Coach for Indian Football Team

Comments

• Shah476 wrote:

There good options available well under $200k a year which is not a lot of money for the aiff...

can u give few of those names?
  • Shah476Shah476 240 Points
    well hard to just point out of the blue but some i have come across..like Stephen Constantine...this Brazilian guy who had managed Brazil Youth, Marcio Maximo Barcellos, some other guys who have coached in South East Asia like Peter Withe, Alfred Riedl, or big name like Falko Gotz who just got sacked by Vietnam, prob cost bit more than 200k i guess.has managed Hertha Berlin in Bundesliga...

could always try some1 whos delivered elsewhere, Bobby Williamson done great job with Uganda and Mart Nooij who took Mozambique to cup of nations in 2010..

or some ex academy coach or reserve coach maybe from the premier league?
  • anandanand 0 Points
    AIFF paid 400,000$ per year for bob houghton.So I would say AIFF can spend 400,000$ per year with no problem.
    We can get good top class european coach for that money.Bob was over rated to get paid 400,000$ per year.He dont worth that much.
  • anand wrote:
    AIFF paid 400,000$ per year for bob houghton.So I would say AIFF can spend 400,000$ per year with no problem.
    We can get good top class european coach for that money.Bob was over rated to get paid 400,000$ per year.He dont worth that much.

I believe most of that sum was used on Robert Baan and right now with the crisis going on at club level with the I-League owners revolting and all that, I doubt AIFF want to spend that much again. They are not financially that good.
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    Rob Baan himself is in favour of Indian coach. He believes every new foreign coach tries to mould our style as per his liking but we need to develop our own style. If an Indian coach is not agreed by all, next choice is a foreign coach with enough knowledge of Indian football. The compass is pointing towards Karim. Bit off topic, I wonder what happened to Md Habib. After gifting so many good batches from TFA he left TFA. After some unsuccessful stints in clubs (especially MD Sporting) he is vanished from the scenario. Anyone has news about him?
  • Sabir,
    He was in Calcutta recently, I mean a few months back. He is spending more time with his folks in Hyderabad these days. While I like that you acknowledge his contribution towards youth development which is a very correct perspective, I have to say given his natural skill and the gifted player he was, he is not the best fit to manage mediocre and very average SAFF level or below SAFF level players like Sunil Chetri, Nirmal Chetri, Anwar Ali, you name it. That's one of the biggest issues with having some of these ex-players as coaches for the current crop of players. Tricks which a Habib or a Nayeem or a Subrata or a Ulganathan or a Balaram or a Bidesh Bose (I remember in a Nehru cup game, the Russians were zapped at the speed with which Bidesh Bose would operate on the flanks, talk of running in football north eastern style) would do with ease and elan is too much to expect from very very mediocre fluff and dandruff who make it to the national team these days. Forget them, sometimes my eyes pop out when I see the Sunils and the Anwars doing stuff on the field unimaginable even as recently as the eighties.
    I only see hope if we can get coaches who can develop good combination play Korean style which requires comparatively less personal skill and more teamwork. That's the best fit style if you have too many players of North Eastern origin in the team, although passing accuracy still remains a major concern. While these north eastern guys can run endlessly and harass you to snatch the ball away from you (a recent discussion on a Calcutta forum led to coining the term "DIKBIDIKSUNYO DOUR"), they are very poor passers and have zero imagination or creativity. Karim Bencharifa is the best bet for a foreign coach. In case he is not available, maybe Trevor James Morgan might be tried out. As for an Indian coach, I'd go for Armando but I really didn't like his antics in the short stint he had although I strongly feel his style of passing game is the best fit given the mediocrity haunting the national team at present.
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    No, No I was not talking about Habib to be Indian coach. Just enquiring what he is doing nowadays. So many academies are popping up nowadays. His contribution will be great if utilised.
  • I'm more and more convinced that we need a hatke coach who thinks differently. We've tried Indian coaches and foreign coaches with varying degrees of success. I don't care who we get this time, but it has to be someone that can a) create a strategy based on the resources available, b) spend the time and effort to unearth talent in India to fit his plan, and c) have a long enough contract term that he can afford some losses as long as the team is moving in the right direction.

Watch the movie or read the book Moneyball. It shows how a team with a $30mm budget almost won the world series against a team with a $100mm budget. As Brad Pitt's character says in the movie, "there are rich teams, there are poor teams, then there's a 1000 feet of empty space, then there's us". We need that attitude if we are to compete. We don't have the resources that Qatar, Japan, UAE and the others have. We can't win if we play their game. We need a totally different strategy. I can't think of one, and i suspect neither can the AIFF. I just hope there's someone out there who can and has the credentials to apply for the job.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Moneball is an awesome movie. However the kind of coach you are looking for probably exists in movies only, although that kind of coach might be perfect one for us