India vs Palestine International Football Friendly, 6th February 2013

Comments

• Ashlesh last time I dont remember when but when Goa hosted an international cricket match more than 40,000 attended. And last time when Zambia played how many people came there. See India played Englad and more than 60000 turned up in Kochi. If Indian football team plays brazil more than 1 lakh would turn up. In cricket India is at the highest level so there will be more fans. Majority of fans who came to watch in Kochi were hard core football fans from Northern Kerala. They travelled hours to reach Kochi and unlike the tv commentator said its not the local Kochin people. If only people from Kochi were counted I think it would have been less than 10000. And the figures are incorrect I was at the stadium and atleast 30000 people were there.

• this is not international cricket match

this is match between some random Bollywood actors

I know today in Kochi the stadium is house full.I am in the office and people are asking for live stream links. Football has goot root only in Northern Kerala. Others have forgotten football. THey are more intereseted in IPL CPL etc. But in Northern kerala its an entirely different story. The atmosphere in KOchi was awesome thanks to those people.

• Its a culture thing. In India the main sport the media pumps is Cricket. Its like in America (yes, this is a good comparison) where the media pumps up American Football.

Here in New York you will get 80,000 a game for an NFL American football game while the Red Bulls of MLS will play a game at that same stadium and get 10,000 fans. Meanwhile a celebrity American football game can get 40,000-50,000 people.

Its culture. People grew up with cricket in India. I talked to a kid at my school who moved here from Mumbai a year ago and he said that while growing up it was cricket and at times, badminton but mainly cricket. Football was also followed but at night for the European games.
  • Yes. If India becomes a force to reckon with in football atleast in Asia it will surely overtake cricket. Lets hope something big happens in next five years.

• > jees_jose said:
    > Yes. If India becomes a force to reckon with in football atleast in Asia it will surely overtake cricket. Lets hope something big happens in next five years.

It will never overtake cricket. Cricket has to much power to fall. The BCCI is littered with money. But that is not the end.

Over here we have American Football as the top sport with every NFL game getting at least 60,000 a game (for all 32 teams) and we have accepted that no sport will ever overtake that in America unless you get the World Cup back here. But in domestic sport no one will ever beat. Reason is because we know we can have successful sports leagues that are not as popular as American football and still be great successes. Baseball is the 2nd best sport with Basketball at 3rd and the NHL at 4th (1st in Canada). 

Basically what I am saying is that India will be the same. For example we have "Hockey India League". Will it ever overtake cricket? No, but will it be successful? Yes. It is doing a great job and surely will be around for a long time. I bet in 10 years every HIL game will have at least 15,000 in attendance and at least 10-12 teams will be playing in it.

India is a developing sports country and right now it seems that it only has 2 top sports in cricket and hockey and in 10 years I bet we will see football added to that. It takes time and if the AIFF are smart they can do it. First we need to qualify for the AFC Asian Cup as a constant. This should be our last AFC Challenge Cup.
  • Well we have the Klkata Derby attracting 120000 people already and we have I think an average attendance of more than 5000 for I league this season. With more infrastructure and planning that will grow up. When we will have Calicut , Banglore ,Chennai, Delhi etc the I league will become stronger and the attendance will also go up. With the academies coming up and hopefully the standard of game also rises. And in  less than 10 years India qualifies for world cup..........ohh what else? Unfortunately that never looks like happening..

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

i think sometimes it is easy to get crowd for local events/matches that the international matches...it is true almost for most football centres we have been talking about....

• > jees_jose said:
    > Well we have the Klkata Derby attracting 120000 people already and we have I think an average attendance of more than 5000 for I league this season. With more infrastructure and planning that will grow up. When we will have Calicut , Banglore ,Chennai, Delhi etc the I league will become stronger and the attendance will also go up. With the academies coming up and hopefully the standard of game also rises. And in  less than 10 years India qualifies for world cup..........ohh what else? Unfortunately that never looks like happening..

The Kolkata Derby has a long history that is almost 100 years old (longer if you count the animosity within the Mohun Bagan front office before East Bengal were created). Mohun Bagan have a historical impact on Indian football and East Bengal have a history as well associated with West Bengal. This all stems from longer than 50 years ago. It is natural that the support these clubs get is huge. The history associated with these clubs is gigantic.

The other 12 clubs are not so lucky. No one is going to follow a club named ONGC or Air India while Mumbai and Pune are in weak football markets. United Sikkim and Shillong Lajong have lots of fan support potential but due to low population (Sikkim) and poor infrastructure they suffer. Goa has a really small population and 4 clubs. 5,000 is great but once the league becomes bigger and the demand for more well supported teams comes up I fear Goa will struggle.

I will admit though that it is good to see that the crowds are getting bigger in I-League. 3,000 to 5,000 is small but still major and I agree that it can only get better as infrastructure gets better and the India NT will get better. Can it happen? Yes but it all depends on how much AIFF wants it.
  • Shah476Shah476 240 Points

Where does mohammedan sc stand in the fan equation? If they get into i league wat sort fans u think thry can get?

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited February 2013

> Shah476 said:
    > Where does mohammedan sc stand in the fan equation? If they get into i league wat sort fans u think thry can get?

I dont like Mohammedan at all. I dont like the name, where it comes from and I am not a fan of the organization that runs them. Also they are yet another club with a name in the front (EMTA) and we already have 4 clubs from Kolkata and I would like to keep it that way.

Sure, if they are promoted they will bring in fans but they dont add anything else but that. I would rather see clubs from a different part of India that are ran better, play in a better stadium, and have a beginning support than accept the same shit that has brought Indian football to this moment.