Foreigners in I-League

Comments

• shankarshankar 2600 Points
    If this rule is implemented then players will think twice before taking football as profession because your career will in trouble after you turn 23 :P
    it will be better to have a starting line up with 1/2 foreigner 3 u-23 and rest regular indian players
    this wont stop them from taking it as the profession i guess
  • Well like me and archak said this would only be for around 3 years. Once 3 years is over we can modify the rule some more.
  • Yeah I like the option of 1 foreigner and 3 U23 players in starting XI better. And why will clubs complain? It will be level playing field as all clubs will have to follow the same rule, actually this way they will save mone money as they will be paying less salaries to foreign players. This way they can also invest more money on 3 quality players rather than taking 2 good and 2 mediocre players.
  • Yeah I like the option of 1 foreigner and 3 U23 players in starting XI better. And why will clubs complain? It will be level playing field as all clubs will have to follow the same rule, actually this way they will save mone money as they will be paying less salaries to foreign players. This way they can also invest more money on 3 quality players rather than taking 2 good and 2 mediocre players.

When you put it like that I agree but in order to increase playing level I would say 2 foreigners on the pitch BUT if you have an Icon foreign player on the field you should then be only allowed that one foreigner on the pitch.
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    1. Make registration of foreigners in I-league stringent. The player must be from nation which is among top 100 countries and represented his country at any age group.

2. Not more than 2 foreigners at a time in field.

3. Same rule in local leagues.

4. No foreigners in Fed Cup.

5. Santosh Trophy a U21 tournament.
  • sabir wrote:
    1. Make registration of foreigners in I-league stringent. The player must be from nation which is among top 100 countries and represented his country at any age group.

2. Not more than 2 foreigners at a time in field.

3. Same rule in local leagues.

4. No foreigners in Fed Cup.

5. Santosh Trophy a U21 tournament.

Local leagues should not have any foreigners AT ALL. They are all reserve leagues.

Also Foreigners should be in the Fed Cup as the winner does get a trip to the AFC Cup.

Also just disband the Santosh Trophy. Even if you make it u21 you wont know if the player is u21 or not. Just make a new u19 league and have a college league where the best players are drafted by I-League clubs.
  • Expecting foreigners from top-100 countries is a bit too much, especially since the country asking for it has never managed to get into top-100. Even England has a rule of allowing players from countries till 120.
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    I agree the foreign attacking options are partially blamed for lack of attacking options. But the major underlying reason is mainly lack of professionalism from Indian players. If you look at the Indian NT and Indian players are totally unfit to play at that level. Professional layers take upon themselves to remain fit for highest level. Also, if a talented Indian striker is not getting playing option at big clubs, he can always turn himself to a lower clubs where he can prove himself better and play regularly. But actually Indian players are content to play as second fiddle and earn big bucks at bigger clubs. I was comparing the body structure of Indian mid age players (26 and above players), unfortunately except Sunil and Nabi(also I felt Nabi was on heavier side this cup compare to SAFF and Bayern match), most of them have a stouty body structure, compare to athletic body of any other top Asian players of same age. If you want to play professional football, you need to be professional enough to work out regularly and practice, even if you country's best player. But, on other hand, if Indian player reaches to a stardom, he consider himself for automatic selection and suddenly complacency creeps into him. Also, I don't completely agree with the fact that Indian are less talented then those foreigners playing in I-league(except odafa's), it is just they need to be professional enough to prove continuously that they are better than foreigner.

Also, people can understand the problem of lack of striking options (thanks to foreigners), but why is midfield so poor when compared to other top Asian nations? Also, why is defence and midfield is lacking pace?
  • Who thinks we should go after Phil Younghusband. He would add some more to I-League.
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    arsenalfan wrote:
    Who thinks we should go after Phil Younghusband. He would add some more to I-League.

And a little more to our NT misfortunes :x