humberto Suazo (Chile), Nicholas Addlery (Jamaica), Juan Pablo Ángel (Colombia), Alexis Henriquez (Colombia). These guys actually know what it is like to be at the big stage. These guys should be payed 3 crores, not Odafe!

Odafe cant even play on the same pitch as these guys and he is the best in the I-League. Ranty Martins would be a sub in a match with these guys, Martins is good but not an icon.

Anyway that is the way I see it. What about you guys?
  • Smaller clubs will still pay lesser amounts to get ordinary players. AIFF can make rules, they cant give money to all clubs to get quality foreigners. And it's not a big deal to pay Odafa the kind of money he got. He is paid to do well in Indian football, regardless of his standards against other players, and he is doing it.

I just want this rule, one foreigner in starting XI, one on bench. Three in squad, PAO included. Not more than one foreign player can take to field at any point of time. This way Indian strikers will get a chance as most teams still play 4-4-2.
  • Smaller clubs will still pay lesser amounts to get ordinary players. AIFF can make rules, they cant give money to all clubs to get quality foreigners. And it's not a big deal to pay Odafa the kind of money he got. He is paid to do well in Indian football, regardless of his standards against other players, and he is doing it.

I just want this rule, one foreigner in starting XI, one on bench. Three in squad, PAO included. Not more than one foreign player can take to field at any point of time. This way Indian strikers will get a chance as most teams still play 4-4-2.

What Odafa is payed now is good but what he wants for next season is to much, if you can get better players for that than why spend on Odafa instead of going after that better player.

Also for your rule I dont think it would go down well with I-League clubs. I think we can keep it at 3 foreigners on the field but 8 of the players on the field must be under-23 and at least one of the forwards must be an Indian. If these rules are broken then the club gets an automatic forfeit and the foreigners are automatically redcarded.
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    @arsenalfan the rule you are suggesting where shall players over the age of 23 go?
  • archak wrote:
    @arsenalfan the rule you are suggesting where shall players over the age of 23 go?

Defense, Midfield. Maybe 8 was to much, then it would be 8 u23 Indians and 3 foreigners. Then 3 foreigners and 5 u23 players. So 8 of the players on the field per team are u23 or foreign and the rest are any age you want.
    arsenalfan wrote:
    archak wrote:

Defense, Midfield. Maybe 8 was to much, then it would be 8 u23 Indians and 3 foreigners. Then 3 foreigners and 5 u23 players. So 8 of the players on the field per team are u23 or foreign and the rest are any age you want.

this is possible but for me this should be it 5 u23, 2 foreigners
  • archak wrote:
    arsenalfan wrote:
    archak wrote:

this is possible but for me this should be it 5 u23, 2 foreigners

I can deal with this, 30 man roster, 15 of the players are under-23 (10 of which are under-21), Only allowed 3 foreigners.

The starting 11 must consist of only 2 foreigners, 5 u23 players and 3 whatever age Indian.

Also I think we should force Indian players over the age of 30 out of the league (with the exception of Renedy Singh and Baichung Bhutia and some others like Climax and Yadav. These players can pass on wisdom of being stars on the National Team at one point. The other over 30 players cant.
    @arsenalfan if such a rule is implied then we donot have to force the over 30 years of age players. they wont be able to cope up with the speed of the u23 players but this rule has to be implemented only for a short span of time of 5 years. after that this rule must be removed
  • archak wrote:
    @arsenalfan if such a rule is implied then we donot have to force the over 30 years of age players. they wont be able to cope up with the speed of the u23 players but this rule has to be implemented only for a short span of time of 5 years. after that this rule must be removed

Oh definitely. I know I always in a way preach about how we should be like Major League Soccer but if there is one thing I dont like about MLS is the fact that they dont change. For me MLS could have taken the baby wheels off years ago and allowed the teams to sign whoever they wanted without a salary cap because they were experienced enough but they kept it.

As for here, a rule like this should be kept but the over 30 removal rule should be kept for 3 years. You dont want guys like Chhetri to be automatically gone by 30. He is 28, of course he would be an exception to the rule but what about guys who are 26. They would be 31 and out of I-League for 2 years if it was 5. So 3 years a good limit (in my opinion).
  • If this rule is implemented then players will think twice before taking football as profession because your career will in trouble after you turn 23 :P
    munna219777