India in LONDON OLYMPICS 2012

Comments

• shankarshankar 2600 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Sorry guys it is time to get realistic about indian hockey....</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">the teams like Australia(team for gold),netherlands and germany are way above our reach for the moment</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">And england,newzealand, S.Korea and spain are there to try for podium</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">So i can see at most a top 6 finish and even our coach thinks the same and that is what i call the positive thing to not try for sky and be realistic and positive about the chances</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">and for your info...in the present on going test event in london which indian team is participating, we lost practice match to australia by 12-1 then they beat us in group stage by 3-0 ...</font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">It is a request from a guy who had been following the hockey for last 5-6 years that...please dont dream for a podium in hockey...it is not possible this time</div>
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Well I have been following hockey for more than 9 years now. But that is not the point. We are just hoping that we might finish third. And this is based on the recent performances. The 12-1 defeat should not even linger in our mind. That was 1st time ever we played on a blue turf which is a bit difficult coz unlike the astro turf, these turfs are not completely flat, rather are a bit slanting. The ball movement is not smooth. So to b able to control the ball on that turf, we need practice. You can see the improvement in just 3 days. 12-1 became 3-0.<div><br></div><div>After we finish this tourney, we have another tournament in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup which for the 1st time will be played on blue synthetic turf with yellow ball.</div><div><br></div><div>Then we have India's 1st blue turf has been installed in Punjab Agri Univ where team India will hold camps. So we have plenty of time to acclimatize. These fact were not googled just now, its a proof that I follow Indian hockey closely :p</div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    wow guys...and I had no idea till a few days back, what is WSH!!!!<div><br></div><div><br></div>
    edited May 2012
    somesh wrote:
    Well I have been following hockey for more than 9 years now. But that is not the point. We are just hoping that we might finish third. And this is based on the recent performances. The 12-1 defeat should not even linger in our mind. That was 1st time ever we played on a blue turf which is a bit difficult coz unlike the astro turf, these turfs are not completely flat, rather are a bit slanting. The ball movement is not smooth. So to b able to control the ball on that turf, we need practice. You can see the improvement in just 3 days. 12-1 became 3-0.<div><br></div><div>After we finish this tourney, we have another tournament in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup which for the 1st time will be played on blue synthetic turf with yellow ball.</div><div><br></div><div>Then we have India's 1st blue turf has been installed in Punjab Agri Univ where team India will hold camps. So we have plenty of time to acclimatize. These fact were not googled just now, its a proof that I follow Indian hockey closely :p</div>
     <div>yea...... i get that you have quite good knowledge of indian football.... :)>-<br><div><br></div><div>I was talking about my following of world hockey....the current state of world hockey is pretty clear for me with my knowledge and i can bet you india reaching olympic semi finals is like current indian football team dreaming for a spot in WC qualifiers final stage....(which is possible but the probability is 1:10000)</div><div><br></div><div>And i guess @rudra know about WSH and he is just kidding ...if not it is a indian national hockey franchise league run by unsanctioned body of indian hockey IHF</div></div><br>
    I understand what you mean. I wont say we have in 1 in 10000 chance even mathematically. Realistically, it only takes 1-2 upsets to qualify for semis. The teams really above our soldiers are Australia, netherlands, Germany and Spain. GB although ranked quite high, we are capable of beating them. At the moment, our speed is comparable to the top 3 teams barring Australia. Skill wise too we are doing too well. And we have been scoring goals like crazy in the past 2 tournaments.<div><br></div><div>The only worry, and a serious one, is our defense especially on counters. Thats what cost us the Champions Challenge Trophy where we were leading 3-1 against Belgium and conceded 3 back to back on fast counters to loose it. I watched that match and there has been very few heartbreaks like that.</div>
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
    somesh wrote:
    I understand what you mean. I wont say we have in 1 in 10000 chance even mathematically. Realistically, it only takes 1-2 upsets to qualify for semis. The teams really above our soldiers are Australia, netherlands, Germany and Spain. GB although ranked quite high, we are capable of beating them. At the moment, our speed is comparable to the top 3 teams barring Australia. Skill wise too we are doing too well. And we have been scoring goals like crazy in the past 2 tournaments.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">The only worry, and a serious one, is our defense especially on counters. Thats what cost us the Champions Challenge Trophy where we were leading 3-1 against Belgium and conceded 3 back to back on fast counters to loose it. I watched that match and there has been very few heartbreaks like that.</div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">

</font><br><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">please dont make me remember that match, i still feels frustrated about our poor defense and complacency in that match.... we conceded at worst possible time just 13 seconds before the whistle</font></div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    shankar wrote:
    <br><div><div><br></div><div>And i guess @rudra know about WSH and he is just kidding ...if not it is a indian national hockey franchise league run by unsanctioned body of indian hockey IHF</div></div><br>

<br><div><br></div><div>Nope.. I had no idea!!!! I knew some hockey 'thing' is going around but didnt knew it was that big.. about hockey, I only know Dhanraj Pillai (saw him play in TV) and now the guy called Sandeep. And know there was a great guy called Dhyanchand and we won world cup once (in 70s)</div>
    We have 8 Olympic Golds in Hockey! 3 guys in Indian hockey Major Dhyanchand, Leslie Claudius (still alive but unwell) and Roop Singh (Dhyan Chand's brother) got London Underground stations named after them. All three were legends. People say Roop Singh was even better than his brother but he played mainly as support. India defeated USA once by 33-1 or something like that. Legend has it that the one goal for USA was scored by Dhyan Chand who was requested to change side for a few minutes!
    somesh wrote:
    We have 8 Olympic Golds in Hockey! 3 guys in Indian hockey Major Dhyanchand, Leslie Claudius (still alive but unwell) and Roop Singh (Dhyan Chand's brother) got London Underground stations named after them. All three were legends. People say Roop Singh was even better than his brother but he played mainly as support. India defeated USA once by 33-1 or something like that. Legend has it that the one goal for USA was scored by Dhyan Chand who was requested to change side for a few minutes!

<br><div><br></div><div>Yea that were glory days of indian hockey and the result was 24-1 in a olympic gold medal match</div>
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    somesh wrote:

<br><div><br></div><div>Ha Ha Ha, So actually the score actually was 34-0. </div>