Commonwealth Games 2018 : Mission Gold at Gold Coast

Comments

• deepudeepu Somaliya1621 Points
    I think so similar to last tournament , coach is taking  this tournament to test some young ones that is only assumption for some surprise young players selected and some better players left out as mentioned by @Bad
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    This is not an easy tournament. Australia, New Zealand, England, South Africa, Pakistan.   Ramandeep absence is mind-boggling.
    deepu
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Australia and England would be the real challenge.We should be beating the rest reasonably comfortably I feel.South Africa and Pakistan are weak teams.Atleast 3-4 goal Margin against them should be there.

Apart from England and Australia, Newzeland may give us a fight but I feel that we will have to have an extremely poor game in order for them to beat us.

Ramandeep,I agree.Also,for some reason they have also put Nikkin out of contention from the squad.
    munna219777deepuCarbon_14
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29623 Points
    https://scroll.in/field/872865/cwg-2018-balanced-squad-of-veterans-and-young-guns-makes-shooting-indias-best-medal-bets

CWG 2018: Balanced squad of veterans and young guns makes shooting India’s best medal bet

Shooting has been India’s most successful Olympic sport for a reason, with a proven track record at most multi-sport events and boasts of a pool of talented shooters at every level.

At the Commonwealth Games level, the sport assumes even more importance given the number of medals on offer and India’s past performance. A total of 114 out of India’s 438 medals in CWG, it is second in the list of India’s most successful sports, and 17 out of India’s 64 medals at Glasgow 2014 came from the 30-member shooting squad.

At the upcoming Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, the expectation will be no different. India will look to the 27-member strong contingent to get a bulk of medals and add even more to the gold column, as it has in the past editions.

However, this time the expectation is not too exaggerated given India’s recent performance. In the recently concluded ISSF World Cup, India topped the medal tally for the first time with nine medals, equalling the total number of medals won throughout the last year with two World Cup events at home.

Shahzar Rizvi, Manu Bhaker, Akhil Sheoran and Om Prakash Mitharval won gold while Anjum Moudgil bagged a silver, and Mehuli Ghosh, Jitu Rai, Ravi Kumar and Deepak Kumar finished with bronze. Even before leaving for Mexico, Indian shooters have notched some stunning numbers in the Selection Trials and National Shooting Championship

Given this rich vein of form, it is natural to have great expectations from the shooters.

A balanced squad

The Indian squad has 15 men and 12 women, after the quota was reduced to 27 from an earlier allocation of 30. There are 19 gold medals on offer with nine disciplines for men and eight for women, and two in full-bore, which India does not participate in.

The Indian contingent has a good, strong mix of experience and youth with the NRAI picking three teenagers and three more shooters under the age of 25. The contingent also has 2014 Commonwealth Games medallists Jitu Rai, Gagan Narang and Apurvi Chandela along with experienced shooters like Heena Sidhu, Tejaswini Sawant, Sanjeev Rajput, Manavjit Singh Sandhu and world No 1 double trap shooter Ankur Mittal.

However all eyes will be on the young guns – teens Manu Bhaker, Mehuli Ghosh and Anish Bhanwala as well as Anjum Moudgil. With the exception of Bhanwala, all of them have won medals at the World Cup in Mexico, with 16-year-old Bhaker grabbing two.

Past experience

One factor that could prove to be crucial for India will be the past experience some of the shooters have at the Belmont Shooting Centre in Brisbane which also hosted the Commonwealth Shooting Championship back in November 2017. India topped the table with 20 medals – six gold, seven silver and seven bronze.

Of course, with the amount of expectations and scrutiny on the squad, a key factor in India’s performance will be how the shooters handle pressure. In the past, Indians have failed at the final hurdle far too often, with one wrong shot undoing all the good work. However, the rich haul of medals across competitions in the last year should give them confidence heading into the big event.

Gold Coast 2018 could well be the final hurrah for shooting at the CWG with Birmingham keeping the optional sport out of the program for the 2022 Games.

