I-League Vs ISL

Comments

• gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points
    For those of you that think ISL generates money for the Clubs look closer at the books...

The only ones making any money out of ISL are the IMG-R and Star Sports stake holders..

Franchise owners are losing money. ..a few player's are making money but overall less Indian footballers are making a living off the the game.
    ISL clubs are struggling to get sponsors too, at least not the projections predicted last year.

reddevil87munna219777
  • indianFootballFanindianFootballFan India4496 Points
    So, I League clubs should have Youth Teams and academies, fulfill all the AFC Liscencing criteria and develop infrastructure but ISL franchises get all the attention and marketing. Hail ISL!
  • ManjuManju Mysore34 Points
    I League is recognised league of AIFF, by AFC and FIFA. ISL is just accredited league! One keeps the AIFF recognised, other keeps AIFF fulfilled...moreover selected Players in ISL gets a chance to learn and experience from the foreign players that which faithful accept...ISL's shamble and corrupt economy and schedule is another matter to discus...I do see in overall good for the game in INDIA atleast in coming years.  
  • ManjuManju Mysore34 Points
    I League is recognised league of AIFF, by AFC and FIFA. ISL is just accredited league! One keeps the AIFF recognised, other keeps AIFF fulfilled...moreover selected Players in ISL gets a chance to learn and experience from the foreign players that which faithful accept...ISL's shamble and corrupt economy and schedule is another matter to discus...I do see in overall good for the game in INDIA atleast in coming years.  
  • nikhilnikhil blru548 Points
    If anyone expect ISL franchises to make profits in the first year itself you gotta be high on meth. When I -league can't make profit despite being for being around almost 7 yrs how does one expect ISL to do so?

Well i would give a time frame of 5 yrs within which the return on investment of clubs like atk,Kbfc& FcGoa should be within break even point , if not so that's when one could genuinely question the feasibility of ISL.
    atuljg
  • gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points
    edited July 2015
    @nikhil
    Agree with 1st point of yours
    BUT
    if after 5 years of losses in excess of 20-40Crores each year ,  you expect breakeven in year 5...

Does that include making up the losses of 100-200 Crores from the 1st 5 years !?
    :)>-

if so , thats a great business model.....sign me up
    ;))
    Deb_Bannikhilmunna219777
  • nikhilnikhil blru548 Points
    @gaffertape

Well i was anticipating some sort of revenue like ads sales return,sponsors,gates sales, etc.. does the club get any cut? More importantly does it even exist?
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    MLS has been around 20 years and not all the clubs from the 90s are profitable yet.
    nikhil
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    football isnt cricket. please if we are talking about profits then we r insane. even the BP: clubs after mega deal with sky floated at around 6 BN+ are still not in huge profits. in fact only 12-15 clubs actually make a profit
    u look at championship. even skint clubs like derby lose 7 mill every year and they still get called skint (cheap) so lets face it you will make profits only to star (sky example) and img-rel mainly on the sponsership and tv revenues.

only and only if the ISL clubs are bought by major players and business men then if sponsership is being shared amongst the clubs then we can see near breakevens + slight profits.
    so only if the tickets + merchandise+ player sales/loans to overseas and or i-league clubs will ensure decent revenue for a ISL club.

right now thats still a long way off. focus is to make ISL clubs a valuable asset so u get buyers.

so lets not panic yet. no one can turnaround football finances overnight.
    nikhilatuljgmohammed_87hassan
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    For the most part, you are right. A lot of owners, at least based on what I read about, just buy the team, make them more valuable and then sell them for more than they bought them.

In the NBA, my Brooklyn Nets were sold by Bruce Ratner a long time ago for almost 150% more than what he bought the team for!
    munna219777