AFC U-22 Championship 2013 Qualifiers

Comments

• ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    edited June 2012
    Papas in his facebook page trying 2 communicate with the fans... this sorta communication from a coach is first in Indian football if iam not wrong..things that keep me excited about him is 'the sheer energy of a young guy' n his knowledge in sports science...i hope this interaction continues in his arrows period also, n also may be we fans could help him some way in his job...
  • VikiViki 140 Points
    <P>I truly accept Ajmal..... I guess he is very energetic..... I am sure he will surely succeed...</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P> </P>
  • ashindiaashindia 9365 Points
    ajmal wrote: »
    Papas in his facebook page trying 2 communicate with the fans... this sorta communication from a coach is first in Indian football if iam not wrong..things that keep me excited about him is 'the sheer energy of a young guy' n his knowledge in sports science...i hope this interaction continues in his arrows period also, n also may be we fans could help him some way in his job...

<br><br>Agree with you,Papas doing amazing work by interacting with fans online and not just that when I asked him to click few pics he uploaded them immediately next day. :)<br>
  • ashindiaashindia 9365 Points

<h2> U-22 team win practice match</h2><br><strong><br>NEW DELHI: </strong>The Indian U-22 team defeated Delhi Santosh
    Trophy XI 4-0 in a practice match played at the Ambedkar Stadium on
    Saturday (June 9). Alwyn George opened the scoring for the U-22 Indian
    team only for Manandeep Singh to double the score in the first half.
    Changing over, the U-22 squad added two more through Tirthankar Sarkar
    and Deepak Prakash.<br>
    <br>
    In a match where the result stayed inconsequential, Coach Arthur Papas
    found it logical to try as many combinations as possible. “It’s a good
    start but a Coach can never be satisfied,” he said after the match.
    “This was our first competitive match and I wanted to see as many
    players as possible,” he added.<br>
    <br>
    The change in the style of play was very much evident as the boys
    adjusted to the 1-4-3-3 formation which Papas has been stressing upon
    since Day one. The boys stayed content in playing as many passes as
    possible and the midfield operated at a good pace.<br>
    <br>
    “It’s a new system for the boys. But they have come up well and adjusted fast,” Papas commented.<br>
    <br>
    All India Football Federation General Secretary Kushal Das also had a
    word of encouragement for the boys. “It’s a new Coach and a new style of
    play. It was nice to see all of you combining well on the field,” he
    told the boys in the dressing room after the final whistle.
  • ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    edited June 2012
    <p style="font-weight: normal; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "></p><h1 class="title" style="font-weight: normal; margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 44px; color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Droid; "><font size="4">Indian U22 coach, Arthur Papas talks about India’s chance in AFC qualifiers</font></h1><p style="font-weight: normal; "></p><p style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">The Indian U22 team camp boys played their first practice match on June 9th, against Delhi XI at the Ambedkar Stadium. Playing under hot conditions, the U22′s came away with a 4 – 0 victory, with goals by Alwyn George, Manandeep Singh, Tirthankar Sarkar and Deepak Prakash. Speaking to the press after the game, coach Arthur Papas said that while the victory was good, there are still some areas that need improvement.</p><p style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><em style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: inherit; ">Excerpts :</em></p><p style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; ">Do you think that this team is adapting well to the 4-3-3 formation?</strong></p><p style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">“I think for a team that has only worked on it for one week, it’s adapting as well as it can. But it takes a long time to get used to it, so you can’t expect miracles and when you see improvement, that’s all you can ask for as a coach.”</p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; ">What did you make of Lalrindika Ralte’s performance?</strong></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">“I thought there were moments when he showed some very good signs, and there are areas where he needs to improve as well like every single player in the team. He needs to improve on areas of his game, but he has good talent.”</p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; ">How has your experience with the Indian U22 team been so far?</strong></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">“It’s positive, really positive. Coming to a new country so far it’s been positive and the people are very welcoming. I think all the boys have a good discipline and attitude. Now they just need more coaching to understand this type of game, and to play a different style of game.”</p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; ">What’s the status on Jeje Lalpekhlua’s injury?</strong></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">“We’re just being really careful with Jeje at the moment because he’s a very important player not only for our team, but for the national team. And so, at the moment we rehabilitate him for his knee problem, and when we get to Dubai we hope he can train fully by then. Hopefully by the 14th of June.”</p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; ">What do you have to say about the venue chosen for this camp? Delhi is very hot at the moment, would you have preferred it to beheld in Shillong or anywhere in the north-east at a higher altitude?</strong></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">“I think the temperature is ideal for preparation because in Oman, it’s exactly the same temperature, it’s very hot. And then all you hope is also the facilities and everything else around it are also decent. We’re satisfied.  