The Future of the I-League

Comments

• namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Boy O Boy! Yes they never had problem. Just sometimes they quarrel over who would play first or which side of the field should one use..but otherwise both EB and MB are nice kids.
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29246 Points
    @arsenalkid700 is now grown up in to @arsenalfan700 now we have a new kid in town he is @karalakid how needs to grow up
  • ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    Haha, but I will admit, back then I was such an idiot who was full of himself (I still am but I wont admit it, plus I would like to think that I am more realistic today).

Kolkata United, Panjim FC, Bangalore City FC... oh god. Recommedning that one of East Bengal or Mohun Bagan move to Siliguri.

My favorite is still calling for Landon Donovan to come to India by 2013... he is not coming at all.
    "An Indian Football fan will become realistic person  within 2 to 3 years"  :( like me
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    @keralakid why East Bengal and Mohun Bagan play in the same ground? Because AC and Inter Milan play in same ground.

is it true?i never know that?so no prblm wt EB ND MB.
    WOW! Sudden change of opinion because two Italian clubs do so! So, now Kolkata clubs can also do the same, approved by Italian giants. :)
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    I thought Inter Milan and AC Milan were looking for new situations? That is why the Inter Milan owner is apparently working harder for a new stadium for Inter than with his other team, DC United.

Either way, whether East Bengal and Mohun Bagan like to share a stadium (kinda forced to here due to MB and EB Grounds not passing AFC Criteria's) the Salt Lake Stadium is still a hazard for Indian football. It is just way to big for all the other games these teams play. Sure, for one game they will get 90,000 fans but the rest they just get normal crowds in a massive building.

Idealy I would love to see a new, modern, 30,000 seater stadium made in the middle of Kolkata but I doubt that is feasable or realistic :(
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    edited April 2014
    I think now is the time to reform I-league, in this feel-good atmosphere after BFC win. I-league has managed to hog the headlines, however brief period it is.

It's important to introduce new corporate teams, particularly lure those who did not get an ISL team. More important is to prune the deadwoods. For example, AIFF should show some spine now and enact rules like max two teams from a city and max three teams from a state. This (and club lisensing criteria) will free up some space for new corporate teams in the league and spread the league. There ARE interested parties there.

Also, AIFF should not take in franchisees as they come; instead, they should have a clearly spelt out list of cities (on decreasing population sizes: Hyderabad before Jamshedpur before, say, Port Blair/ Trichy). Arrange matches under floodlights, even if AIFF has to pay the electricity bills. Allow reserve teams of I-league Div I teams in Div II to broaden the clubs' player base.

Importantly, ask IMG-R to find a broadcaster (or get lost: there is clearly a conflict of interest with ISL here, they should be shown the doors). Create some mechanism to give back the investment the clubs are making: share the broadcast (and sponsor) money with the clubs.
    In a way I agree with all that but then in some ways I disagree. In an ideal world I would love all of that but in reality it won't happen. Right now we have to agree that Bengaluru FC was a blessing. The I-League looked doomed to always be a semi-pro league with only 3 regions doing well in it and then along comes JSW Steel who form a team in a city which only back in 2011-12 had a team that never got any fans and turned them into well supported champions. No one predicted that.

I think now with the success of BFC we need to sit down, relax, and realize that it is possible to make I-League a successful league, that it has the potential to be so much more but it will only happen slowly and gradually. After that I would like to see the IPFCA disbanded because obviously that is a failed organization and a new one created called the "I-League Professional Clubs Association" (ILPCA) in which every club has a representive in the organization along with a few AIFF ones and they all work together to help each other out. Like at Bengaluru FC and Jindal. Why not help the other clubs become what you are? This would ensure communication between the clubs as well as help when needed.

Secondly, regarding teams, I want to see pro/rel stopped. The I-League 2nd Division is a dead league now and is a waste of money to organize. Instead money can be used on youth development and such. Have new clubs come in the same way Bengaluru FC came in but don't be a whore and accept any company willing to make a team. Make that interested company prove they have what it takes to make a successful team.

As for the players, we can't make rules. We can only encourage the clubs to go for better foreigners. The rest I don't know how to solve and some would take a full essay for me to write.
    edited April 2014
    Not surprised at such lightning-fast reaction. This is your favourite subject. Just look at the time difference of the posts :)) .

ILPCA: well this may be sorted out with a secretariat of the league which will have equal representations from the clubs + one from AIFF.

Pro/ Rel: Okay, you don't believe in that. I don't so believe in Halloween. Quits. But seriously, India is too big for just sixteen clubs. Even if you distribute the clubs throughout the country, the interest in top level football action will still be limited in selected pockets. The lower level (may be divided into zones to cut costs) will help to keep the passion on.

Foreigners: can't some rule-sets be prepared so that the quality is adhered (like should come from countries ranking say 100; or else should have played the national team if from say, below 150; lower than that would be a no-no)?

Basically, AIFF should be more proactive in right areas and in right time. That's my point. 
    edited April 2014
    @Deb Ban Ya, I was actually already thinking about this which is why I was quick to reply haha. Anyway, some clairification.

ILPCA: Okay.

Pro/Rel: I should of said that I don't want it for now, not in the future. In the future it can work, not now. Look at Japan, they did not start with it, they waited till it was feasible while here in India we went straight for it after 1 year and look at the result.

Although there is part of me that believes we should never have it and that India is capable of having a 1st tier with 24-30 teams in it.

Foreigners: Probably, I am to lazy to think about it.

Overall Point; YES!
    Thanks.

Japan is different. They were in Sumo, Sushi and Baseball , later shifted to football. India, a regional powerhouse in the '50s through the '70s; and then complacency set in, bad management took over and Cricket happened. But the underlying sentiment for football is still there: nurture it well, and it will sprout.

I have always felt that India can support a thriving football culture easily -- I mean emotionally, may not financially (at least till now). And that emotion may find outlets through the local football clubs. Yes, not all of them can shine, but who knows, with good management ...

No attempts have been made to make the state leagues popular -- hell, no attempts made for running state leagues at all. They just move along.