2016 AFC U16 Championship INDIA

Comments

• Age cheating is slowly going to come down i feel. It is because previously it was just hand written birth certificates which could be easily forged.

But now with UID Aadhar cards for small kids  with retina scans, fingerprints and online database for birth registrations, it will be highly difficult and also 'expensive' to forge documents. I dont think parents or coaches will go through such pains to make a kid few years younger just for age group games.

There will be exceptions for sure as this is India, but it is surely going to come down. It also requires tight scrutiny from officials, but less said about the AIFF and State FAs, the better.
    munna219777thebeautifulgamegaffertapesilicon3
  • BrainFallINDIABrainFallINDIA India7111 Points
    Stadium looks awesome, definitely more than 5_6 k by the looks of it .
    munna219777
  • samsam 16442 Points

Volunteers gain invaluable experience at AFC U-16 Championship

In addition to casting the spotlight on Asia’s stars of tomorrow, the AFC U-16 Championship India 2016 gives an opportunity for local students to get involved in the organisation of an international football tournament through volunteering.

Students from Don Bosco College Panjim and Don Bosco College of Engineering, Margao, in Goa, the Indian state hosting the tournament, volunteer their time to help with the organisation and in return are offered training, transport, meals and an AFC U-16 Championship uniform. 

The 85 volunteers working at the two stadiums used in the competition, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and GMC Stadium, are students of physical education or engineering. They are between 18 and 22 years and help out in competition operations, media, marketing and hospitality and training-site management. The AFC U-16 Championship Local Organising Committee (LOC) held a three-day orientation course for the volunteers ahead of the tournament. This was followed by operational training at the stadium. 

Each operational area has been designated a coordinator who manages their respective teams. Abhishek Pendekar (21) is one of the coordinators at the Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium where he works in competition operations. Taking part in the AFC U-16 Championship India volunteer programme is an experience he says he has really enjoyed so far.

"It's been really nice to come and work with some amazing people here. I have really grown fond of it." 

An electronics and telecommunications student, Abhishek roots for India and FC Goa. He confesses he is the only one in his family who follows the sport vividly: "My parents and my two sisters aren't into this; I really think though if I show them this article, they will be jealous and will come for the next India game." 

"His exuberance is what makes him stand out", added his coordinator, Ankush Arora – and that positive attitude is clear for everyone else to see, too. 

Ankush Arora from the LOC is responsible for the volunteer programme. He said: “Volunteers are an important part of the staffing plan for a tournament like this one and we very much value their contribution. The students receive training in their area of responsibility and in addition benefit from this rare opportunity to gain first-hand experience of working in football.”

Nehal N Mandrekar (20) is in her first year at the Don Bosco College, studying physical education. She has a black belt in karate and she competes at the national level, travelling regularly to competitions. She is also a karate instructor.

Nehal said: “My teacher at the college encouraged us to take up this volunteering opportunity. And I’m glad I did: it’s been fun and inspiring and I am keen to learn more about football.”

Football has become a second sport for Nehal and she now plays for the college team. During the tournament her days are long, starting at 7.30am at the college, with practical sessions, and usually leaves the stadium at around 10 or 11pm, after the last match.

“At first my parents didn’t want me to work that late, as my hometown, Mapusa, is quite far. But since the LOC provides transport it hasn’t been a problem at all.”

Balachandra Jadar (21) is also studying for a bachelor’s degree in physical education at the college in Panjim. At the AFC U-16 he works as an assistant media officer at the GCM Stadium.

Balachandra said: “Volunteering at the tournament has been a very good experience. I am a big football fan and I decided to take part as soon as I heard about this opportunity. I enjoy watching how the competing teams prepare for the matches.

“I am an FC Goa supporter and I come to all the matches at this stadium. I have previously worked at club’s matches in ticketing. But this experience, at an AFC tournament, is at the international level so it is very special.”

Balachandra is in his last year of studies and he already has a bachelor’s degree in mathematics. He will graduate in physical education in May next year and hopes to become a director of physical education and sports at his college in the future.

For some of the volunteers the opportunity at the AFC U-16 Championship may not be a one-off, as they will also be offered the exciting chance of joining the volunteer programme for the FIFA U-17 World Cup, organised in the country next year.

“I would love to be involved in the FIFA World Cup here next year”, says Balachandra enthusiastically. And the training and experience gained at the AFC U-16 Championship in Goa will surely help if he indeed volunteers again at the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017 where Goa will be one of the venues.

munna219777Carbon_14
  • deepudeepu Somaliya1621 Points
    How many players in current Indian squad are overage and by how many?
  • deepudeepu Somaliya1621 Points
    And by how much age difference
  • nikhilnikhil blru548 Points
    edited September 2016
    Physicality is a big factor at this age group tournament. When the opposition have decent CBs and Mids who are well over 6 feet and expecting the likes of Boris to outwit and outperform the opponents is is realistic and the result against Iran is testimonial to that. Also owing to the physical limitations of our players there is no one in the team to fill the role of holding midfielders limiting our game play along the wings.

Unless the AIFF-SAI scouting program miraculously managed to get a few players that are physically  as well as technically good, i don't think we might get even a single point at the group stage in the world cup.

Domnicashindiamunna219777
  • ashindiaashindia 9264 Points

We are gaining nothing by hosting this World Cup, just some mileage and hype which will run down in few years.  What are we doing for the next set of players ? where's the next batch ?? Apart from the A & B team how many more players at this age group are being developed ? What happened to the AIFF Academies which were supposed to groom Dutch style players ? What kind of infrastructure is being developed, I don't see any major stadium upgrades or training facilities being built, most of them are already existing. Actually we don't even have a proper league to groom these players(ISL becoming main league etc etc are all still like castle being built in air, there is no proper conclusion on it).

What is the use of hosting such tournaments when you have nothing prepared to carry on the legacy. When we were announced as hosts everything was exciting right from the roadmap to the prospective of watching a football WC first time in life(which of course still is).

What disappoints me is that things could have been much better but unfortunately in India we talk more do less, promise more give less and always happy with very less. But end of the day as an Indian football fan I have vent my frustration in IFN and then support our team no matter what. Lets hope things move faster and U-17 WC be a better show for us :)

Deb_BanAshleshkarenesudhakar2050souravindiadeepakcarchakkartik91munna219777Carbon_14silicon3and 1 other.
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9970 Points
    Spot on, @ashindia . The whole state of affairs is frustrating. So much so, I did not even watch the second half of the match (what's the point).

We must keep in mind the U16 -- or other junior teams -- are not an one time affair that you assemble and get done with. Unless there is a steady flow of players we won't move an inch. For that we need a system which you are talking about. Unless we put up a sustainable system in place, this one time interventions would only serve the self-seekers like PP (and Nita Aunty) and nobody else. We will keep sitted while the likes of Vietnam, or Philipines, Myanmar or Afghans would zoom past us.
    ashindiadeepakc