Though ideally, we’d like to play more competitive matches. This is the first competitive match and you can see, that the other countries that we’re going to be playing against are playing international friendlies at the moment. (that) Level would be a very big jump, hopefully not too big for our players.”</p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; ">In India’s group for the qualifiers, which team do you consider as the biggest threat?</strong></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">“Every single team. If you base it on rankings, then Iraq and UAE are very strong at the moment in the Asian confederation. I come from Australia, and the Australian Olympic team did not score against Iraq or UAE, after being ranked 24th in the world, so you can work out how good they (Iraq and UAE) are.”</p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; ">Are there any plans for friendly matches against foreign countries?</strong></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">“There’s two matches planned in Dubai. Again the opposition, I’m not sure of the level to be honest I’ve left that to the team manager. I’ve been assured that the level hopefully, is higher than the level of opposition we played today.”</p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; ">Are you satisfied with how the team is adapting to the new style?</strong></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">“I’m satisfied with how much they can learn in the amount of time. Am I satisfied ever? Never. Never satisfied as a coach and I always know there’s something to improve. If you’re realistic, I think there’s improvement because we saw the video yesterday of the game in Bangalore a week ago and now (compared to that) there was improvement. Is it enough for the tournament? Then maybe, we’ll see.”</p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; "><font color="#cc0000">Coming to the video sessions with the team, how helpful are they?</font></strong></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font color="#cc0000">“Yeah the video is very important because first of all, I have to be careful because I don’t think the playing fitness is high enough, but that doesn’t mean we can train two or three times a day, or else we might have to deal with a lot of injuries later. So then I have to find other ways to educate the players. So we train in the morning, sometimes if they’re tired we use a video to learn more.<b> So it’s all just different ways of learning the system we’re trying to play</b>.”</font></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; font-family: 'Droid Sans'; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; "><font color="#cc0000"><b>Your plans for the future…</b></font></span></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="font-family: 'Droid Sans'; font-weight: normal; "><font color="#cc0000">“</font></span><font color="#cc0000"><b><span style="font-family: 'Droid Sans'; ">The future plan is that I use this as </span><font face="serif">a platform for the Pailan Arrows</font><font style="font-family: 'Droid Sans'; ">, because it’s an opportunity to introduce a system</font></b></font><font color="#444444" style="font-family: 'Droid Sans'; font-weight: normal; ">. I have an opportunity to work with them for longer,</font><b><font color="#444444" style="font-family: 'Droid Sans'; "> </font><font style="font-family: 'Droid Sans'; " color="#cc0000">not being so rushed to make the system come to effect, then in the I-League I think we’ll be very impressive</font></b><font style="font-family: 'Droid Sans'; font-weight: normal; " color="#cc0000">.”</font></p><p panel-id="panel-id-1" style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; margin: 15px 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 23px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><a href="http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/06/10/indian-u22-coach-arthur-papas-talks-about-indias-chance-in-afc-qualifiers/">http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/06/10/indian-u22-coach-arthur-papas-talks-about-indias-chance-in-afc-qualifiers/</a>;
    </p>
  • sanvedjadhavsanvedjadhav 1096 Points
    i like him.... ;-)  maybe he can manage a turnaround in a year or two with the youth squad and arrows<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
    i like him.... ;-)  maybe he can manage a turnaround in a year or two with the youth squad and arrows</font><br><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">

</font><br><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Agree. He knows what he has to do and he knows the challenge. To be honest we probably wont see a major change till around 2018 when the u14 Academy kids are turning pro. We all have seen what the u16 boys can do when they get proper training at an early age.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Also I am hoping that Papas gets some influence on the state federations to forget about State Leagues at the moment and focus almost completely at the u10 and u14 level. As time goes on the state federations can make the state feds better.</font></div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Heard that Arthur Papas, like Bulpin is also a disciplinarian...that is important and good
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
    rudra wrote: »
    Heard that Arthur Papas, like Bulpin is also a disciplinarian...that is important and good

</font><br><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">That is excellent. We need that here. People keep talking about the tactics and speed and all that but while that is important they are forgetting the mental part of the game. That is part of why Sukki failed. Papas is good at this (from what I can see so far). Give him 1-2 seasons at Pailan and he will do wonders.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Also I dont know but I have a feeling that Wim is only here for 2-3 years and then Papas will become India head coach. I dont know but I feel it.</font></div>
  • VikiViki 140 Points
    Good to see Papas working out his style of play with the team.....Y cant he ask for a fitness trainer from countries like Australia or South Africa............