I-league news

Comments

• Remember in the Kolkata giants, the coaches DO NOT HAVE ANY SAY in player recruitment and that to me has been the bane of these two clubs, more so MMB this season.

This is the worst part of Kolkata giants, I don't know when are they going to change or they are going to change at all. Though this time in EB, Morgan did have some say in selection of some of its players.
  • Remember in the Kolkata giants, the coaches DO NOT HAVE ANY SAY in player recruitment and that to me has been the bane of these two clubs, more so MMB this season.

This is the worst part of Kolkata giants, I don't know when are they going to change or they are going to change at all. Though this time in EB, Morgan did have some say in selection of some of its players.

Although Morgan had some say but not ENOUGH. That being said, giving someone like MORGAN who has zero understanding of Indian football a lot of say in player selection can be another nightmare. An example will make my point clearer, I hope. It was Morgan's insistence for Alan Gow that delayed EB's fourth foreign player recruitment. First and foremost, someone of the profile of Gow would not come to play in India had he not been rejected by top Scottish clubs for some good reasons. Alan Gow had muscle atrophy and he thought he could MANAGE in Indian football, fully unaware Indian football has its set of challenges. First and foremost, grounds in India are very hard, even the astro turf pitches are very average quality, in some cases cricket grounds with a very very hard pitch in the middle doubles up as a football ground, add to that games being held in the afternoon heat 3 pm in Goa. Skill or no skill, your body needs to be in prime condition to be able to handle such harsh conditions. Leave alone Mr. Morgan, most incoming coaches won't have an inkling of all these insider information. Next the referees, I personally feel some of them like Srikrishna, Vishnu Chauhan, Pratap Singh should take up comedian roles in the movie industry and hang up their whistle for good. Less I talk about the referees, especially those who hail from states like Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Uttarkhand with absolutely no football culture, the better.

Coming back to the main issue after having clarified the perils of allowing new incoming foreign coaches a lot of say in player recruitment, I SERIOUSLY THINK top Indian coaches like Armando Colaco (he already has 100% say in recruitment), subrata bhattacharya, sanjoy sen or someone like Karim Bencharifa who has spent close to half a dozen years in India is the WAY TO GO. Karim recruits for Salgaocar and his results speaks volumes. Unfortunately Calcutta coaches like Subrata or Sanjoy Sen aren't given any say in recruiting, had that been the case, they would have been doubly successful and foreign coaches like Morgan wouldn't even have a job in India.
  • Khalid Jamil has proved to the world who the real 'shaitan' is. After targetting James Moga in their previous match by calling him a 'shaitan'(devil) he has done it again in their Dempo match by constantly targetting Climax. I fear Jamil may have a mental breakdown if MFC have to be relegated.
  • From goal.com to here. I am sorry but you guys need to get off his back. He is probably the next Armando Colaco in Indian coaching and yet you guys torment him. He probably had a reason for what he said. We dont know what happens on the pitch.

Also Mumbai FC wont get relegated. They will (in my opinion) survive and over the summer splash the cash. Right now Jamil is being held back from expenses that MFC are forced to pay. Who payed to money for the Cooperage Ground, Mumbai FC that is who along with WIFA. Who had to pay the expenses of moving to the Balewadi... Mumbai FC. Air India did squat and made MFC do all the work and yet Air India cant even pay its players. Once all that is payed off I think Mumbai and Khalid Jamil will fly and become contenders for the top 6.
  • Mumbai FC won't be relegated for sure, I can say this from my experience. Also we cannot allow it to be relegated as this will be a deterrent to the growing interest in football in Maharashtra. Among the big money states, only Maharashtra seems to taking some interest. The NCR region is an absolute minefield when it comes to private investments in football. The Chennai region has zero interest in soccer among the wealthy class. Hyderabad was once a powerhouse and some wonderful talent, the likes of Shabbir Ali, Nayeemuddin hailed from there but they are too focused on cricket these days. So, for God's sake, we need Maharashtra to come up and come up fast and not through office based clubs, Mumbai FC cannot be allowed to fail at any cost. Kenkre FC has been doing some work in the youth stage.
  • projenatorprojenator 26 Points
    edited February 2012
    Coming back to the Gurpreet Singh drama, Morgan today blamed Mehtab Hussain for taking the short corner and Saumik De for not tackling Vincent before he crossed midfield. Tanumoy Bose, who coached Gurpreet in the youth stage is saying that Gurpreet's headwork and shooting in not good enough to score goals from corners.

