Mohun Bagan Super Giant News

Comments

• Just out of curiosity... is there a way that the AIFF can convince IMG to find a buyer to found a new club with the name Mohun Bagan. I looked into it and as of now the name McDowell Mohun Bagan AC is trademarked but the name "Mohun Bagan Athletic Club" is free for anyones use.

Lets face it, the current board at Mohun Bagan won't step down. They consider the CFL as a big cup and IFA Shield and know that 2 and a half seasons will fly buy (at least for them). So they won't step down.

Best thing to do would be to create a new club and have the club be funded by a person willing (yes, unrealistic but it's a thought) and have more fan connection.

This could be the start of a new era for a 2nd generation Mohun Bagan AC. A club ran in the 21st century. You can adopt the old history and promise a brand new one... a better one. I don't know but I would love this to happen.

Perhaps IMG could have the Kolkata franchise in the IMG League to be named Mohun Bagan.
  • NO this thing will not happen. Mohun Bagan is an institution and duplicate is not possible. Original stays original. New club -it will take it forevver to qualify first thru dysfunctional 2nd League.
    Sadly in last 5 years, we have seen so many clubs go down-Mahindra United, JCT, Viva kerala, Mohammedan Sporting and now Mohun Bagan.  IMG league will never happen-how many tickets will they sell for delhi franchise or Mumbai franchise. Its a big mess now. IMG league is a flop idea becoz there is no infrastructure. 

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

@arsenalfan700 - man, its fun to be creative...but dont say all this, this is too serious a matter, esp. for those fans who have lived thru 70s and 80s

• > rudra said:
    > @arsenalfan700 - man, its fun to be creative...but dont say all this, this is too serious a matter, esp. for those fans who have lived thru 70s and 80s

I know. That is why when I said that they could find a buyer I also said that would be unrealistic. But I am only saying this because I have seen this happen in America with many MLS clubs.

Look it up. MLS clubs like the San Jose Earthquakes, Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders, Tampa Bay Rowdies, Vancouver Whitecaps, and New York Cosmos used to play in the former NASL in America before the league died in 1984 and now they were revived.

Perhaps I was speaking to early about this but eventually if the current club dies (sponsors pull out etc) I would love to see Mohun Bagan revived because this is a club with history and as a user who opposed to any punishment on them I hope they come back a better side.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

at the moment Mohun Bagan actually loses 4 i league season -

2012-13 - Wont continue
    2013-14 - Can't play
    2014-15 - Can't Play
    2015-16 - Has to play 2nd division
    If they qualify then they can play in - 2016-17
  • > rudra said:
    > at the moment Mohun Bagan actually loses 4 i league season -

2012-13 - Wont continue
    2013-14 - Can't play
    2014-15 - Can't Play
    2015-16 - Has to play 2nd division
    If they qualify then they can play in - 2016-17

Who is to say their will be a 2nd Division by 2016. I already have a prediction that IMG will disband the I-League in around 2014-15 and form a new long-term IMG League with franchises. East Bengal, Pune etc will be allowed in as well. 

I find it hard that in the current format of the way things are going that we shall see the same thing in 2016.
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points

my hope is all teams will  learn a lesson 

• JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

Arsenalkid700
    The Fed Cup always represents the I-League and best I-League 2nd Division teams. If Bagan are in none then they can not play in the Fed Cup.

Mohun bagan can play fed cup but they have to come through qulifyers. Can the take part in afc cup if they win fed cup? Its not clear till now.

• projenatorprojenator 26 Points
    edited December 2012
    DRAFT OF PETITION FOR MASS SIGNATURE CAMPAIGN STARTING THIS AFTERNOON FROM GOSHTHO PAL STATUE

We are writing to you, at this moment, enveloped and overcome by a profound sense of grief
    at the turn of events that has led to the suspension of Mohun Bagan Athletic Club from the
    nation’s most prestigious and important tournament, the I-league.

Sir, for all of us Mohun Bagan is not just a sports club. It is a movement that carries our life
    forward. It is a cultural icon of Bengalis, the millions of us in Bengal, the rest of India and also in
    different parts of the world.

Mohun Bagan has been the nation’s answer to the inventors of football. Not only in that
    momentous afternoon on 29th July, 1911 when Mohun Bagan rejuvenated a tortured country,
    by taking the field barefooted against the rampaging masters of the game as
    well as our country, but also previously in 1906 in Gladstone Cup, when we defeated the then
    Shield champion Dalhousie, on our way to lift the cup. It is not only a football club sir, but a
    social institution.

Sir, we, the fans of Mohun Bagan, treat the club tent as a holy shrine, but this shrine has been
    sullied and desecrated by a group of power-hungry mercenaries. The iconic Mohun Bagan club
    and its devoted supporters are hanging their heads in shame because of the doings of a few
    people. We, the fans of Mohun Bagan, request and urge you to re-consider the decision. We
    have been remote-controlled to these shameful times, by people who were not even present at
    the Yuba-Bharati Krirangan Stadium on 9th December, 2012. We have been betrayed by some
    people who have a perverse urge to salt themselves at the expense of a century old club like
    ours. We request you to give the traitors their due and spare us from this excruciating agony.image

Please save the institution sir, give us another chance. We are rendering our heartfelt apology
    for something that is not our doing.

I urge you sir, to re-consider your decision. Mohun Bagan Athletic Club’s presence in the I-
    league will only embolden our country’s football.

Thanking you,

Your’s sincerely,
  • hadfadkarhadfadkar 1236 Points

Mohun Bagan Fans Protesting Against Their Club Officials, Yesterday At Mohun Bagan Tent.

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/396938_249901525140342_219593490_n.jpg