Quality of Football Coverage - is the Indian fan happy?

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

@devesh254 - your report is a good one, but I am little worried about the sample size of 61 (or 65, whatever it was). Also the study group would be biased, as a lot of voters are probably from IFN, 90 Minutes followers who are more into football, in many case Indian football.i would have been very interested to see the response from cricket following groups and others. Also without a sample size of atleast 1000 spreadout in different parts and interest groupd (which I understand is very difficult to get), the study may turn out to be misleading.

Maybe in long term you can keep a questionnaire for long and make it bit short and user friendly (I guess many dont like typing much and time taking questionnaires).

Good work
  • spartasparta Jamshedpur FC2074 Points

Today's front page news in TOI , awesomeness :)

• So.... we are now almost halfway through with the I-League and how do we feel about it off the pitch.

My personal opinion is that it is shit. We started the Indian football season 2012-13 with the Nehru Cup. NEO Sports did an amazing job with the Nehru Cup. They provided amazing graphics, inside studio with a former and famous player in Indian football and they tried and made it appealing to the average football fan. Good advertisement as well. 

Then it went downhill. The AIFF marketing partners IMG-Reliance decided to sell the Federation Cup and I-League rights to TEN Action with the Fed Cup Semi's and Final being held by DD Sports. What stupidity is this? At first I was actually quite happy but then from Round 1 you could tell it was going to be the same crap from TEN Action as before. The graphics were really bad, the commentator had no idea what he was talking about, there is only 1 commentator and of course their is no in studio pre-game or post-game or half-time show and their is no player interviews or attempt to try an attract the Indian crowd.

How do we expect to get the I-League even remotely popular if this is the coverage we are getting? We won't. For example a match like East Bengal vs. Mohun Bagan should have gotten the quality of an IPL match or World Series Hockey match at least and a lot of promotion. Did any of that happen? No, not at all. Was there any interviews with the coach, players, or officials about the game. The rivalry. Any rival montages to show how big a rivalry this is. NO! 

Again we are being looked at as shit and you know TEN Action is taken is for shit. Watch this...

Look at the quality of the coverage for such a shitty league playing a very unpopular sport in India. How do they get great coverage? 

If you look at reviews for the EFLI you will see people say that it is American High-School quality play but NFL America coverage. That got people up and made it a little popular. If we can somehow get this in I-League then imagine the possibilities. At the moment it is just crap. 

Opinions?
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

For Neo i-league whould have been their prime show. Because after the bcci deal which espn got neo have nothing much to show live. Neo whould have tried hard to make i-league a sucsses to show that they can do wonders,for ten its almost like the r doing charity for i-league.

• Exactly. Agree with @Ashlesh on the former Indian players. Look at the Nehru Cup... CHIMA OKORE!

And their are so many former Indian legends that can do this. Guys like Raman Vijayan or IM Vijayan would be huge. Soon Baichung could be there potentially. It would be huge for Indian football to hear analysis from them and others.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

i always said neo is better choice for i-league in all perspective, mainly after world series hockey which was telecasted in excellent quality much more than what one would have asked for 

• > shankar said:
    > i always said neo is better choice for i-league in all perspective, mainly after world series hockey which was telecasted in excellent quality much more than what one would have asked for 

Oh Absolutely. I still love NEO for their production of WSH and the Nehru Cup. I mean if TEN Action is working hard to package the Elite Football League of India into a World-class product than why not the local football league.

I remember watching the Sporting Goa-United Sikkim game and on the graphic not only did they not have the USFC logo but they had the Brazil flag... Sporting Goa vs. Brazil??? Pathetic.

Arsenalkid700
    > shankar said:

> i always said neo is better choice for i-league in all perspective, mainly after world series hockey which was telecasted in excellent quality much more than what one would have asked for 

Oh Absolutely. I still love NEO for their production of WSH and the Nehru Cup. I mean if TEN Action is working hard to package the Elite Football League of India into a World-class product than why not the local football league.

I remember watching the Sporting Goa-United Sikkim game and on the graphic not only did they not have the USFC logo but they had the Brazil flag... Sporting Goa vs. Brazil??? Pathetic.

CHOULD IMG BE THE REASON???

• In a way yes. IMG are the ones who gave TEN Action the rights to I-League and Federation Cup for 3-years (reportedly, not really confirmed) and it is also true that part of the I-League/TEN Action production is payed by IMG-Reliance but still, can't TEN Action do a little more. 

This is what TEN Actions coverage reminds me of....

This is HIGH-SCHOOL sports in America. I-League, professional football in India has the same coverage as High-School (Age 13-18) sports in America. Such a horrible thing.

Some of img's works just goes over my head. What chould have been the reason for not giving neo the i-league brodcasting rights?