Economics of I league

Comments

• archakarchak 2082 Points
    <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.indianfootballnetwork.com/blog/2011/08/18/i-league-2011-12-clubs-to-organize-their-home-matches/#axzz1a1njtD4x"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.indianfootballnetwork.com/blog/2011 ... z1a1njtD4x</a><!-- w -->
  • Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited April 2012
    archak wrote:

<div>That article was a good read and hopefully it is true. We need all this really implemented.

One extra thing though that I was thinking about is a foreign player per position rule like only one foreign player can play forward and then another on at either mid, defense, or goal. I say this because in every Indian Football cup competition I see that there are always foreigners at the top scorers list yet no Indians.<!-- s:confusion-seeingstars: --></div>
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    that rule can easily be twisted. so its is of no use
  • leelee 0 Points
    so true, that rule is important and the national team should play on fifa calendar, why dont they do that?
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    edited April 2012
    lee wrote:
    so true, that rule is important and the national team should play on fifa calendar, why dont they do that?
     <div>coz our ranking is 162, so no good teams want to play against us on fifa dates which makes aiff difficult to find the opponent</div>
  • That is why I say half the things I do. The current format of I-League or Indian Football wont attract big Indian Companies like TATA Motors or Mahindra and Mahindra. Right now Pune FC are showing us the proper way to run a football club and look at the sponsors they have Peninsula, Infosys, Adidas, Herbalife. These are big international and national companies and they are willing to work with Pune FC because they run there club right. Soon Pune will have 20,000 constantly, around 90% of that 20,000 will be local men who at one point in the childhood went to a Pune FC Youth Camp and got into Indian Football there. Thats how they do it in MLS and that looks to soon look good for Pune.

Right now AIFF is lucky to have Panasonic and Nike as sponsors. Dont know how but they are there. Also I am confident about IMG. They are going slow but look them up and you will see the success they have had. They are a good company which has helped many sports leagues and tournaments in the past and I am sure they can do the same for I-League to.

Also we have to remember that the AIFF and I-League clubs need to do there parts as well. How many I-League clubs do regular youth camps weekly. How many have proper Academies, how many have websites or youtubes, how many have twitters or facebooks. The I-League clubs need to market themselves much better. Most of the clubs sell tickets the day of the match only. NO! You need to sell tickets a week in advance. Buy ad space. Advertise your team on local TV and newspapers. Get your name out there and be sure to also advertise your players as well.

Money can easily come into India. Also the prize money for I-League will change as the AIFF got an increase in budget (not that much though) but once again, money can easily come for Indian Football, we just need to use our damn brains.
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    If AIFF and I-League clubs can come to an conclusion then everything is possible,few clubs definitely have the mileage to sign big name players so they can go ahead and get some media attention then definitely AIFF wont find hard in finding sponsors(buts its revenue has to be shared with the clubs not go into AIFF's pockets).
    edited April 2012
    ashindia wrote:
    If AIFF and I-League clubs can come to an conclusion then everything is possible,few clubs definitely have the mileage to sign big name players so they can go ahead and get some media attention then definitely AIFF wont find hard in finding sponsors(buts its revenue has to be shared with the clubs not go into AIFF's pockets).
    <div> And this my friend is why I want to run the league the Major League Soccer way. We need to set a cap on the league to avoid all the teams spending so much. Last year Dhar said he would start a cap but said that it would be something like "a club can only spend 80% of its budget on players" NO. First we need to stop with weekly wages. Players should earn there money on a yearly bases. Not only will it make it easier to calculate how much money your spending on salaries but it also keeps things more organized. Now with the cap I am not sure what the total payroll of the average I-League club is but lets us a Major League Soccer example...

In Major League Soccer the average player gaines a yearly salary of $300,000 a year. And every MLS team is only allowed 30 players on there team (10 of those 30 players dont count towards the salary cap and must be youth players, so basically each team is allowed to have 20 non-homegrown players and they all count towards the salary cap) So Major League Soccer decided to set the salary cap at $4,500,000. So now any team can sign 20 players but when the league adds up each players salary that number can not reach over $4,500,000. The intention of MLS was that the financies of the teams would now be more organized and also sense the youth players dont count towards the salary cap then we would see more youth players come into MLS. And let me tell you it has worked.

