Should IFA change their name?

archakarchak 2082 Points
We have all heard here in Manchester a complete confusion about AIFF, IFA, PLS - the structure of Indian football. Is all this disturbing to you or are you rather happy about the international media coverage that Indian football is generating?

No doubt the coverage is good! As Jeff (Slack from IMG-Reliance) very
right mentioned in the workshop it actually shows the kind of
interest the world has for Indian football. But there are some
misconceptions about the fact if the AIFF or IFA is doing the PLS. You know as good as I do there is the problem of having two
federations named AIFF and IFA, which has been in existence for a
long time. IFA was set-up more then 40 years before the AIFF
(laughs). What can you do? I don't want a civil war by forcing the IFA
to change the name but it is causing unnecessary problems.

http://arunfoot.blogspot.com/2012/03/exclusive-interview-with-kushal-das.html?m=1

Comments

• namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Archak is the latest victim of sensationalism.. :O)
    I dont think a separate thread is necessary for this article.
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    somesh wrote:
    Archak is the latest victim of sensationalism.. :O)
    I dont think a separate thread is necessary for this article.

:-/
    but what do you think should its name be changed???
    edited March 2012
    I have a problem with the name of the thread...this makes it look like the Aaj Tak breaking news, its just a fancy of Arunava that he happened to ask Kushal Das (Imagine you meeting AIFF top official only to ask whether IFA should change name). So <b>IFA to change their name???</b> is misleading. A more appropriate would have been <b>Should IFA change their name?</b>

In that case my answer would be NO. There are lot many issues already at hand. IFA changing/not changing their name is too trivial to think about
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    somesh wrote:
    I have a problem with the name of the thread...this makes it look like the Aaj Tak breaking news, its just a fancy of Arunava that he happened to ask Kushal Das (Imagine you meeting AIFF top official only to ask whether IFA should change name). So <b>IFA to change their name???</b> is misleading. A more appropriate would have been <b>Should IFA change their name?</b>

In that case my answer would be NO. There are lot many issues already at hand. IFA changing/not changing their name is too trivial to think about

Thanks for the suggestion and as you can see changed its name.
    it may seem trivial to you and me or any other regular followers but it can be pretty confusing for any newbies...
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    its confusing ,everybody thinks IFA is the actual one
    Yeah. Now I am happy do discuss this issue. Well it is confusing for sure. The evidence is that when IFA did all this PLS nautanki, international media thought that it was I-League that was being restructured. Even some of the Icon Players (read JayJay) thought that this was Indian Football League (i have evidence for that).

But IFA has its legacy, like IFA shield. I would not want to change the name. It is fine. if dumbo AIFF cannot assert themselves internationally, then its their problem
    Off Topic: 6 users online..so I am not the only Insomniac around!
  • I say yes. The IFA is the governing body of West Bengal, not India. Same with PLS. I know they have changed it to "Bengal Premier League Soccer" but everyone (including IFA) still uses PLS and not using Bengal in the name.

Anyway I think that the whole West Bengal football structure needs to be more <b> modernized</b>.

1) Change the name from "Indian Football Association" to the "West Bengal Football Association" (WBFA). This would also help in international recognition for West Bengal. All this time it should have been ONLY West Bengal getting international football headlines for BPLS or PLS but all of India has been getting it because they are IFA and not WBFA.

2) Combine the Kolkata Football League and Bengal Soccer League and form the <b>West Bengal Super League</b>. 10 of the best teams in Bengal PLUS Mohun Bagan, East Bengal, Prayag United and Mohammedan SC play in a 14 team straight league home and away state tournament. Each team should be required to have a 25-man squad and the venues must be the EB Ground, MB Ground, Siliguri Stadium and that stadium in Howarth. This would save money as only 4 stadiums would be used. Also 20 of the 25 man squad must under-25. Thus giving the youth of West Bengal more of an opportunity. Also only 3 foreigners should be allowed with 2 allowed on the pitch plus only 3 players on the team can be from outside West Bengal.

Also as an added measure the teams that are in I-League (Mohun Bagan, East Bengal, and Prayag United) should be forced to play only the under-19 players with only 4 over-19 players allowed on the team. This will give the I-League youngsters more game time.

3) Use money gained from the WBSL should go into the following... 1) Infrastructure, 2) Youth development and 3) Marketing.

4) Save money and try renovating the Salt Lake Stadium and get bucket seats in there. Start with the lower tier then build up from there. Do it in stages, not all at once.

And done. If all this is done West Bengal will truly be Football Capital of India.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Logically one can argue they should change the name...but what is the need... it might be bit confusing but then ppl know it...now if u propose name changing, then IFA will be angry...there will be more jhamela etc...
    AIFF should keep local associations happy...IFA-AIFF has long history of jhamelas
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    The whole confusion is because historically when IFA was established they wanted full control of the national football (the job AIFF does now)...if couple of decisions had been different then AIFF wont have been born...instead IFA wud have ruled...so why put salt to the injury by proposing name change??? and why ruffle feathers there?