2012 IFA Shield

Comments

• Ya, your comment is not showing
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    East Bengal 3 - 0 Shillong Lajong

Botafago 1 - 0 Chirag Kerala
    Chirag were 10 men from 65th mins and the goal came in injury time
  • MidlajjMidlajj 134 Points
    Bad start to the new officials. Hope they will get on track before I league restarts.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    Midlajj wrote:
    Bad start to the new officials. Hope they will get on track before I league restarts.

what bad start are you talking about??they kept the scoreline 0-1 against a brazilian team that is fantastic i guess
  • MidlajjMidlajj 134 Points
    shankar wrote:
    Midlajj wrote:

what bad start are you talking about??they kept the scoreline 0-1 against a brazilian team that is fantastic i guess
    talking about the tournament bro, two back to back defeats for the new team. More than that from what I have heard the performance in both matches are worse. Thats is no where near Kerala side used to play.
  • Midlajj wrote:
    shankar wrote:
    Midlajj wrote:

talking about the tournament bro, two back to back defeats for the new team. More than that from what I have heard the performance in both matches are worse. Thats is no where near Kerala side used to play.

I know United SC did well with Chirag as sponsors but I can tell you that Chirag's track record isn't that good. They try to meddle with club's internal affairs way too much. They even tried to take over USC but failed and then left them sponsor less at a crucial time. USC was saved because they are ran by a very dedicated group of people who have been associated with the club for a long long time.
  • ashindiaashindia 9248 Points
    edited March 2012
    Is this the Botafago team which plays in Brazilian Serie A ???? or is it the one playing in C Division.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    ashindia wrote:
    Is this the Botafago team which plays in Brazilian Serie A ???? or is it the one playing in C Division.

that was the thing i also wondered but since it is ifa shield and brazilian league being telecasted in kolkatta that is every chance of it to be the serie A side only
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    ashindia wrote:

I know one of the players in this Botafago team plays for Brazil U21/23 regularly
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    edited March 2012
    This is actually the U23 version of the Serie A Botafago team. But at least 5 of them are in the senior team. Check the following report:
    Calcutta: One look at Brazilian club Botafogo during a practice session at the Howrah Stadium, on Friday, was enough to convince onlookers that this was no ordinary team.

The under-23 team from Rio de Janeiro boasts of at least five players — Milton Pires, William de Oliveira, Alex Lopes, Bruno Araujo and Vinicius Durante — who play for the senior team. Moreover, goalkeeper Milton Pires has even rubbed shoulders with the likes of Nilmar and Neymar while playing for the under-21 national side.

Other players to watch out for are Vinincius Coimbra Colombiano, winner of three Brazilian championships with Flamengo (2008 and 2009) and Botafogo (2010) and Wallace Teixeira Simoes Correa, who has played for the Brazil youth team. “Yes this is a young team… But they’re very good,” coach Felipe Arantes said.

<b>It is quite possible, that Calcutta may be a premature witness to some future footballing greats.</b>

When asked what to expect from his side, Felipe said, “Botafogo have a philosophy for their football. Our philosophy is to pass… pass… pass… One might say that it resembles Barcelona. But let me tell you that Barcelona and (world champions) Spain play the Brazilian way. It’s time for us to bring that style back. Hopefully, we will be able to show India what we’re capable of.”

On being asked what formation his side is comfortable playing, Felipe said: “We prefer the conventional 4-4-2 and the 4-3-2-1.” Having arrived on Holi, the coach expects his side to perform with flying colours. “Hopefully, we can win the trophy. We love playing on grass, so let’s see,” warned the coach.

When quizzed on his knowledge of Indian football, Felipe said: “We don’t know much about Indian football. But we’re aware of the fact that this is the 116th edition of the IFA Shield.”

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120310/jsp/sports/story_15232236.jsp