IMG-Reliance sponsored AIFF's IPL style league

Comments

• ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Keeping in mind this is only a 2-3 month thing, I am guessing that these foreign stars could (and that is a big "could") be payed $1,000,000 for this. Thierry Henry and David Beckham made around $3,000,000 to $5,000,000 for a whole season so I am sure for a 2-3 month league you could negotiate smartly and lower the salary of the player, especiallyif these stars are already retired.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I wonder though. Could IMG-Reliance go negotiate with a few Premier League youth players who were released by their club but never got a contract? Guys like Conor Henderson (Arsenal), Archange Nkumu (Chelsea), and Dean Parrett (Tottenham) are still available and may not find a club before the window closes (yes, I know free agents can still be signed outside the window).</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Also, there are a few experienced players who are free agents still that we could get for this league like Yossi Benayoun and David Bentley. Not bad players, however, far from crowd pullers.</font></div>
    silicon3 wrote: »
    <p>
    Joyptan wrote: »
    Well every team will have 6-7 foreigner and if IMG-R realy get the players which the are pretending to do the, just the foreigners will cost 10-15 crores or maybe even more. and then the indians, 2 crore will be the least they will get. add to that other costs. I don't see a team spending less than 15 crores/season.

<br></p><p>15crore x 6 fanchise = 90 crore.. not far off to what the total spend on  the I-league is...</p><p>big Question how do the Franchise's make ther profit?..</p>

<br><div><br></div><div>They probably won't make a profit initially. The TV deal will probably be low (but not to low) as we don't know how this league will do. Also the players will not be payed mega, mega bucks which would soften the blow a bit. You also have other expenses like rent of stadium, other staff etc.</div><div><br></div><div>Also expect ticket revenue to not be at its best. Sponsors may actually be big but that is yet to be seen.</div><div><br></div><div>If this league does well after 2-3 seasons then I can see them start making a profit.</div>
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points
    <p>jut trying to summarise the COSTS here PER FRANCHISE..feel free to add the headers & costs</p><p>foreigh players - 15 crore</p><p>indian players - 2 crore</p><p>Support staff - ??</p><p>Hotel Expenses- ??</p><p>Travel Expenses-??</p><p>Stadium Rent - ??</p><p> </p><p>INCOME PER FRANCHISE</p><p>TV DEAL - ???</p><p> </p>
    Ashlesh wrote: »
    and add to that FIFA is not ICC where BCCI or any other federation do monopoly to change the transfer rules

<br><div><br></div><div>IMG-Reliance league will not be totally affiliated with FIFA. They can do what they want.</div>
    Ashlesh wrote: »
    <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"No international footballer would ever want to play only two months of a season. That would be effectively finishing off his international chances.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"Maybe the idea makes sense financially,But if a player gets injured playing a smaller league, no established club is going to accept that."<br><br>Glen Cornell </span><div><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">now we i wonder which fool player will come for 2 to 3 month and risk his entire career </span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">even if he not playing for national team and playing for good club he wont risk of sitting out for 5 to 6 month </span></div>

<br><div><br></div><div>Who is this Glen Cornell, sounds like a disappointing player.</div>
  • spartasparta Jamshedpur FC2074 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">There's going to be huge TV deal and sponsors will come if guys like SRK are interested in getting a franchise. When IBL can get sponsors then football will surely get sponsors. Currently, one thing is missing in Indian Football i.e : ENTERTAINMENT .</font><br><br><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Once you start getting those aspects into Indian football , lots of people will leave daily TV drama and instead will watch this.</font><br><br><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">And the franchises will surely make profit in the longer run, whether or not Indian football will improve is another ball game together.People in metros need hangout places, and they will certainly want to see some of their fav stars who played during their childhood/teens. </font><br><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Initially everyone is opposed to it as no one knows how successful it will be in near future. Just let us assume a scenario where somehow it is a success story, then it will inspire lots of young kids to pursue footie as a career. Right now very few of the Indian middle class people will allow their child to have football as career(currently football is just for north easterns, bongs and goans).</font><br><br><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Ileague as of now is almost dead product in terms of marketing potential and no one wants to know about it apart from 3-4 states. But this league will have TV coverage, news coverage almost daily and lots of guys from the non footballing states will want to play football in future.There will be lots of cross promotion here and there. <br><br>And guys seriously stop worrying about the financial aspects of it, as the guys who will get those franchises will do good amount of marketing for their franchises , as they will be running businesses not charities. <br><br>For e.g. If Kolkata franchise is owned by SRK, and they somehow get Beckham or Owen in their franchise, you might see a Nokia ad featuring Beckam n SRK N Owen with some Indian guys too. <br><br>Playing with these amateur nigerians isn't improving Indian football anyway and we are only going downhill. We don't have any competitive football in the near future for around 2-3 yrs,apart from the SAFF cup( In SAFF games, even swimmers get huge numbers of medals,and we struggle to win even that).<br>I would love to see Udanta Singh, Uttam Rai play alongside Beckham n company rather than watch them play with James Moga.</font>
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points
    edited August 2013
    <p>
    sparta wrote: »
    <font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana">There's going to be huge TV deal and sponsors will come if guys like SRK are interested in getting a franchise. When IBL can get sponsors then football will surely get sponsors. Currently, one thing is missing in Indian Football i.e : ENTERTAINMENT .</font><br><br><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana">Once you start getting those aspects into Indian football , lots of people will leave daily TV drama and instead will watch this.</font><br><br><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana">And the franchises will surely make profit in the longer run, whether or not Indian football will improve is another ball game together.People in metros need hangout places, and they will certainly want to see some of their fav stars who played during their childhood/teens. </font><br><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana">Initially everyone is opposed to it as no one knows how successful it will be in near future. Just let us assume a scenario where somehow it is a success story, then it will inspire lots of young kids to pursue footie as a career. Right now very few of the Indian middle class people will allow their child to have football as career(currently football is just for north easterns, bongs and goans).</font><br><br><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana">Ileague as of now is almost dead product in terms of marketing potential and no one wants to know about it apart from 3-4 states. But this league will have TV coverage, news coverage almost daily and lots of guys from the non footballing states will want to play football in future.There will be lots of cross promotion here and there. <br><br>And guys seriously stop worrying about the financial aspects of it, as the guys who will get those franchises will do good amount of marketing for their franchises , as they will be running businesses not charities. <br><br>For e.g. If Kolkata franchise is owned by SRK, and they somehow get Beckham or Owen in their franchise, you might see a Nokia ad featuring Beckam n SRK N Owen with some Indian guys too. <br><br>Playing with these amateur nigerians isn't improving Indian football anyway and we are only going downhill. We don't have any competitive football in the near future for around 2-3 yrs,apart from the SAFF cup( In SAFF games, even swimmers get huge numbers of medals,and we struggle to win even that).<br>I would love to see Udanta Singh, Uttam Rai play alongside Beckham n company rather than watch them play with James Moga.</font>

