India in Rio Olympics 2016

Comments

• NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6766 Points
    ;souravindia ..

news are true... Tintu Luka is already part of 4*400m .... she is one of the best runner in asia in 800m and can run 400m fast... actually it is not loss for India... it is a gain for us... 1 additional spot...

6 are allowed in 4*400m event and with Tintu, we have additional 1 spot .... 7 players can participate...
    footydip
    guys... count is 121 reduced by 2 .....

as per rules, Muhammad Anas & Nirmala Sheoran should be named in 4*400 m Relay team.... if they want to be part of relay team... so count reduced by 2... 

as you all know...Muhammad Anas & Nirmala Sheoran already qualified in individual 400m men & women events and they are best in India..
    friends.. I don't see much participation in this discussion.... seems to be only few are interested...

If you guys are interested, then I'll share who have the best chance for podium/medal in other events....

so far I covered only Athletics... let me summarize....

we have best chances in Long Jump, 800m , 400m , 3000m Steeplechase... & 4*400m relay

It will be good if we can get atleast 1 medal in Athletics.. this is our best chance... Don't wanted to see anymore Milkha Singh, P.T.Usha kind of misses... 
    Badkartik91
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Nagendra,i'll definitely share the possible medals tally,possible Athletes who can win us Medals,so on and so forth in my opinion.Since, you had shared abt Athletics,so I was waiting for you to share your complete list before sharing mine.
    Nagendrakartik91
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Yes yes,plz go ahead and share your opinion.
    Nagendra
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    How about pasting a complete list of Indian Athletes or say all Indian participants in Rio 2016 with respective World Rankings? This will make us easier to know that where we stand now or who are our medal prospects?
    So far in this Olympics, lot of attention is on qualification but little attention is given on real medal prospects.
    Nagendra
    ;Bad  & namewtheld 

let me summarize..

Olympics format is quite favorable to top 3 nations.Australia,Netherlands & Germany have best chances for top 3 finish..

But 2016 format is way better than 2012 and earlier events.... at-least other teams get a 2nd chance.

By the end of group stages ( after 5 games), Australia,Netherlands & Germany definitely will be in top 2 in their respective groups and just need to win 1 more game to be in top 4 .. It is pretty much possible as they will get easier opponent(3 rd or 4 th placed teams)...These teams are favorites for top 3 ...because now-a-days they are very dominant.. earlier teams like Spain,S.Korea & Pakistan used to challenge Australia,Netherlands & Germany.... now these teams are weak and can no more challenge them... 

On the other way, India/Argentina (playing in S.America advantage to Argentina ) needs to finish in top 3 in group B to avoid Australia in QF... Facing GB/Belgium is better than facing the likes of Australia ( We will not face Netherlands & Germany in QF as India/Arg are in same group of these 2 nations)...
    and after QF win India/Argentina just needs to win 1 more game to finish in top2, (possibly Netherlands/Germany in SF )..It is possible if we play well in SF and luck also should favor us..even if we lose SF, we will still have second chance..

Only India/Argentina have best chances to finish in top3... but we cannot under-estimate teams like GB,Belgium & Newzealand.... I agree India improved a lot.. but they are also playing good now-a-days...
    munna219777kartik91
    One thing which worries me is that our players should be at the peak when real Olympics tournament is going on. So many of our Athletes have suddenly given their best performance to qualify in last few months. I just hope that they will be able to better those records at Olympics.
    I was listening to one expert that in Scientific training, an Athlete is able to peak 3-4 times only in one year. Lets see.
    Nagendra
    ;munna219777 ..

good idea to know where we have best chance... but it will be difficult to gather rankings in all events...

also there is no guarantee that top rank players/athletes  will be in podium... We have seen this with top Indian Archery players/Boxing/Shooting/long jump.... Rankings will based on championship points and not always top players or best performers will be in top3 rankings...  Few events are quite unpredictable in Olympics...
    munna219777
    Any idea about Flag Bearer of India in Opening Ceremony?
    My bet is on Saina Nehwal. Other people may be Abhinav Bindra, Gagan Narang, Yogeswar Dutt or Leander Paes. Bindra and Paes have done it before so Nehwal will get chance this time I think.