NEHRU CUP 2012

Comments

• footbafootba 0 Points
    I agree, as long as they send there senior team and even if its an u20s, I dont mind.
  • EnotEnot 129 Points
    African teams u20 or u23 may be "teams of agents" rather than real teams. Who knows what players in Sierra Leone should play in the team u20? Many of these cases. the funniest was in Uzbekistan, came to "Nigeria's Olympic team" in the hinterland, a small town, province. And played there with a local team, the holiday was to the entire region, farmers from distant villages came to see the African stars ...
    . The local team won 5-0. :-))
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    I know! A major scandal happened when the 'supposedly' Togo football team played international friendly against Bahrain. Later it was found out that the Togolese FA did not even know about the match and the players were not part of the actual team!!
  • Shah476Shah476 240 Points
    edited March 2012
    footba wrote:
    The nations i feel will be for the Nehru Cup:
    India (obviously)
    Afghanistan ( I assume are replacing Kyrgystan from the previous 2 editions they entered)
    Syria (always strong and have participated in the last 2 editions)
    Eatern Euope ( I think from the history of the Cup, a Romania, or Hungary will come
    2 from Africa - Serrie Leone u20s participated and looking at the recent friendlies, India played against Zambia) so i think Zambia will be invited
    Uzkekistan and Iran i doubt will enter this tournament,

Potentially
    India
    Afghanistan
    Syria
    Zambia
    Pakistan (put them in because of the rivalry but i dont they will be invited)
    Hungary

I think it would be great involving Pakistan...surely better than kyrgyz or myanmar or cambodia...for tournament like this falling almost on fifa dates i think pkn could bring a good side...more foreigners than the afghan team and then you will see the difference from the lackluster performance in the saff cup we had.

But i dont see the organisers inviting us to be honest!:(
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3407 Points
    edited March 2012
    Shah476 wrote:
    footba wrote:
    The nations i feel will be for the Nehru Cup:
    India (obviously)
    Afghanistan ( I assume are replacing Kyrgystan from the previous 2 editions they entered)
    Syria (always strong and have participated in the last 2 editions)
    Eatern Euope ( I think from the history of the Cup, a Romania, or Hungary will come
    2 from Africa - Serrie Leone u20s participated and looking at the recent friendlies, India played against Zambia) so i think Zambia will be invited
    Uzkekistan and Iran i doubt will enter this tournament,

Potentially
    India
    Afghanistan
    Syria
    Zambia
    Pakistan (put them in because of the rivalry but i dont they will be invited)
    Hungary

I think it would be great involving Pakistan...surely better than kyrgyz or myanmar or cambodia...for tournament like this falling almost on fifa dates i think pkn could bring a good side...more foreigners than the afghan team and then you will see the difference from the lackluster performance in the saff cup we had.

But i dont see the organisers inviting us to be honest!:(

gud to see a person from pakistan in this forum..& that website is also gud but technically india is way ahead of pak team ,
    can u also tell us about the real football structure in pakistan? we would like to hear from a person residing there who can share the real stuffs, what the world doesn't know here..WELCOME TO IFNF..
    well im not living in pkn actually but live in uk and work to promote and develop the football back in pakistan and over here amongst the asian community..often get british indian players wanting play for india and all that but the nationality rules kinda end it there.

in pakistan u r right football is way behind but in terms of national team i think its always pretty competitive head to head even though india has won far more games against pakistan and are very well establish team with very good youth set up.

i think we need lot more cooperation as saff countries, we lack that harmony which some asean and arab countries have despite having a strong rivalry they still play against each other a lot which we dont see. tournaments like nehru cup ofcourse has to make sense financially and standard wise but surely there can be positives of having maybe pakistan than lets say kyrgyz or some1, srilanka played in 2007 edition if i recall correctly..

for nehru cup id say invite philippines, financially it will be very good as u can sell rights there, they have gone nuts over football in the last 14months...philippines would be better than some 3rd tier african team as they have majority squad playing in europe and will be good challenge..
  • trojantrojan 371 Points
    edited March 2012
    Shah476 wrote:
    well im not living in pkn actually but live in uk and work to promote and develop the football back in pakistan and over here amongst the asian community..often get british indian players wanting play for india and all that but the nationality rules kinda end it there.

