I-League Vs ISL

Comments

• CybertronCybertron 402 Points
    At least ISL has been able to show the pathetic condition of football in India. Now people and the media are talking more about football development and Youth development. Even PM Modi thinks India should make ties with BRICS members to improve football in India.
  • MaddieMaddie ಮೈಸೂರು(Mysuru) / Canada2978 Points
    Talent pool will be reduced. Via TOI or I-league trolls

Where will the 72 unsold players go?On Friday, the ten domestic players who missed out on the inaugural edition went in the auction list, while 72 of the 122 available in the players draft were left unsold after the 40 available slots were taken up.Each franchise can now grab three additional playersas part of their "plus three quota" but with as many as six foreign players allowed on the field, franchisees are unlikely to register more than the minimum requirement of 13 domestic players. Sixty four domestic players were earlier signed by franchisees through retention or in the free market.This creates a much-expected problem: those who have now been left out is that they may have nowhere to go. I-League clubs, who the players will naturally seek employment with for the rest of the season, are not in any hiring mood till January when the I-League starts, and even if the players find favour, it will at a considerably less price. "The safestthing to do was to sign up with an existing I-League club and then go on loan to the ISL," said a senior club official. "We will have to look out for alternatives," said Rhys Mascarenhas, official of the player representation company that has 47 players in the ISL.The players, though, were blinded by the glitz and glamour and signed on the dotted line at the first given opportunity. Free agents who did not find favour with any of the eight franchisees will see their existing contracts with IMG-Reliance, organizers of the ISL, being annulled. Loaned players will return to their parent club, who may opt to renegotiate since there is no major football tournament till January next year
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    I do feel for these players but then again, I don't. I mean, it sucks, but this is not the end of the world. They have options. State leagues like the Kolkata Football League or Goa Pro League will kick-off soon and while the pay is not amazing, I am sorry, it is the best you are going to get. You can also go and train with I-League clubs in the hope of impressing enough to earn a contract. The Mizoram Premier League will also probably kick-off later this year and their will be plenty of small tournaments from the Durand Cup which should occur again or the Kings Cup in Bhutan.

Also, better agents are needed here.
    gaffertapereddevil87
  • MaddieMaddie ಮೈಸೂರು(Mysuru) / Canada2978 Points
    with above tournaments, you will able to produce mediocre players ... feel sorry for Udanta ..
    As a "f-you" to ISL, Udanta should get a deal in the US like Kallehmullah did ;)
  • gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points
    Udanta was kept away from ISL by his Club.
    coaches felt he needed something more stable for his development than glutz and glamour. .and most likely not playing for 4 more months.
    shankar
    Good move. I like Ashley Westwood and trust him enough to give him good coaching and Bengaluru FC are good facility wise. He was not even a regular starter with Bengaluru FC so this is the best and smartest move.
  • 7negi7negi India10890 Points
    Platt on ISL and I-League blend: 'Eventually, there might be an amalgamation' ( Goal.com) 

Platt a former England international, believes the ISL and I-League may merge one day

David Platt, the FC Pune City coach has expressed the view that the Indian Super League's (ISL) grassroots programs must begin from an early age, whilst also opining that at some time in the future a rethink of the format of the tournament will be required which may see a amalgamation of both of India's top leagues, namely the ISL and the I-League.

Quizzed on how he'd approach the sticky topic of grassroots, Platt explained, "I see myself as an employee of the football club and as an employee the question of what I’m going to give them is well thought out. I think Pune City and all the other franchise have to generate youngsters, may of them, millions of them throughout the country, so that when they seek a leisure time, they have a football at their feet.

"It’s four/five/six/seven years of age that children learn to feel and like the sensation of kicking a ball, whether you’re playing alone or with your friends. You develop an ability in your feet and then a later date, coaches can come and develop your tactical awareness, your strength etc.  So it has to start from a young age. There are people far more qualified than me, who start with kids that age. I would say my benefit comes in from a later age," he further added.

With regards to how he'd assess the impact of the ISL in the two months it was on air, the coach revealed that the first season, according to him, was about breaking ground, whilst the second season would see a far more fluid movement by the organizers.

"Regarding the league, it’s very, very young. Not only is it in the second year, but I would say, that it’s only in the first year that you have actually planned it correctly as last year was a bit of a rush. So I think from that perspective, it’s right for the protagonists that are in it to look at not only how to improve the league but also through dialogue and discussion and inform the other club owners of their steps and findings. Eventually there might be an amalgamation (between the I-League and the ISL) or the ISL may be prolonged," he elucidated. 

Clarifying his thoughts on the inaugural auction, Platt reveald the entire process was new to him, expressing, "But just right now, the ISL draft and auction was very alien to a person with my background. I know about the drafts which happen in several sports and the MLS too. It’s not over-alien to me, but the auction was. It would’ve been easy for me to come from my background of structure etc and also from a country where football has been a major sport for such a long period of time, to think, ‘this is silly, it shouldn’t be included in football.’"

The former Juventus medio concluding by adding he thoroughly enjoyed the process and was proud of the fact the franchise got the players they wanted, whilst also of the idea that such a process was necessary to draw popularity thereby gaining global and domestic audience to the ISL.

"The question is how would you create a domestic and global awareness if you keep things quiet? I think it was fun, entertaining and for us it was very profitable. We went to the auction with two targets (Jackichand Singh and Eugeneson Lyngdoh) and came away with both.  So from our perspective, it was perfect as we came away with a group of players we wanted. But even as a spectator, even though we had done all our business in Pool A, it was as enthralling in Pool B. I enjoyed the auction as a spectator in Pool B, because we weren’t going to be bidding for players on virtue of already completing our business."

• reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    It seems Platt is completely oblivious to the issues in Indian football. And doesn't have any idea about the team for organization for that matter. :P
    Deb_Ban