Unknown Players

Comments

• sabirsabir 46 Points
    @ Shankar ...Exactly. Kolkata clubs are ready to spend a lot of money for established players but not a single paise for the development of the young players. Today Mohan Bagan paying 2 cr to Odafe but the same player didn't get any Kolkata few years ago. The clubs never tried to have their own infrastructure still living in last British Era. Some thing should be made mandatory to participate in I-league (may be 3 years time frame can be set to achieve that)-

1)Own stadium, Practice grounds, Gym, Pools.
    2) Specified facility and security arrangement for the viewrs in the stadium and players in the field and dressing room.
    3) U-13, U16 & U-19 teams and specified facilities for them.
    4) Licensed coach, physical trainer and doctor for every team.

Besides - Santosh Trophy should be made purely U23 affairs and only local footballers non I-league players are to represent the state. This will bring some players in focus who are yet to be picked up by big teams- a opportunity for the small team players.
  • Asim Biswas , Rahim Nabi, Sunil Chhetry were in same age group. When Asim established himself in the senior team as a worthy replacement of Vijayan other two were nowhere in picture. Unfortunately some serious injury took two years from his career and he is totally out of competition. Else we have to take his name with Baichung.

Sumit is around 20 years old, looks like 5'10" in height. He must work for improvement of his physical fitness unfortunately most of the clubs in Kolkata dont have much opportunity.

Projenetor you made a very valid points. We have lost many good talent as they lost after coming in big cities. I am afraid Robin Singh is going to be the next in the list if he doesnt check himself. Remember Lalampuia? Gunbir Singh to joined senior team at 18-19 years of age but vanished when he was 23.

The club officials should take the responsibilities to guide these players because their poor back ground dont provide it to them. Sumit must be included in Pailan Arrows which have good facilities and he will remain focused there while gathering international exposure.

Have you seen Manirul Mondal, the madatory U19 player of Md Sporting in the last match against Mohun Bagan? Mohun Bagan supporter and the Goal Keeper will not forget him soon. :D . His shooting is very impressive. Very few players in India can keep the ball within frame constantly from such long distances what he was doing. Mohun Bagan was lucky that Sangram saved them. But his height and physicall structure is not impressive. Arjun Chatterjee, another U19 from Prayag is very impressive too.

Coming back to Sumit, I will rank him above Snehashish because Sumit's playing is much cleaner though Snehashish was better dribbler. But Sumit's finishing and passing (I have watched him in last three matches of George, he rarely make mispass.) are certainly better.

I am keeping a close eye on Manirul but I think it's too early to make any comment. While he impressed with this shooting in the MB game, his shooting in the Aryan game was lackluster and inconsistent but I know he is a young guy with lots of time to work on his game.

Sumit does not mispass much, true but I want to see him in more pressure games before making a final conclusion. Mispasses happen when there is pressure. Also Sumit has better skeletal structure than Snehasish.

Replying to another comment on fitness program of clubs, my take on this is the players need to work on their fitness on their own. In India during off season, most players slack off while elsewhere everyone goes to the gym daily. The notion is you are an athlete first and then comes your skill at the game. For e.g. Robin Singh has very poor attitude. He comes from a very rich family, very very well built and he has been given umpteen chances with East Bengal first team till date but his strike rate is way below average. He looks very callous on the pitch in the games with smaller teams and with the bigger teams who put him under pressur, he looses his cool and starts complaining to the referee and all other drama to follow with it. He mispasses a hell lot and his shoot is very wayward most of the time. Semilen Dongel seem more promising to me than Robin Singh. If Robin does not get serious at improving his passing and shooting right away, I think it's time that East Bengal look for other options. At 50 lakhs which is the price he charges, EB will get lots of good players.
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    LEAD5.jpg.crop_display.jpg

Name :- Usman Ashik
    Club :- Viva Kerala
    Position :- Left Winger

No matter what the associations running football say about the 7’s version of the game they cannot deny the truth — that there is enormous talent in the shorter format of the game.

A perfect example is Usman Ashik, the 19-year-old wily left-winger of Chirag United Kerala who was hand-picked from the 7’s cauldron in Malappuram and has since then turned into an exciting prospect for the club in the I-League.

It was five months ago that Ashik was spotted by Chirag’s assistant coach Bino George, while playing for a Kottakal-based club in a 7’s tournament.

The lean footballer with a strong left foot made a quick impression on Bino and he wasted no time in striking a deal.

After a few notable second half appearances off the bench, Usman came up to his billing when he shrugged off the Salgaocar defence to provide a crucial pass to P. K. Anil Kumar, resulting in a late equaliser for his side.

Chief coach Nizam Packeer Ali realising it was time the boy was rewarded for his hardwork, included him in the starting XI in the Prayag game, which at that point was a gamble.

However, the boy from Ottapalam raised a few eyebrows when he ran inside from the wing, putting himself in a promising position, shrugging off a tackle from Bello Rasaq, one of the best foreign defenders in India, before chipping the ball, only to be denied by the woodwork.