in pakistan u r right football is way behind but in terms of national team i think its always pretty competitive head to head even though india has won far more games against pakistan and are very well establish team with very good youth set up.

i think we need lot more cooperation as saff countries, we lack that harmony which some asean and arab countries have despite having a strong rivalry they still play against each other a lot which we dont see. tournaments like nehru cup ofcourse has to make sense financially and standard wise but surely there can be positives of having maybe pakistan than lets say kyrgyz or some1, srilanka played in 2007 edition if i recall correctly..

for nehru cup id say invite philippines, financially it will be very good as u can sell rights there, they have gone nuts over football in the last 14months...philippines would be better than some 3rd tier african team as they have majority squad playing in europe and will be good challenge..

if they invited both afg and pak then nehru cup will become another regional tournament like saff cup :D
    i agree india and pak should play football matches, there can be bilateral series either in ind or in pak. that uk tournament was much anticipated by fans on either side, too bad it got cancelled. such friendlies will help promote football in both countries as any india-pak match (be it cricket,hockey,football) is seen with much interest by people. and its never a one sided affair ;) u can always expect a high intensity indo pak clash be it any sport

i think the organizers are inviting afghanistan because they are a much improved side and gave a good account of themselves in the saff cup. they will surely increase the competition level. sri lanka was invited at the last moment when some team(???) backed out.

i agree with you on inviting philippines.i think organizers wanted to invite as many teams higher ranked than India as possible. but their rankings does not reflect their level. they have got few players in the europian leagues and India must watch out for them in the afc cup.
  • footbafootba 0 Points

I have to disagree, the Pakistan team have a handful of players playing overseas and only a few get recalled, while the Afghans have a heap of players playing overseas, and are currently forming a database of players on there site <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.footballafghanistan.com"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.footballafghanistan.com</a><!-- w -->
    the site mentions some of the foreign players, however there are fair few more.
    only in the recent tournament called up 8 foreigners.

I agree that if Pakistan are invited and Afghanistan are already, then that gives us 3 Saff nations, but having said that, if a Sri Lanka, Cambodia is invited then i would rather a Pakistan team. With a new coach, and the emormous rivalry with Inida, it will create alot of hype and excitement.
    edited March 2012
    footba wrote:

I have to disagree, the Pakistan team have a handful of players playing overseas and only a few get recalled, while the Afghans have a heap of players playing overseas, and are currently forming a database of players on there site http://www.footballafghanistan.com
    the site mentions some of the foreign players, however there are fair few more.
    only in the recent tournament called up 8 foreigners.

I agree that if Pakistan are invited and Afghanistan are already, then that gives us 3 Saff nations, but having said that, if a Sri Lanka, Cambodia is invited then i would rather a Pakistan team. With a new coach, and the emormous rivalry with Inida, it will create alot of hype and excitement.

I must say that i scout and recruit these overseas players for Pakistan and we actually have much more than afghanistan...they come from places like germany and scandnavia where they are refugees and hold afghanistani passport where as our guys hold their germans or danish or norway passports with tight rules. so we are in process of tackling that slowly but surely. we too have the database but its not available on our website and some of our players play at higher standard than their..what we have had with pakistan is too many local coaches who are bound to politics and nepotism which has limited the overseas players...even for saff cup the squad had already been picked when the foreign coach came in he had to go with what was available and then training camp in thailand called off due to floods, couple of lads called up late were refused indian visa too.

i actually would like to play afghanistan this year just to see how we get on but it is gonna be challenge getting a game with them i think. i think pakistan bring a better squad to nehru cup than afghanistan will..

as for india i know they want to play higher ranked teams etc but sometime rankings isnt all that as we have seen how nepal and bangladesh were highest ranked teams were in south asia and how they got on at saff cup.

not trying to lecture u guys about pkni footballl...:)
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    actually aiff is trying to arrange some good opponents so that india can be in top 100 in next 4 years that is the reason why the chances more than one team ranked below 160 is very less...
    if i am not wrong except afghanistan rest i predict to be higher ranked(i mean at least 20-25 ranking higher) teams who are gonna be part of the tournament.