Daily dose of east bengal

Comments

• projenatorprojenator 26 Points
    edited July 2012
    scores a brace against Kolkata amateur team CC & FC in East Bengal's first practice game of the season. East Bengal won 7-0, apart from Branco, Charan, Penn and Arnab Mondal hit the target.<br>
  • projenator wrote: »
    scores a brace against Kolkata amateur team CC & FC in East Bengal's first practice game of the season. East Bengal won 7-0, apart from Branco, Charan, Penn and Arnab Mondal hit the target.<br>

<br><div><br></div><div>Excellent start for Branco Cardozo. He now has a chance to prove himself as Tolgay is not there. Excellent way for East Bengal to begin as well.</div><div><br></div><div>I am guessing this club was Calcutta Cricket and Football Club. If so, are they also non-amateur having participated in Durand and Federation Cup before I believe. </div>
    projenator wrote: »

<br><div><br></div><div>Excellent start for Branco Cardozo. He now has a chance to prove himself as Tolgay is not there. Excellent way for East Bengal to begin as well.</div><div><br></div><div>I am guessing this club was Calcutta Cricket and Football Club. If so, are they also non-amateur having participated in Durand and Federation Cup before I believe. </div>

<br><br>Yep, you are correct. Those were very early days of Indian football, not sure if you can call the Indian football setup those days professional. In fact, the current Mohun Bagan ground was CC & FC's ground, even today if you go to MB ground there's a gate on the side which has CC & FC written on it.  Only the basic needs of the players were taken care of and most players held full time positions elsewhere, a practice, although on the decline but still in vogue in Calcutta, for e.g. Mehtab and Nabi works for Metro Railways, a few work for Coal India. <br><br>TJM is a regular at this club as he is of many other clubs in the city and often takes the boys out to the club pool or a warm up game just like he did against CC & FC<br>
  • Wait... currently Mehtab and Nabi have second jobs??? I thought they were full time now.<div><br></div><div>Sounds good of TJM. Good that he at least has that power. </div>
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    Is the final squad of EB out???other than that asian player??
    shankar wrote: »
    Is the final squad of EB out???other than that asian player??

<br><div><br></div><div>Off course, they are already practicing since July 11th and yesterday started their pre season camp at Kalyani, a suburban town north of Calcutta with world class pitch and training facilities (Trevor Morgan, Scott O' Donnell and Colin Toal has repeatedly mentioned in public that the training facilities at Kalyani are no less than world class ). Yesterday Dika joined the camp and Manandeep is expected shortly</div>
    edited July 2012
    <a href=" is all praise about the pitch at Kalyani, he says it's spongy, the ball moves around well. 
  • RUMOUR HAS IT
    fourth foreigner for KEB is most prolly Kayne Vincent as per Morgan's suggestion. Also there are stories doing the rounds that someone from Middle East is going to show up. 

• > projenator said:
    > RUMOUR HAS IT
    fourth foreigner for KEB is most prolly Kayne Vincent as per Morgan's suggestion. Also there are stories doing the rounds that someone from Middle East is going to show up. 

Kanye Vincent and a Middle East guy... dont tell me EB are doing the old "we will use him for I-League and we will use this foreigner for Asian Cup matches".
    edited August 2012

It's one or either, definitely not both.  In Calcutta, club administration is an extremely challenging job given the volatile nature of the fanbase.  Kayne Vincent hasn't made much of a mark with the Calcutta crowd the few seasons he has played in India.  KEB fans can't accept him as replacement for Tolgay, so maybe this middle east guy story is a stunt to keep the fans guessing. I honestly don't know, there's a lot of ifs and buts, difficult to explain in a post. Morgan wants Vincent because he hates the uncertainty around the fourth foreigner, he'd rather have the fourth foreigner ASAP so that he can build up his combination with the rest of the team. Morgan would rather work on building up a combination with whatever is available than wait for some exceptionally skilled player to show up and all the uncertainty around it.

Not sure if I am reading too much into it, Morgan would rather get all the credit than have some striker hog the limelight.  If he takes Vincent and strikes up a good enough combination that east bengal has an excellent season, then it looks better on his resume.  Last couple seasons, Tolgay, Opara, Penn, Mehtab got all the credit, Morgan wasn't given much credit for whatever success the team had over the last couple seasons.