Vasco SC

12346»

Comments

• What it shows me is that the level of quality between the division is not huge, maybe all they lack in the lower leagues is a bit of tactical nous, It seems technical and physical standards are pretty close.

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29576 Points
    https://khelnow.com/news/article/goa-professional-league-2018-19-vasco-sc-eager-to-start-new-season-fernandes

Reformed Vasco SC eager to start GPL campaign under new coach Micky Fernandes

The port towners kick off the new season with a fixture against Calangute Association on 17th September.

Founded in 1951, Clube Desportivo de Vasco Da Gama (or Vasco SC in short) is one of the oldest clubs in Goa. It was founded then by a group of residents from the port town of Vasco de Gama in Goa. The club grew along with the community it was a part of, enriching the culture and managing to create a bond with its supporters. In a football crazy state, Vasco SC has managed to carve out a niche for themselves in Goan Football history. Now in 2018, Vasco SC looks reformed, refreshed and all set to enter the new season with a new perspective.

Mickey Fernandes took over as the head coach for Vasco SC for the 2018-19 Season. The former assistant manager-cum-player was part of the Vasco squad, which under former coach Eban Mesquita managed to finish eighth the Goa Professional League 2017-18. The team finished with 20 points after 5 wins and 5 draws escaping relegation comfortably by 4 points. This season they will be aiming higher. “I am looking forward to a good season ahead. This is my first season in the professional league, so my target will be to improve on last year’s position.” Coach Mickey Fernandes’ words reflect the reformed approach that has transformed Vasco SC this season.

The Goan outfit managed to retain most of their top performers from last season

The port towners spent the pre-season strengthening their squad to pose a challenge in the upcoming season. They managed to retain most of their top performers from last season. Centre-back Myran Pereira and intelligent midfielder Schubert Pereira join the club from last season along with pacy winger Anil Gaonkar and clinical forward Benston Barretto. Defender Minesh Kunkolkar was also retained after his strong performances last season.  The Goan outfit have also made a lot of strong additions.

The port towners played a practice match Velsao Sports & Cultural Club recently

However, this season was not always looking as hopeful as it does now for Vasco SC. The owners were closing in on a decision to not field a team for the 2018-19 season because of lack of funds, before Ravish Narvekar stepped in. The journalist-cum-entrepreneur managed to convince the board to let him manage the affairs of the senior team for one season. He managed to get sponsors who were passionate about the game and brought in new players to strengthen the squad.

Goalkeeper Subhranil Bose was brought in from Cuncolim Union, a first division side. The midfield duo of Shubham Rao Desai and Inacio Colaco came in from fellow Professional League side FC Bardez and defender Sanwil D’Costa joined from Guardian Angel SC. Right-back Lenstan Alfonso made the switch from Bangalore based Ozone FC with midfielder Moises D’Sia switching from SCC Cavelossim. Aman Govekar joins the club after featuring in the under 20 side of Sporting Club de Goa last season and will be looking to use his impressive talents upfront to help Vasco SC achieve success.

Vasco SC will be looking to start the new season the best way possible when they face Calangute Association on 17th September. The club will be looking forward to the challenge as they aim to play football for the masses, the fun and attractive way.

The club will be aiming to start the upcoming season with a bang

”I will not take any team for granted as every team here has great strength but my job here will be to find that out and play wise.” Mickey Fernandes’ statement about the competition reflects the positive mood in the camp. The whole squad got together to celebrate the gaffer’s birthday after practice depicting the relaxed atmosphere being cultivated within the team. The supporters are also hoping for a good showing this season, despite a tight budget.

Vasco SC is a club linked with the ethos of the state of Goa itself. In times like these when football is determined by money, it is very rare to hear stories about passion dictating terms in football. Vasco SC is proving to be the ultimate example in this scenario.

goalkeeparCarbon_14EastBengalPride