Arsenal : The 2012-13 Season

Comments

• > silicon3 said:
    >
    Looking at the India VS Syria match i could think of how Arsenal defense was last 2 years and indian NT defense.. 

Come on, you know the Arsenal defense when healthy is the best in the Premier League. In fact our best back 4 last season only played 14 games and only gave 0.50 goals per game. 
  • vermelean is the new captain

• Terp13Terp13 47 Points

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    > > silicon3 said:
    > >
    Looking at the India VS Syria match i could think of how Arsenal defense was last 2 years and indian NT defense.. 

>
    >

Come on, you know the Arsenal defense when healthy is the best in the Premier League. In fact our best back 4 last season only played 14 games and only gave 0.50 goals per game. 

Arsenal defense does not come close to being the best in the premier league. If you look at the data for the past 5 years, the highest defensive ranking we held was 4th while the lowest was 7th if you consider the number of goals allowed. 5 years ago we allowed 31 goals, then we allowed 37, then we allowed 41, then 43, and last year we allowed 49. The trend actually shows we are getting worse in defense. What's scary is that before we used to demolish teams 6-0 but now we are winning more close matches than ever so our offensive dominance is diminishing while our defense continues to get worse. There shouldn't be that much of a difference in performance of the players regardless of whether they are starters or not. You yourself praised Mertesacker and Djorou. We needed vertonghen but he is an asshole anyways so I don't care but another defensive signing would have been great.
    On the other hand, comparing the Arsenal defense to the Indian one is Ludicrous. Arsenal defense is better than any Asian Team defense, most European team defense and even most club teams defense but not the best in the premier league by a long shot.
  • I am talking about when we have the best back four. The last 5 years we had so many different combinations. Do you really think a back four of Sagna, Vermaelan, Per/Laurent, Gibbs/Santos is bad? Last year Arsenal had the least number of games with our starting back 4 and when we did we only had 15 games and only gave up 7 goals (0.50 a game). That is not bad at all. Also look at the players we had last season, it was so bad we had at one point a back four of Yennaris, Miquel, Song, DJ. You have no idea how bad it was last season.

This season I am confident we can keep the defense straight though. We have 3 world class options at CB + DJ who is the best 4th choice in the league (yes he is). We have 2 good Left Backs in Gibbs and Santos. And we have Sagna coming back next month and 3 options for back-up RBs in Jenkinson, Yennaris and Coq. And if people actually leave the 2 goals against Man City in a PRE-SEASON match out then Jenkinson is a good back-up at RB. 

Vertongen is shit. Saw him with Spurs in New York, I am glad we did not get him and we dont need him. We dont have room. Remember the Arsenal defense at there best managed to only concede 1 goal to Barcelona. Managed to keep a clean sheet against Chelsea last season. Managed to keep a clean sheet against Manchester City last season and managed to keep the German champions to only 1 goal in 2 games.  
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points

any prediction for Stoke Vs Arsenal?... i fear this will again be a draw...

• kshitij USFCkshitij USFC 250 Points
    edited August 2012

silicon3 said:
    any prediction for Stoke Vs Arsenal?... i fear this will again be a draw...

ur right arsenal 0 stoke 0

AFC moving in right direction to acheive their aim(4th place)

• Fuc* off. There are 36 games left and this was Stoke. Stoke is one of the 2 hardest places to win at, second being Swansea.

• kshitij USFCkshitij USFC 250 Points
    edited August 2012

Arsenalkid700 said:
    Fuc* off. There are 36 games left and this was Stoke. Stoke is one of the 2 hardest places to win at, second being Swansea.

be it 36 or just 6 games left arsenal r good for nothing.4th spot is the most they can acheive this year.btw i agree that stoke is one hardest places to win.

• > kshitij USFC said:
    > > Arsenalkid700 said:
    > > Fuc* off. There are 36 games left and this was Stoke. Stoke is one of the 2 hardest places to win at, second being Swansea.
    >
    > be it 36 or just 6 games left arsenal r good for nothing.4th spot is the most they can acheive this year.btw i agree that stoke is one hardest places to win.

Really 4th place? You got to be kidding me. This Arsenal team are better than 4th. If we can maintain our team, get Sagna, Wilshere, and Rosicky back in September/October and get Podolski and Giroud 1 goal (1 GOAL) then they can tear the league up. To say Arsenal are a 4th place team means that you dont watch Arsenal or not closely enough.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

Arsenal missing the arteta who was mostly part of all attacks which ended up goals....a good dmc would give him the freedom to be part of attack more than present and after that arsenal could well be among the title contention..

With diaby only there artera is playing much behind than where i would love to see him play.. cabaye would be great addition if he comes