NEHRU CUP 2012

Comments

• I am just wondering why is the Nehru Cup in February. Why don't India just take advantage of the FIFA International Match Date of February 29th.

Right now for me the Nehru Cup is a cup we should play either the India Under-23 or the India Under-19 squad in. I mean what do we get from Nehru Cup anyway. If there is something we get like Super FIFA Ranking points or AFC Asian Cup qualification I could not give that much interest into the Cup. Of course I would have some interest in it and I would follow and support India in it but I just don't feel this is something for our Senior Team.
  • RonnyRonny 10450 Points
    I am just wondering why is the Nehru Cup in February. Why don't India just take advantage of the FIFA International Match Date of February 29th.

Right now for me the Nehru Cup is a cup we should play either the India Under-23 or the India Under-19 squad in. I mean what do we get from Nehru Cup anyway. If there is something we get like Super FIFA Ranking points or AFC Asian Cup qualification I could not give that much interest into the Cup. Of course I would have some interest in it and I would follow and support India in it but I just don't feel this is something for our Senior Team.
    I dont quite agree with you..India U-23 would get thrashed at Nehru cup if they were to play such big teams..rather U-23 should take part in SAFF cup and the senior team should play with a good mix of youngsters and seniors in Nehru cup..However if this time nehru cup is taking place then am not sure how much good it will be for the squad coz players might get exhausted before the AFC challenge cup
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    If SAFF Cup is made U23 and Nehru Cup too, Olympic Qualifiers already U23, Should we send our senior team to training school?
  • I am just wondering why is the Nehru Cup in February. Why don't India just take advantage of the FIFA International Match Date of February 29th.

I dont quite agree with you..India U-23 would get thrashed at Nehru cup if they were to play such big teams..rather U-23 should take part in SAFF cup and the senior team should play with a good mix of youngsters and seniors in Nehru cup..However if this time nehru cup is taking place then am not sure how much good it will be for the squad coz players might get exhausted before the AFC challenge cup

That is one of the reasons I think this is u23. The Nehru Cup is a 5 match or more tournament. The senior team would be tired after this tournament going into the MUCH MORE IMPORTANT AFC Challenge Cup.

Also I think a mixture is not good as well because that would mean after the Nehru Cup we would have to release some of those youngsters and promote some more senior players which would then run the chemistry in the team right before the again IMPORTANT AFC Challenge Cup.

Right now the India senior team is participating in 7 tournaments every 4 years. When really it should be 4 (World Cup (or qualifiers), AFC Asian Cup (or qualifiers), AFC Challenge Cup) If we don't cut back on tournaments then the senior players will be tired and probably barely play in I-League.
  • If SAFF Cup is made U23 and Nehru Cup too, Olympic Qualifiers already U23, Should we send our senior team to training school?
    If SAFF Cup is made U23 and Nehru Cup too, Olympic Qualifiers already U23, Should we send our senior team to training school?

ALL RIGHT I CAN TELL WHAT THE **** YOU ARE SAYING!

YOU: "OH THE U23 IS ALREADY IN THE EVERY 4 YEARS OLYMPIC QUALIFIERS. ADDING THE NEHRU CUP AND SAFF CUP WOULD BE TO MUCH! OH AND WHEN WOULD INDIA SENIORS PLAY?

WELL LET ME TELL YOU INDIA WOULD PLAY IN THE AFC CHALLENGE CUP QUALIFIERS (3 GAMES). THEN YOU GOT THE ACTUAL CHALLENGE CUP WHERE YOU PLAY 5 GAMES IN (3+2). THEN YOU GET FIFA QUALIFIERS WHICH IS 2 GAMES + MORE IF YOU CAN. THEN YOU GOT ASIAN CUP QUALIFIERS (6 GAMES), AND THEN THE ASIAN CUP (3 GAMES + MORE) + YOU GOT ALLTHE FRIENDLY MATCHES WHICH CAN BE LIKE 10 GAMES PER YEAR (30 GAMES EVERY 4 YEARS) THAT IS A TOTAL OF 49 GAMES EVERY 4 YEARS!

THAT IS ALL THE SENIOR TEAM SHOULD BE PLAYING! NO MORE!
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

YOU: "OH THE U23 IS ALREADY IN THE EVERY 4 YEARS OLYMPIC QUALIFIERS. ADDING THE NEHRU CUP AND SAFF CUP WOULD BE TO MUCH! OH AND WHEN WOULD INDIA SENIORS PLAY?

WELL LET ME TELL YOU INDIA WOULD PLAY IN THE AFC CHALLENGE CUP QUALIFIERS (3 GAMES). THEN YOU GOT THE ACTUAL CHALLENGE CUP WHERE YOU PLAY 5 GAMES IN (3+2). THEN YOU GET FIFA QUALIFIERS WHICH IS 2 GAMES + MORE IF YOU CAN. THEN YOU GOT ASIAN CUP QUALIFIERS (6 GAMES), AND THEN THE ASIAN CUP (3 GAMES + MORE) + YOU GOT ALLTHE FRIENDLY MATCHES WHICH CAN BE LIKE 10 GAMES PER YEAR (30 GAMES EVERY 4 YEARS) THAT IS A TOTAL OF 49 GAMES EVERY 4 YEARS!

but when nehru cup is having some quality opponents like iran, uzbekistan then we can easily keep this tournament in place of 3-5 friendlies....
  • If SAFF Cup is made U23 and Nehru Cup too, Olympic Qualifiers already U23, Should we send our senior team to training school?

but when nehru cup is having some quality opponents like iran, uzbekistan then we can easily keep this tournament in place of 3-5 friendlies....

your missing the point. Sure having this tournament with big teams would be good but that would be to exhausting for the senior team right before another tournament which actually counts. I would rather 2 friendlies against two teams between 120-150 in FIFA than 5 games in the Nehru Cup.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    ya the timing of tournament is just not correct as it will be too much to ask for from players....and ya the tournament should be organised somewhere in aug/sept
    and i just confirmed from one afghan player that afghanistan is confirmed for nehru cup..
  • ya the timing of tournament is just not correct as it will be too much to ask for from players....and ya the tournament should be organised somewhere in aug/sept
    and i just confirmed from one afghan player that afghanistan is confirmed for nehru cup..

Ya I would be a little fine if this was a summer tournament as we could then experiment a little better with the squad.
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    Bring in new faces create a big pool of players and then prepare a strong team for next 1-2 years with good back-up,this should be target from here on.