<br></p><p>@sparta there are a lot of if & buts and general wishful thinking in your comment... u mention IBL ..  IBL needs badminton courts which are readily available, no football courts  or big stadiums r  required.. In IBL a  lot of current top players are playing against top indian shuttlers..any badminton fan will be intrested to see indians play against them in a comfy indoor setting in a one on one setting..there is no 90 minute team game here...</p><p>u say there is no entertainment in football...?? the 90 minute game of football is the Entertainment..Currently why cant IMG promote the I-league like the 1st Edition of NFL..there was good visibility and marketing..</p><p>how will udanta , uttam playing with Beckham help improve indian football..yes there will be media frenzy , how will this trickle down to our Clubs and national team..the entire concept of IMG- IPL is flawed.. it will take 2 long to refute the points, its aldready been done in this forum and in news articles + blogs.</p><p>Why is IMG so secretive about their plns, don u think revealing the plan to AIFF, the  clubs and d public will help clear any misconception..IMG behviour realy stinks, all  they care is profits comming in from Year 1  , Development of indian football my foot!!..</p><p>Have you heard one positve thing from IMG , have they unvelied any details long terms plan, do they even have a website highligthg what their plans for indian football is?.have we have any in depth intervews on their plans from CEO/Directors ...NADA...AIFF has to be their pimp as all d money is comming form IMG..so IMG agenda is AIFFagenda, so what if football in india gets screwed.</p><p>I am sure if IMG were transperant and more communicative, perhaps they would have have more people on their side..IMG is a classic case study of how not to do things,</p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • spartasparta Jamshedpur FC2074 Points
    All the metros and the tier 2 - tier 3 cities have huge cricket stadiums, which can be used if you have enough money power, which I believe IMG- Reliance does have.<br><br>And the players will get 2 months continuous training from world class coaches along with  some of the best players of the world.<br><br>Ileague isnt a nationwide product and it caters 3 regions only Bengal,North East & Goa (Mumbai n Pune teams r almost dead),so it can't be promoted on national TV. That why we have problem of TV deal each and every year. These city based teams will certainly penetrate into more homes. <br><br>There's quite a decent football following in the states like Jharkhand, Orrisa but they don't have any teams or role models to follow, but if there is a Kolkata team they will certainly follow the game like they do in IPL.  <br><br>All I am saying is this will increase the visibility of the football in India and future mothers won't hand out a cricket bat as bday gift to their children. How many of us really follow Indian Hockey, but the league version of it became quite popular.In Ranchi people play hockey in schools only , but people thronged to the stadium to watch the league, due to aggressive marketing.<div><br><div> The current model ins't taking us anywhere and we should just dream of participating in 2030 WC ,  even which might be too early going by current trends. Even the current clubs don't have financial muscles to attract good foreigners.<br><br>This might give a platform for our young players to impress some scouts and in the long run they might even get foreign contracts. Until and unless we play with players above our levels we are not going to improve. The current seniors might not improve much as most of them are quite oldies and past their learning date, but the young kids are surely going to learn lots of stuff which will eventually help the Indian football. <br>Eventually, football will seem like a lucrative option for everyone.<br><br>Also any league will succeed in India , if it has pan India presence. do you really think that Lucknow is a badminton city? Indian Football isn't taping the main weapon of India : <i><b>1.24 Billion Indians</b>.</i><br><br></div></div>
    Why do people believe SRK can just come in and make this a big big deal? Sure, the publicity would be great but that does not mean the franchise will be successful or that he can get the team ready BY JANUARY.<div><br></div><div>God! I hate this mentality.</div>
This discussion has been closed.