The Future of the I-League

Comments

• usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    but 16 teams helps us with more points in AFC points table  and just might be enough to get us a full slot
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Korea has 14. Australia 10. Makes no difference
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29246 Points
    But I support 16 team league if possible from next year
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    I'm in for 16 teams but not next year. I want Mohammedan SC to get relegated and 2 new teams come up for next season and 2 more the season after that.
    But I support 16 team league if possible from next year
    Why? Do you understand why leagues purposely don't overexpand? Let me explain like this, what if by some miracle the AIFF announce that they will split the TV money evenly from next season onwards? How much would that be? How much would each team make in a 16 team league compared to a 10-12 team league esspecially considering how small the TV deal would be?

Also you have to ask yourself whether we have the player pool for 16 teams? I dont think so. Look at Rangdajied United, they literally had no good Indian players until they made their emergency loans. We just don't have enough players of I-League quality for 16 teams and in this business you want all your teams to at least look good.

And that is just two reasons. There are more but I feel these two are the easiest to understand.
    I'm in for 16 teams but not next year. I want Mohammedan SC to get relegated and 2 new teams come up for next season and 2 more the season after that.
    Overexpansion is never good.

• JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    But this could "over expand" I-league viewership.
    edited December 2013
    But this could "over expand" I-league viewership.
    It won't. I doubt Bengaluru FC is increasing TV viewship and their 7,000 fans is okay NOW but not in a few years. With each new direct-entry team we are going to be expecting the same as Bengaluru FC and MORE.

We are not ready for that. I would rather we stop this, rethink the plan for I-League, and also focus on the clubs we currenlty have like Mumbai FC who really need a stadium and more fans or perhaps we can organize the Kolkata giants EB and MB. We need to do all this before we think of expanding when we should not.
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29246 Points
    If aiff can bring in new teams from big citys and they promote them self I league trp will surely go up
    edited December 2013
    If aiff can bring in new teams from big citys and they promote them self I league trp will surely go up
    I doubt it. It's not that easy as everyone bloody thinks it is otherwise this would have happened by now. Bengaluru FC does well, gets 7,000 a game and now everyone thinks that just by following their model that any city can have a successful, well supported team.

Right now we can not overexpand the league, we need to stop, be happy that Bengaluru FC is a success so far in their maidan season, and rethink where we want to see the league. Right now we only have 2 teams which really fulfill the AFC Criteria in Bengaluru FC and Pune FC... we need to focus on the rest now, get them up to speed before adding more. Also we need to increase the talent pool and demand for more teams before adding more otherwise we will have a disparity in quality between teams which can work in Europe but not in India where fans want winners only and not losers (I dont see Sunderland fans in India!).

We need to be patient and not get ahead of ourselves. Focus on the fact we still have problems and fix them first before we move on.