Usman says that Ottapalam Asif has inspired him the most. “He is a 7’s player and was my senior. He played a great role in mentoring the footballer in me,” Hailing from a family of six, Usman is the oldest of the four children of Khader and Aysha. He does miss the loud roaring cheer of 7’s football supporters, but he does not regret his switch-over to the 11’s and wants to play, not for money or recognition, but for the passion of the game.

“I’m fortunate to be here, it is all the Almighty’s grace. In football you never know how many years you might play, but it is a challenge to make every moment count and make the most of every opportunity you are given to play on the pitch,” said Usman who is a huge fan of Lionel Messi.

Source :- DC
  • LEAD5.jpg.crop_display.jpg

Name :- Usman Ashik
    Club :- Viva Kerala
    Position :- Left Winger

No matter what the associations running football say about the 7’s version of the game they cannot deny the truth — that there is enormous talent in the shorter format of the game.

A perfect example is Usman Ashik, the 19-year-old wily left-winger of Chirag United Kerala who was hand-picked from the 7’s cauldron in Malappuram and has since then turned into an exciting prospect for the club in the I-League.

It was five months ago that Ashik was spotted by Chirag’s assistant coach Bino George, while playing for a Kottakal-based club in a 7’s tournament.

The lean footballer with a strong left foot made a quick impression on Bino and he wasted no time in striking a deal.

After a few notable second half appearances off the bench, Usman came up to his billing when he shrugged off the Salgaocar defence to provide a crucial pass to P. K. Anil Kumar, resulting in a late equaliser for his side.

Chief coach Nizam Packeer Ali realising it was time the boy was rewarded for his hardwork, included him in the starting XI in the Prayag game, which at that point was a gamble.

However, the boy from Ottapalam raised a few eyebrows when he ran inside from the wing, putting himself in a promising position, shrugging off a tackle from Bello Rasaq, one of the best foreign defenders in India, before chipping the ball, only to be denied by the woodwork.

Usman says that Ottapalam Asif has inspired him the most. “He is a 7’s player and was my senior. He played a great role in mentoring the footballer in me,” Hailing from a family of six, Usman is the oldest of the four children of Khader and Aysha. He does miss the loud roaring cheer of 7’s football supporters, but he does not regret his switch-over to the 11’s and wants to play, not for money or recognition, but for the passion of the game.

“I’m fortunate to be here, it is all the Almighty’s grace. In football you never know how many years you might play, but it is a challenge to make every moment count and make the most of every opportunity you are given to play on the pitch,” said Usman who is a huge fan of Lionel Messi.

Source :- DC

Nicely found Ash. This kid sounds very promising. Maybe not soon to be India legend promising but still maybe India call-up promising. Chirag Kerala seems to be the place to find your youngsters in
  • I will be on a lookout for this fella in the KEB game, how he fares against Gurwinder and Opara, the strongest and reasonably technically sound stopper duo in the country today. Not only that, he will have to contend with the guiles of Naoba Singh, i can't wait to see how he fares against them. In the Prayag match, Dipak Mondal was not there, although slowed down but Dipak is technically very correct.

I think Anil Kumar deserves a national call up given his frame and his reasonable frequency of scoring goals.
  • I will be on a lookout for this fella in the KEB game, how he fares against Gurwinder and Opara, the strongest and reasonably technically sound stopper duo in the country today. Not only that, he will have to contend with the guiles of Naoba Singh, i can't wait to see how he fares against them. In the Prayag match, Dipak Mondal was not there, although slowed down but Dipak is technically very correct.

I think Anil Kumar deserves a national call up given his frame and his reasonable frequency of scoring goals.

Anil Kumar is to old now. Good enough for domestic games but I doubt he can play internationally anymore.

As for this kid, I would not expect much from him in the KEB game as he is still inexperienced and was playing 7 a sides till the age of 19 so expect a reasonably quiet game from him
  • Indian national team desperately needs strikers with reasonably good built. Both Sunil and Jeje are too short to succeed against any team other than the South Asian ones, a fair shoulder charge is enough to hustle them off the ball, also as Trevor Morgan once pointed out they have short stride and not enough "sudden burst" of pace like Tolgay Ozbey. In fact they were having a tough time with Afghanistan against Jalaluddin Chettiyar until the penalty upset the Afghan rhythm, no wonder Bob Houghton tried his best with Bhaichung Bhutia. The current Indian team desperately needs him, if he was fit enough just to hover around the box, he can still be a threat.

If we have a striker who can at least hover round the box, pretty sure Anil has that much stamina but has to be reasonably perfect with this shooting. Sushil Singh and Abranches, who have a good enough frame are very scratchy with their shooting and passing. Among the upcoming crop of players. Holicharan Narzary needs to bulk up a bit though extensive gym work and protein supplements to his diet. Sabeeth is very energetic but he needs to work on his shooting. There is a dearth of players with proper striking ability in India at present, so I had no option but suggest that Anil Kumar be tried out since Bhaichung with his calf injury can barely run 70 minutes.
  • Indian national team desperately needs strikers with reasonably good built. Both Sunil and Jeje are too short to succeed against any team other than the South Asian ones, a fair shoulder charge is enough to hustle them off the ball, also as Trevor Morgan once pointed out they have short stride and not enough "sudden burst" of pace like Tolgay Ozbey. In fact they were having a tough time with Afghanistan against Jalaluddin Chettiyar until the penalty upset the Afghan rhythm, no wonder Bob Houghton tried his best with Bhaichung Bhutia. The current Indian team desperately needs him, if he was fit enough just to hover around the box, he can still be a threat.