Now for the I-League we first need to make roster rules. Each I-League club should be limited to having 30 players on there roster with 10 of those 30 players having to be youth players. The other 20 can be whatever players you want but the 4 foreign players rule still aplies. Now the league should set up a salary cap in which the total salary payroll can not exceed XXX amount (XXX being the salary cap). This would insure more organized financies, some parity, some more youth players and would mean the rest of the teams budget will be used for other things like stadiums, academies etc.

Also to your point about sharing money. I think the AIFF needs to start transfer fees. So if a team sells a player the selling team would gain 20% of the fee and the rest of the fee would be divided equally to the other teams. (Example: Say a team sells a player for $2,000,000. The selling team would gain $400,000 from the selling and the other $1,600,000 would be divided into 13 so all the teams could gain some money from the sale, so $1,600,000 / 13 = $123,076 for each team BUT the the teams only get $120,000 while that $3076 would go to the league. So the selling team would gain $350,000 ($50,000 would go to the agent), $120,000 each to the other 13 teams and $40,000 to the I-League.

Also in terms of TV Revenue the I-League clubs should gain some money from the National Telecaster and all the I-League clubs should focus on gaining there own regional TV coverage where they gain close to 100% of the revenue because that I-League team is the only team telecasted on that channel.</div>
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    edited April 2012
    arsenalfan wrote:
    Also to your point about sharing money. I think the AIFF needs to start transfer fees. So if a team sells a player the selling team would gain 20% of the fee and the rest of the fee would be divided equally to the other teams. (Example: Say a team sells a player for $2,000,000. The selling team would gain $400,000 from the selling and the other $1,600,000 would be divided into 13 so all the teams could gain some money from the sale, so $1,600,000 / 13 = $123,076 for each team BUT the the teams only get $120,000 while that $3076 would go to the league. So the selling team would gain $350,000 ($50,000 would go to the agent), $120,000 each to the other 13 teams and $40,000 to the I-League.

<div>To implement this there is urgent need to have proper transfer policy in place. Currently, to my knowledge, there is no proper transfer policy in place. Players are signed during off transfer window, this has to be changed indeed, though actual transfer take place only in transfer window. Also most of the clubs sign player on year to year basis as a result almost all players are transferred free of cost (Signing players when they are out of contract).But on other hand I like all other points.</div>
    edited April 2012
    reddevil87 wrote:
    arsenalfan wrote:
     <div>To implement this there is urgent need to have proper transfer policy in place. Currently, to my knowledge, there is no proper transfer policy in place. Players are signed during off transfer window, this has to be changed indeed, though actual transfer take place only in transfer window. Also most of the clubs sign player on year to year basis as a result almost all players are transferred free of cost (Signing players when they are out of contract).But on other hand I like all other points.
    </div><div>  For that I suggest that the AIFF first get the salary cap idea in place and then put in the transfers. Also all transfer dealings done by any I-League club or I-League 2nd Division club must be approved by the AIFF which is what they do in MLS to. Now it wont be like for say Ranty Martins going to East Bengal and then the AIFF saying no because they want Dempo to be champions again because that would be bias. What they would do is in a case like Martins to Bengal the AIFF would first look at the transfer fee and decide if its to much, if they feel the fee is to much then the AIFF say no because they dont want to pay way over Martins value and lets admit it, he is not worth much on a worldwide scale. The AIFF would also make sure that if Bengal gets Martins then that would not put Bengal over the salary cap.

Oh, forgot to mention one thing...
    In MLS we have this rule where a club can sign a maximum of 3 players who dont count towards the salary cap but they count to 2 player spots. This is called the Designated Player rule or the Beckham rule as he was MLSs first DP.

So say the cap is $4,500,000 here in India and Bengal are at $4,400,000 so they can only spend $100,000 on yearly salaries. But Ranty Martins would be worth more than $100,000 in yearly salaries. Also Bengal have 28 players on the 30 man roster. 18 non-homegrown and 10 homegrown. So that leaves them with 2 more roster spots for non-homegrown players. So they would sign Ranty Martins then for over $100,000 and he would not count towards East Bengals salary cap and he would be known as a DP. But Martins will take up 2 Roster spots so now Bengal is at the maximum roster number of players even though they really only have 29 players. Also the DP players must be signed for at least 3 years and they must play in at least 80% of the matches they are considered match-fit for.

As for the case of year by year player contracts the AIFF should make a rule where each club is only allowed to sign 6 players on a 1 year contract. Also all youth players must be signed to at least a 2-3 year contract.</div>