Now doesn't this illustrate very clearly the errors in judgement foreign coaches make by trying to implement ideas from European football with out the requisite groundwork and training of players at the youth level ? Something similar happened with Karim in Calcutta, after the first year he ran out of imagination and the media publicity got to his head, add to that the coaches don't have full say in team recruitment in Kolkata but I must add that Karim had better players at his disposal in MMB than he has with Salgaocar. Give or take, I think Karim is the right person to be handed the India coaching job once his Salgaocar contract is over. He has seen enough of Indian football, also he will bring in international best practices and since he has a physical instructor degree, he keeps the team very fit and in prime condition which Steve Darby failed miserably with MMB this season. Darby assumed that players will take care of their fitness in the off season like they do overseas in the professional circuit, not so in India, here players come back putting on extra weight from the off season given their wayward diet add to that the bohemian lifestyle of some players.

In fact, Darby got so frustrated with the ways of some of the players at MMB that he mocked them as ILLITERATE but unfortunately that is what you have to work with in India, no wonder my prescription is to have foreign coaches like Colin Toal at the junior level and coaches with sufficient India exposure, foreign or otherwise at the senior level
  • Mumbai FC won't be relegated for sure, I can say this from my experience. Also we cannot allow it to be relegated as this will be a deterrent to the growing interest in football in Maharashtra. Among the big money states, only Maharashtra seems to taking some interest. The NCR region is an absolute minefield when it comes to private investments in football. The Chennai region has zero interest in soccer among the wealthy class. Hyderabad was once a powerhouse and some wonderful talent, the likes of Shabbir Ali, Nayeemuddin hailed from there but they are too focused on cricket these days. So, for God's sake, we need Maharashtra to come up and come up fast and not through office based clubs, Mumbai FC cannot be allowed to fail at any cost. Kenkre FC has been doing some work in the youth stage.

Well with the way Kenkre had played yesterday in the 2nd Division I doubt it.

Also I have been keeping a close eye on the Indian Stock Market (Stock market game at my school and my plan is the use the Indian market because all my classmates are only using American stocks which are not doing well right now) and guess who is doing well.

That is right, Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M). I am hoping that they will consider a return to football but not with there own club but as sponsors of Mumbai FC. Leave the name as Mumbai FC or as M&M would probably prefere, Mumbai United FC and use the money from Essel Group, TEN Sports, and M&M to spend on the squad. Of course though they should use some of that money for marketing and such.

Also I still believe in Chennai and Hyderabad. The recent Chennai Local League brought hundreds and sometimes thousands of people in to watch the matches. Hyderabad also. They have a future. They just need the right ownership, team name, marketing and stadium.
  • I just highlighted Kenkre doing some work in the youth stage, something is better than nothing. In my opinion, YOUTH DEVELOPMENT AND NUMEROUS ACADEMIES WITH VERY STRUCTURED BEST PRACTICE TRAINING IS THE NEED OF THE HOUR IN INDIAN FOOTBALL, not one foreign coach in charge of the senior team. It will take time for Maharashtra to give Goa and Calcutta tough competition, for that there needs to be more people like you encouraging football in their city/state whatever. Among the educated well to do, its so difficult to find Indians who understand, discuss and appreciate football, more so Indian football, everyone is just so crazy about cricket and bollywood. Well to do educated Indians need to broaden their horizons a bit for heaven's sake. I don't agree that Indian football lacks in competition and excitement, it is deficient in skill, accuracy and football sense from the advanced football nations
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    as far as youth level goes there are good clubs in that position with the likes of kenkre(who is probably only mumbai club to run their own youth league) and pifa who are known for their european trips also promote their young talents in their main team...but all they lacks is the financial stability to be challenging enough among in the national stage ..including mumbai fc a bit who are also getting a bit reluctant to invest much on the team..
    if these clubs get ready to join hands and work together then they can do some wonders for mumbai football and may lift the team among elites of indian football
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    I AM NOT SURE OF PIFa team motives