SAFF Championship 2023

Comments

• samsam 16430 Points
    This is part of the game. India drew with China and Qatar. They missed many chances, barpost saved India on multiple occasions. You lose some, you win some. 
    ashindiaChelseafannamewtheldindian_goonergoalkeepar
  • RonnyRonny 10461 Points
    Stimac’s biggest result was India’s draw with Qatar. However this was the game where we have looked technically very solid. I like the direction we are going. Suddenly it seems like we might be able to beat Syria in the Asian cup. That in itself will be a big achievement 
    deepak dedhaindian_goonergiridharanEastBengalPride
  • samsam 16430 Points
    Which coach has received the highest no. of red cards in international matches?
    Stimac can be frontrunner in this if he continues for 5-7 more years in international coaching 
    ashindiaindian_goonergiridharan
  • SukunSukun Mumbai364 Points
    Ronny said:
    Stimac’s biggest result was India’s draw with Qatar. However this was the game where we have looked technically very solid. I like the direction we are going. Suddenly it seems like we might be able to beat Syria in the Asian cup. That in itself will be a big achievement 
    Many instance Indian full backs made quality moves only to be wasted.We have moved past the stage were basic passes vs Nepal, Bangladesh were applauded as a sign of progress.India needs final piece of puzzle to be fixed in the form of Attacking partner,or second fiddle to Chetri.Also our players barring Chetri are shy,lack confidence and are bad decision makers in front of goal,they should atleast attempt on target rather than scoring a 6er,it will make a huge difference to have goal scoring midfielders in run-up to Asian Cup.
    ashindia
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29650 Points
    Lebanon 1-0 Maldives
    Sukungiridharan
  • AbhishekAbhishek 461 Points
    edited June 2023
    Well, our team is playing extremely well (compared to their performance since last year).... Cant believe my eyes, if it's the same team which were hardly able to stitch 2-3 passes about an year ago!!!! 
    The credit must go to Stimac for instilling confidence in the boys to be go ahead and take charge of the ball and pass it around accurately!! 
    Very very impressed with their display in the ongoing tournament as well as the Intercontinental cup!! Touchwood! 
    Are Manvir Singh and Apuia out injured??? 
    Ronnydeepak dedhagiridharannamewtheldsouravindiaashindia
  • giridharangiridharan Washington D.C3660 Points
    Yeah Manvir is out injured now. He is better than Rahim in terms of making runs/dribbling and assisting. With him and Siva we are slightly better. Siva is a great decision maker in final third. In Asia cup when chances are few players like that make a difference. Adding Apuia and Brandon also improves midfield to be more robust defensively and offensively.

Stimac got a long camp that he always wanted and that seems to have made a difference. Now we do Tandem press and are good with transitions from the midfield. we are good with second balls which is something he always complained about. Finally he was not bluffing. But he demands the same longer camp for this Asia Cup for him to be able to consider an extension. For him it seems Indian national team should be put above everything else. If this demand is met and if he gets longer camp, he is inclined to stay. Not sure how FSDL is going to address that! As they have made of feast of the Indian team's success as if they are the whole reason for it. 

One thing I would still like Stimac to do is add these players who are out now in the King's cup and see where we stand before thinking about Asia cup. I feel King's cup is a good evaluator for the Asia cup. 
    NagendraSukunashindiaindian_goonerAbhishekkartik91
  • rathorevarun4 rathorevarun4 1651 Points
    edited June 2023
    I love poojary changte combination... The way they exchange passes very confidently shows a lot of improvement. Jhingan also playing very top football. Stimac definitely deserves credit the way boys played against Kuwait....kuwait struggled in the whole match... It's good we will face Lebanon in semis and hopefully Kuwait in finals... 
    souravindiaNagendraSukungiridharanashindiaRonnyindian_goonerAbhishekkartik91
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    Stimac has done good work in past 1 year but do we really want him to stay 9n after Asia Cup or do we need a change 9f guard with a new and better philosophy? For 9ne Stimac's wage demand would be too much for AIFF to afford. Plus I want someone who can get the best out of our young players and improve them in tactical aspects of the game. 
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6500 Points
    Teams like Lebanon, Syria & Thailand are technically good & better than us but not as fast like Kuwait. Most of the Kuwait players have good pace and few of our players drained out after dominating 80 odd minutes against Kuwait.  Same thing happened vs Oman, we are very good against them till 80 mins and somehow lost steam & conceded 2 goals in last 10 mins. 

As far as I remember, first thing gets to my mind is 2002 World Cup Qualifiers, We won against UAE 1-0 at home, even away game lost by single goal. That win is one of our best result. I didn't get chance to watch live at that time.

Next thing to come my mind is 2007 & 2009 Nehru Cup Win against Syria and 2008 AFC challenge win against Tajikistan. Winning against Thailand 4-1 in Asian Cup is also a good memory followed by away game draw against Qatar.

Our win against Lebanon in Inter-Contintenal cup (2-0) is nothing less. They are one of the strong Asian nation and qualified to WCQ 3rd round multiple times. Lebanon low point is 2010 WCQ, even during that the time, they won against us (6-3) on aggregate score.

As giridharan said, Thailand Kings cup will be true test for us. I hope we get to face Iraq first & then Thailand/Lebanon. Even in Malaysia Merdeka cup, hope we get to face Palestine first.
    giridharanRonnyindian_goonerAbhishekrathorevarun4