Economics of I league

Comments

• So... here is something I thought I would bring to light here after the debate over ticket revenue:

• In USA, tickets for sporting events are very highly priced. even College Football tickets are like 50-100 dollars range. plus people buy merchandise, season tickets as well as spend money on Tailgating.
    In UK, fans spend on tickets, pub, sports betting.
    India is far far behind-we need free pass to bring public.

• > munna21977 said:
    > In USA, tickets for sporting events are very highly priced. even College Football tickets are like 50-100 dollars range. plus people buy merchandise, season tickets as well as spend money on Tailgating.

Well its changing slightly with the Indian Premier League leading the way and World Series Hockey (soon will be Hockey India League) is coming up as well.

Indian football is very, very, VERY, slowly getting it done as well with merchandise but we need more fan initiatives... tickets, season tickets, etc.

However the question is... When will we finally get it?
  • archakarchak 2082 Points

> munna21977 said:
    > In USA, tickets for sporting events are very highly priced. even College Football tickets are like 50-100 dollars range. plus people buy merchandise, season tickets as well as spend money on Tailgating.

moreover we need to look at the economy of the country(purchasing power and Income of per person) also..... remember a significant percentage of India is below the poverty line 
  • > archak said:
    > > munna21977 said:
    > > In USA, tickets for sporting events are very highly priced. even College Football tickets are like 50-100 dollars range. plus people buy merchandise, season tickets as well as spend money on Tailgating.

>
    >

moreover we need to look at the economy of the country(purchasing power and Income of per person) also..... remember a significant percentage of India is below the poverty line 

Okay its not fully bad. Dont act as if everyone is in such a shit land that they cant even play a few rupees just to see professional football. 90,000 people had the power to actually pay to see the Kolkata derby.

I bet you will add Messi etc to Goa and people would actually pay. Same anywhere in India so dont give me the Indian economy as an excuse to what we do now.
  • archakarchak 2082 Points

@rohan not saying that as an excuse but as one of the factors that the clubs need to take into their account for ticketing...

• > archak said:
    > @rohan not saying that as an excuse but as one of the factors that the clubs need to take into their account for ticketing...

Oh, then yes I agree. I mean I looked at prices of the IPL tickets and they are cheap in some areas and yet the teams still get complaints for high priced tickets.

I think its a mix if the economy of India and the basic attitude toward sport in India. Sport in India is not popular enough or seen in the way of being expensive, something that is meant to be awarding. It is looked at as cheap entertainment.

Of course I will give India the excuse that sports only started to get popular a few years ago (Cricket and to an extent hockey having the early head starts) while in the USA proper sports were played since the 1920s while in England proper sport was played in the 2nd half of the 20th century (sometime within the 1980s).

India has a while to go in sport overall but we are getting there but we need to change the attitude as well towards sports.
  • Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited December 2012

FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!!

ONGC! Why even move them to Delhi in the first place!
  • Rubbish!!!! free entry for home match by ONGC. and the crowd will be supporting Sikkim.
    :P
    putting more pressure on themselves.