International Friendly Match : India v/s Bangladesh : 5th March

Comments

• PondicherryPondicherry 341 Points
    So we tied at home against a SAFF country and some people here were complaining playing againt them and wanted to play Kuwait, UAE etc. Their B team would have murdered us. Anyways, only a few days before the friendly is not a good excuse for the tie. Lets be honest, many players who played today don't deserve to be in the national team.

The mid field is a joke, defenders are robots and Robin is a clown. Had it not been for Sunil and Paul we would have been heart broken.

Wim is either stupid or clueless. He doesn't seem to have a mission nor vision. We need young blood in this team, there are better players out there and who were sitting in the bench in todays match. All I can say is Wim doing his rounds watching ileague to select players is wasting time, there are not enough Indian talent in the ileague. He should look beyond ileague, like under 22 players. I wish something happens at a good cause ASAP, else we will be around the 160 ranked team for a long time.
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    So, just to put this out there for those who are blaming Wim for his lack of vision, what the hell do you all expect? When these players, all 20 of them, play week in and week out in the same old crappy set-ups in the I-League, you are bound to see this result.

This is why I rather we get foreign coaches in, smart ones, rather than the same asshats who while may do well in Indian football dont do anything to improve it. What good is it to play with a club team that still does the route one style and then play for 3 days with a team that stresses ground football? It won't get you results! And Wim is a smart man, he came to India with a good resume so he knows what he is doing but what good is it when the players play with shit coaches.

Until the overall style and quality of the I-League changes we will not see a positive change in the style and change in the national team... specially since 19 or 20 of the players in the squad play in the I-League.
    Indian team played way better under Bob's long ball,even now under wim no change for long ball  but the performance of National team fall down.India could easily beat SAFF teams and much higher teams likes Syria ,Tajikistan etc by biggest margin,but sadly now we can't even beat saff nations.No indian player cant hold ball for long times,when they get the ball they just stop and look who is in forward line and kick the ball aimlessly.Why they dont try to dribble past opponent players?i think it is bcs of the lack of Confidence,they should get training on "How to Improve confidence ".Every worst team In the world play better attacking game when they face team India.They are making use of India's poor confidence on the ball.I think we should back to long camp for Nt matches just like what we have had under Bob.Players are having different style of play bcs they r from different teams so they can't afford the tactics of Wim within 1 or 2 days.Look at last SAFF Cup,only in the final we played excellent game even though we lost.i think it was the result of practice for such long time under wim since the SAFF Cup starting
    Again, that is because everyone on Bob's team is used to long-ball and it worked when playing against smaller nations. Once we got to the Asian Cup we were murdered.
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Bob team was a bit more experienced. Stephan Constantine built that team and Bob persisted with them. Wim is dealing with many newcomers. Also in Bob's days, AIFF agreed to his demands of long camps in Portugal, Spain and lot of practise games against local clubs. Clubs were not happy in Bob times. Bob also ignored FIFA match days. Wim is doing fine
     1) Clubs are happy that there players are not snatched for long period and then coming back injured.
    2) Good performers in I-League are getting chance.
    3) Different venues for National Team so Football interest is spread across country. Not just Nehru cup in Delhi and 1 odd WC Qualifier.

Worries for Wim
    1) Result  I lost the count of friendlies we lost. Palestine, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Myanmar.
    2) How easily we were criticising bob's style of play? is there something wrong in tactics or team selection of Wim?
  • dhungel35dhungel35 444 Points
    Good performers in I-League are getting chance.    LOL.....if just being on the bench..is called getting a chance...then yes Wim has done a good job.

Don't u think Preetam Kotal deserve a call up...alteast he looks confident on the ball....Bengaichoo even with stellar performances didn't even make it to the list of standby's....Victorinio has he got a fair chance... 
  • RonnyRonny 10457 Points
    Preetam Kotal's ommission was a shocker
  • gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points
    Rino Anto is a better attacking right back than Denzil Franco.
    Robin Singh did exactly what he has done all season at BFC and fot most of his club career. ..flatter to deceive...
    One day the coin might drop and he'll start to fulfill the ability he has..
    No point wasting time with player's who won't be3 there in future. ..time to say goodbye to the likes of Clifford...Rocus...Francis..etc..
    Better to draw or lose with a developmental team..than scrape out results with player's who are past their best
  • shibiershibier 2996 Points
    Totally agree with Gaffertape's this statement " No point wasting time with player's who won't be3 there in future. ..time to say goodbye to the likes of Clifford...Rocus...Francis..etc..Better to draw or lose with a developmental team..than scrape out results with player's who are past their best"

Playing with experienced players are not giving desired results, So why not trying the future prospects  , What is stopping him from doing that ?? Fear of failure ... ?? thats what happening now 
    edited March 2014
    Robin Singh is never going to "fulfill the ability". Forgive me for this but he is not a main-striker at all and I feel coaches know this but he does not. You could tell from his body language during games that he wants to be the goalscorer but he needs to see that he can not.

If I had to relate Robin Singh to any top-player I would say Dennis Bergkamp. Dennis Bergkamp is not a goalscorer. While at Arsenal he only managed 16 goals his best season with Arsenal, only reaching double digets his first four seasons. After that he averaged like 4-8 goals a season. Why? Because at Inter Milan and somewhat at Ajax Bergkamp was used as a lone-striker but that is not him and it showed at Inter Milan where he failed to impress. At Arsenal it was realized that he is not a lone-striker but instead a second striker. Arsenal played a formation in the 90s and early 2000s that saw Bergkamp as the 2nd striker with Ian Wright and later Thierry Henry ahead of him and the results showed. Bergkamp helped Arsenal with goals and assists and his skill and speed helped him eventually become a legend at Arsenal.

That is what Robin Singh is to me. Singh can't score to save his life, his record can tell you that. He needs to feed the main striker. He needs to help create the attack. Let Sunil Chhetri have the freedom as the lead striker and have Robin Singh behind him. Have wingers like Victorino Fernandes play ahead of him as well and have Singh behind them to provide them balls, create space, and perhaps easier chances for Singh to take.

Of course though, this is something Robin Singh will need to accept. He is no goalscoring threat and he will never be but he can be a second/supporting striker and actually be a very good one and this is coming from a guy who has always been critical of Robin.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Those who are now harping about Bob Houghton are acting like losers. They are forgetting why it was needed to get rid of Bob Houghton in the first place. His results came in earlier years when he had a set team who were relatively young.

As pointed out by munna, Bob also got all the facilities he wanted, including long training camps abroad. His biggest fault was sticking to the same set of players, no matter what. He did not induct a single worthy player and always went on with Mangi, Manju, Abhishek Yadav, Manjit Singh, Mahesh Gawli, Surkumar, Pradeep etc. He never needed to name his squad as everyone knew who it would be.

That guy single handedly wasted talents like Lalkamal who never got a chance in their prime in spite of superior performance.

If you are blaming Win for not being a development focussed coach, Bob is a criminal of higher degree. He was totally result oriented. That is why he used direct football and never dared take new players.

The strategy failed as the team got older. So in his 5th year when those folks got old, they started being thrashed by everyone. Who would have imagined we would concede 9 goals to a second grade (in those days) West Asian team like Kuwait?

So please give your frustration a rest.
This discussion has been closed.