The Squad:

Men (15):

50m Rifle 3 Position: Sanjeev Rajput, Chain Singh

50m Rifle Prone: Chain Singh, Gagan Narang

10m Air Rifle: Ravi Kumar, Deepak Kumar

25m Rapid Fire Pistol: Anish, Neeraj Kumar

50m Free Pistol: Jitu Rai, Om Prakash Mitharwal

10m Air Pistol: Jitu Rai, Om Prakash Mitharwal

Trap: Manavjit Singh Sandhu, Kynan Chenai

Double Trap: Mohd Asab, Ankur Mittal

Skeet: Smit Singh, Sheeraj Sheikh

Women (12):

50m Rifle 3 Position: Anjum Moudgil, Tejaswini Sawant

50m Rifle Prone: Anjum Moudgil, Tejaswini Sawant

10m Air Rifle: Apurvi Chandela, Mehuli Ghosh

25m Sports Pistol: Heena Sidhu, Annuraj Singh

10m Air Pistol: Heena Sidhu, Manu Bhaker

Trap: Shreyasi Singh, Seema Tomar

Double Trap: Shreyasi Singh, Varsha Varman

Skeet: Saniya Sheikh, Maheshwari Chauhan.

munna219777deepuCarbon_14
    edited March 2018
    Trap : Manavjit Singh Sandhu is a very old name representing India since 1998.Some youngster should have been given a chance especially when Gold Medal for India is a foregone conclusion.
    Gagan Narang has also squeezed himself in the squad 50m Rifle prone.
    Shooters hardly retire. Only Jaspal Rana, Samaresh Jung I have seen as retiring.

@Bad what happened to Olympic Medalist Vijay Kumar
    spartaCarbon_14
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    I seriously don"t know how and what these writers think before they write.

I mean the language "Shooting is India"s Best Medal Bet".It means India does not have any chance of winning a medal in any other Sport.India"s only chance of Winning a medal is from Shooting(Here also the writer is not confident,he is saying best bet).Its Hilarious!!!!!

Best Bet terminology, in my opinion is used when you are not very confident but still you don"t want to rule out that possibility completely.Please correct me if i am wrong.

eg)I remember I said,At World Athletics Championship,Neeraj Chopra is our Best Bet to win a Medal.It meant that we had no chance of winning a medal.However,Our only chance(outside chance was Neeraj Chopra)

So,saying "Shooting is India"s Best Medal Bet" means that in 2018 Commonwealth Games,We can"t win a Medal in any other Sport.Our only Medal chance is in Shooting.So,we might win a medal or two that too only in Shooting.

So,it does not make any sense to me,what the writer is trying to say.

As far as Sports are concerned,India can be the best performing country in Shooting ,Wrestling,Weightlifting .
    event.India can also be the best performing country in Badminton also.

Apart from these,India can give a good account in Boxing,Badminton,Table Tennis.

So, the statement of the writer is not warranted in my opinion.
    spartamunna219777
    So many controversies in who is going or not. While the names of some coaches has been slashed, it is shameful that Sania Nehwal's Father, P V Sindhu Mother's name was there as officials of Badminton Federation. What are they thinking, some film shooting or what. All these people would have talked to TV channels only non stop. These super rich parents can go as self-financing spectators, what is the need of them registering as officials/managers  and using tax payer money!!!
    ashindiaCarbon_14spartashibier
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Munna,Vijay Kumar has fallen off the radar since long due to lack of form.He has fallen down the pecking order big time.

Sports Ministry has refused to accommodate Saina and Sindhu's parents in Commonwealth Games 2018 Contingent which is a welcome step in my opinion.

Also,Sindhu has been selected to be the Flag Bearer at the Opening Ceremony of Indian Contingent,which is again a very good option in my opinion.
    spartashibierkartik91munna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29623 Points
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/other-sports/commonwealth-games-2018-indian-contingent-reaches-in-gold-coast/story-jtLkcluHFIVE7iAYsprFvM.html

Commonwealth Games 2018: Indian contingent reaches in Gold Coast

The Indian contingent reached Gold Coast for the Commonwealth Games 2018.

Members of the Indian contingent after reaching Gold Coast for the Commonwealth Games 2018
    Members of the Indian contingent after reaching Gold Coast for the Commonwealth Games 2018.

About 200 members of the Indian contingent and officials participating in the Commonwealth Games 2018 beginning next week arrived here today.

“The contingent members comprising athletics, boxing, basketball, hockey, lawn bowling and shooting have reported at the Village as they arrived in batches,” an IOA release said.

The teams and individuals were seen acclimatizing to the conditions and visited their training facilities.

The chef-de-mission, Vikram Singh Sisodia along with team mangers Namdev, Ajay Narang and Shiyad set up the IOA office at the Village to help India team members a hassle-free consultation and providing day-to-day facilities.

IOA President Narendra Batra and Secretary General Rajeev Mehta congratulated Sisodia for setting up of office smoothly to take care of the various athletes of Indian teams at the Village.

Carbon_14