If we have a striker who can at least hover round the box, pretty sure Anil has that much stamina but has to be reasonably perfect with this shooting. Sushil Singh and Abranches, who have a good enough frame are very scratchy with their shooting and passing. Among the upcoming crop of players. Holicharan Narzary needs to bulk up a bit though extensive gym work and protein supplements to his diet. Sabeeth is very energetic but he needs to work on his shooting. There is a dearth of players with proper striking ability in India at present, so I had no option but suggest that Anil Kumar be tried out since Bhaichung with his calf injury can barely run 70 minutes.

I kinda agree. I 100% disagree with the fact that Sunil and Jeje can only do well against South Asian teams. Sunil and Jeje were in fatigue. You try going under SUPER TRAINING with Rangers FC and then coming back to India (over 1000 miles) and playing a game every 2 days with a team you are not close to. Trust me Sunil and Jeje are killers and with Jeje being only 20 years old I can see him beating teams up soon.

As for Sushil and Joaquim I do agree but if we need strikers with stamina why not go after Manandeep Singh who is the top Indian scorer this year in I-League. Or maybe even Victorino Fernandes or even CK Vineeth. We need to go young.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    Indian national team desperately needs strikers with reasonably good built. Both Sunil and Jeje are too short to succeed against any team other than the South Asian ones, a fair shoulder charge is enough to hustle them off the ball, also as Trevor Morgan once pointed out they have short stride and not enough "sudden burst" of pace like Tolgay Ozbey. In fact they were having a tough time with Afghanistan against Jalaluddin Chettiyar until the penalty upset the Afghan rhythm, no wonder Bob Houghton tried his best with Bhaichung Bhutia. The current Indian team desperately needs him, if he was fit enough just to hover around the box, he can still be a threat.

I kinda agree. I 100% disagree with the fact that Sunil and Jeje can only do well against South Asian teams. Sunil and Jeje were in fatigue. You try going under SUPER TRAINING with Rangers FC and then coming back to India (over 1000 miles) and playing a game every 2 days with a team you are not close to. Trust me Sunil and Jeje are killers and with Jeje being only 20 years old I can see him beating teams up soon.

As for Sushil and Joaquim I do agree but if we need strikers with stamina why not go after Manandeep Singh who is the top Indian scorer this year in I-League. Or maybe even Victorino Fernandes or even CK Vineeth. We need to go young.

i would say manandeep who got good height around 5'11 and good physique too and more importantly scoring goals regularly unlike robin singh or any other strikers i would want him to be called for join national camp at least for the afc challenge cup if not in bayern friendly....
  • I have watched every game Sunil and Jeje played in the last three years both together and also for their respective clubs in the I league. In fact, I have watched Sunil since the beginning of his career which was not at all that promising. He improved his game a bit at JCT. In fact if allowed to compare against erstwhile Indian strikers starting from the days of Chuni Goswami, Balaram, P K Banerjee, Subhash Bhowmick, Krishanu Dey to the likes of IM Vijayan, Bhaichung, Sunil and Jeje are just a pale shadow. I agree that Jeje needs to be given more time to mature but Sunil is just a paper tiger given the standard of strikers presently in the country caused by the national clubs strong preference of foreign strikers over Indian ones. I saw the game Kansas city played against Man United, he barely had the ball in that game, forget about doing anything. Having watched soccer in America from close, I knew Sunil would not succeed in the US the day I heard he was heading there. I am in full agreement with Rob Banh that Sunil barely has any chance of succeeding outside India given his average technique, poor frame and lack of burst in pace. He can concoct stories of his abroad stints and keep on fooling the Indian audience who barely has any other option to root for being the lone Indian striker right now. The abroad stint stories are the most recent stunts of some of the players the other two being Anwar Ali and Robin Singh, both of whom are technically pathetic and concoct these to jack up their price in the Indian market. The most recent game against Zambia is another case in point, just one defender was enough to keep Sunil at Bay in the second half, they just resorted to zonal marking and Sunil started mispassing under pressure. Sunil does not have enough success in the Indian club scene and constantly complains about poor facilities which are just excuses to cover up for his deficiencies. In the Indian club scene. he is nowhere near the likes of Odafa, chidi, tolgay, ranti martins and the like. He only has something to show with the national team where he competes with juniors like Jeje and leaden footed players like Sushil Singh (who does not even get a club in the I-league) and Abranches (who is not in the starting eleven with Dempo most of the time) or inconsistent injury prone players like Mohd Rafi.

I have been following Indian football for eons and not at all convinced with Sunil chetri's limited capabilities. I am in complete agreement with Rob Banh and Trevor Morgan on this and both of them have far superior credentials compared to Sunil.