Dempo Club News

Comments

• namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    edited April 2012
    <span style="font-weight: normal; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; ">Panaji: Dempo Sports Club may have won the last of their ILeague titles. Armando Colaco’s champion team will continue to win hearts, points and trophies but it may not necessarily be in the name of Dempo Sports Club. <br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "> </span><div><span style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; ">India’s best football team for almost a decade now are giving a serious thought to changing their name to a city-based one in an attempt to give it a community feeling and attract more fans, giving them a clear sense of belonging. <b>“We want to change the name of the team to a Citybased one, possibly Panjim-related since the club was established from here and has its headquarters in the capital city. We plan to go into the concept of issuing shares like they do in the West and allow the public to function as owners of the club,” said Shrinivas Dempo</b>, chairman of the club and Dempo group of companies. <br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">    </span></div><div style="font-weight: normal; "><span style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; ">Dempo have won almost every conceivable domestic trophy and also became the first team from the subcontinent to enter the semifinals of the AFC Cup. But despite all of its record </span><span style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; ">breaking achievements, the club continues to make huge losses and it’s fan base has remained stagnant for a while. <br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "> </span></div><div style="font-weight: normal; "><span style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; "> Dempo’s annual budget is understood to be Rs 11 crore for the current season and with player salaries touching an alltime high, that figure can now only escalate. “The idea is heavily borrowed from foreign clubs where most of the teams are city-based. Then the Indian Premier League (IPL) following is also largely due to a city-based format,” said Dempo, whose club won a record fifth I-League </span><span style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; ">title on Friday. Interestingly, five of the world’s biggest clubs — Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Bayern Munich and Manchester United — all take their names from home cities. <br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">   </span></div><div style="font-weight: normal; "><span style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; "> “Dempo will continue to be the main promoters of the club but it will be a public limited company. Imagine if a fan buys shares of Rs 5,000 or Rs 10,000 there will be serious attachment to the team. Our aim is to take this club to the next level and have a much bigger fan base,” said the Dempo chairman.</span></div><div style="font-weight: normal; "><span style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; ">
    </span></div><div style="font-weight: normal; "><span style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; "><br></span></div><div style="font-weight: normal; "><span style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: justify; ">Thank you @debarghya89 for sharing the news. You have made my day! Dempo are heading in the perfect direction. Just as we wanted them to!</span></div>
  • debarghya89debarghya89 7326 Points
    arsenalfan wrote:
    <div><br></div><div>Again, suggestions...</div><div><br></div><div>- Panjim Rovers FC</div><div>- Panjim Athletic FC</div><div>- Panjim Goans FC</div>

<br><div><br></div><div>From these 3 I think Panjim Goans FC is the best </div> :)>-
    +1 for Panjim Goans FC<div><br></div><div>Other suggestions:</div><div><br></div><div>1. Panjim Strikers</div><div>2. Panjim United</div><div>3. Panjim FC</div>
  • debarghya89debarghya89 7326 Points
    But seriously Shrinivas Dempo is one man who really loves his football.And he's a visionary as well.Only if we had such people in the AIFF the I-League would have been a different stature<div>I seriously doubt the honesty,dedication and passion for football of the guys at the helm of affairs in the AIFF </div> ~X(
    Yes! That guy is just amazing. I believe he can do great things. I am just so excited about the I-League 2012-13!!!!!<div><br></div> :-bd
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    lots of promise!!! expectations have risen!!! Now it is time for action and win hearts.<div><br></div><div>Go Dempo Go!!! </div>
  • Suraj20Suraj20 129 Points
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    I would let the name simply be panaji FC  as it sounds simple and good