Should IFA change their name?

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points
    archak wrote:
    rudra wrote:
    not relevant for this topic but just to show the relationship between them are not good... if little illogic can keep both parties happy then its good.... one of the big issues in Indian football is the ego clashes between AIFF and state associations

let the sparks turn into a huge fire. if it goes for the bad the govt steps in, takes a few years of suspension from fifa, restructures everything, fifa withdraws the suspension, india takes the step in the right direction...

but these are issues not enough to get suspension..Indian associations have enough diplomats and politicians to know just how much change to make so that we can just float with our unprofessional setup
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    @rudra rule states govt interference = suspension
  • They will suspend the AIFF but that wont stop us from running I-League and it wont stop clubs like Barcelona taking over the Indian market. It would only mean that the National team cant play any FIFA matches. We would be unranked basically.
  • No, coincidentally, I was reading Boria Mazumdar and Kaushik Bandodhyay's Goal-less today and read the chapter on IFA's contribution to spreading football in India in early stages. Their name is a historical certificate and must not be changed. Besides it is far more important to change the way they work rather than focus on a strictly symbolical thing. It is almost like Mamata Banerjee changing the name of West Bengal in hopes of changing the condition of the state.
    No, coincidentally, I was reading Boria Mazumdar and Kaushik Bandodhyay's Goal-less today and read the chapter on IFA's contribution to spreading football in India in early stages. Their name is a historical certificate and must not be changed. Besides it is far more important to change the way they work rather than focus on a strictly symbolical thing. It is almost like Mamata Banerjee changing the name of West Bengal in hopes of changing the condition of the state.

i know that ifa has a history in spreading soccer in india but that has to happen since ifa was born around 40 years before aiff. but just as arsenalfan said ifa is no longer the top dog and is no more than a state association. it great to have history behind you but when history starts to pull you back its time to leave history and create new achievements. moreover the foreign clubs are quite interested in the indian market and to the foreign media it is quite confusing.
  • How can it be confusing? Regardless of who approaches them, IFA has no jurisdiction to combine with foreign investors without going through AIFF. And when they think about investing (and not casual reporting about PLS) they are bound to do enough background check to know the difference between IFA and AIFF. Name is not an issue here, changing the name will not suddenly improve IFA's efficiency. And what makes you think IFA can't create new achievements with their old name?
    IFA with this name can create new achievement i have no problem with that but whenever a newbie reads any such thing the first thing that shall come to their mind that ifa is a national association and any step they are taking is for whole of the country and not a single state. that newbie shall be decieved and how many of the newbie are going to do a further research to get the correct information??
  • I dont get it, what is so great about the history. Why cant you cant change your name. It has happened so many times in many countries like England, Spain, the USA. Even in Australia they changed there federation name from Soccer Australia to Football Federation of Australia.

If its necessary, DO IT! Right now Indian football is at a time when MORE AND MORE new fans are coming in and like archak said, who will do more research.

This is something that needs to happen whether you are happy or not.
  • English FA is called just Football Association for over 120 years, I don't see when they changed the name. Italian FA has been called FIGC since they were formed. The likes of Australia don't have any football tradition to speak of (regardless of their current status) so it hardly matters how many times they changed the name.

Any newbie who searches for Indian football is likely to search in wikipedia, where it is clearly mentioned who controls Indian football. Same in google. People who think IFA is controlling Indian football just because of their name are just being lazy. And that includes English journalists too.

And you want a 100+ year old organization to change it's name just so internet newbies find it better to understand? Seriously? If actual football investors got confused then it would have been a plausible ground. But actual investors are likely to do a proper background check.
  • If its necessary, DO IT! Right now Indian football is at a time when MORE AND MORE new fans are coming in and like archak said, who will do more research.

This is something that needs to happen whether you are happy or not.

People who will do more research with know the difference in two simple internet searches. Pretty sure they won't get confused.

Who decides what needs to happen? You? People in this forum? Do you have a newspaper article/poll/credible link saying IFA's name needs to be changed to help internet n00bs.