Indian Super League Post-Season 2 Thread

Comments

• Do we have any wild rumors like Giampaolo Pazzini yet?
  • Ok so this thread is new..Lets make it a bit active for now.. So we might see a few new marquees next season..Maybe in Kolkata,Kerala,Pune and Mumbai.. So what are the suggestions? @ArsenalFan700 You start it off..
    ArsenalFan700
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    You know I can't resist @debarghya89!!!

Well, we have this article describing A-League potential marquees: http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2015/12/22/18601672/potential-a-league-marquees-guest-players-for-january

I can see van der Vaart, Ronandinho, Adebayor, and Peter Crouch being marquees in the ISL.

Then you have this list: http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/a-league-marquee-list-didier-drogba-a-perfect-candidate-for-sydney-fc-says-mark-bosnich/story-e6frf4gl-1227371283978

Luca Toni would be an amazing marquee to get and if Chennaiyin FC can secure the services of Marco Materazzi again, could happen. Stiven Mendoza is gone and I don't expect Elano to return now and Toni would be the perfect replacement. Wesley Sneijder would be a stretch but not out of the realms of possibility... would be the best marquee in ISL yet. Niko Kranjcar is an interesting option. Ashley Cole can fuck off, saying that he did not want to come to MLS unless he was ready to relax on the beach, which, regardless of what you think of the league, is not the attitude you want from a marquee. Alvaro Recoba will be 40 by 2016 so hell no!

So ya... some good choices. Atletico de Kolkata though should try and retain Helder Postiga though and perhaps work with him to get him back to fitness for 2016. FC Goa should try and retain Lucio and only other marquee that could stay is Elano and maybe Simao Sabrosa. I fully expect Delhi Dynamos to go cheap and make John Arne Riise or Florent Malouda the main marquees of the team.

I still think Kerala Blasters and NorthEast United should go for cheaper marquees, i.e. guys from South America who are in their prime and willing to come to India for the money. These sides don't need stars to attract a crowd and if we can find more "Stiven Mendoza" type players that would be great for the league.

Mumbai City need to a big name the most after the shit that was Anelka. They also need a proper coach. Trapattoni wanted the job be he is to old now, they should maybe hire him though as a consultant and give the job to someone younger like Peter Zeidler or Philippe Troussier. Hell, maybe even get Antonio Habas in! Marquee can depend on what they want.
    debarghya89Ronny
  • I have an interesting question, who all think Mendoza should now be considered as Marquee? I mean he has been consistent over two years period with a very good performance in India. 

My point being if a foreign player (not an international hit) coming to India for ISL and is having consistent impactful performance over 2-3 years, should he be then upgraded to marquee subsequently?
    kartik91
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    If he shows consistency give him legend status not marquee... marquee is someone at his peak is way above the level of players playing in the league and have their USP which is not matched by many in the league...

I have seen lot of fans came to see glimpse of Ljunberg who was not good enough to start the match yet with his history with arsenal he is more useful to the league glory than Mendoza could be
    kartik91
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    We should shun this marquee rule once the 8 clubs establish themselves. Now,  5 are ready with a good enough base.  Pune, Mumbai City, and Delhi will also hopefully establish themselves sooner than later. 
    AKB
  • I do agree with you about the marquee definition. But if you see performance wise the current marquee level I doubt they bring something very new to the table. As of popularity, except first 1-2 matches people loose interest in the marquee. For rest of the matches people go to the stadium only to watch the team play than the marquee. 
    atuljg
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    Can @gaffertape shed some light on the financial status of clubs post ISL 2?
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    We should set a threshold, along with the salary cap, for what a non-marquee can make. Example, if a player makes more than $400,000 a season, they're a marquee. If they earn below, they are not a marquee.
  • Only thing I don't think playing style of Luca Toni and Mendoza is similar. Mendoza can take 2 -3 defenders but Toni is more like an opportunists but ya superior in the air.

What about including an U-23 / U -19 Indian mandatory?